Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-02-2011, 08:07 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Replacement tires

Need to replace the tires on my MH and was wondering how members feel about Goodyear "Unisteel G670" vs Michelin "XZE or XRV". The MH came with Goodyear G670 Load range F but in reading a lot of people like the Michelin. There is about $100 difference per tire in my area. I have a 33ft. with a GVWR of 20,500#. I was thinking about going up to a load range G when I buy the new tires. I would like to save the $600 but do not want to be penny wise and pound foolish with safety.
cbdeajr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 08:29 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Tires: You will get as many opinions as there are tires in the world----and every brand has it's detractors and proponents.

All I can tell you is my ten year old Michelins have preformed everyday exactly like a tire should---I have cared for them and they have cared for me, they look good. But ten years is plenty---time to get new ones.

So I went back with the brand that got me to where I am.

I just bought new Michelin XRV's LRG 235/80-22.5 at Costco and using a sale coupon wound up with a really good price, it was a good price w/o the coupon. Sorry I do not have my receipt right here to tell you exactly--but the price may vary depending on locale anyway--so if you have a Costco close by you can just ask and see what they quote and if you are interested. I was very pleasantly surprised by the deal. I do remember it was just a little more then TOYO"S at a local dealer which would have been my second choice.

They, Costco, will not install but having a dealer do the install still has me beating other MIchelin quotes by about $100. per tire.

I was also impressed with the DOT--I made a point of saying if the tire was more than a certain number of months old I would not accept it--they made a call and the tires I received were two weeks old virtually new.
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 08:44 AM   #3
Winnebago Watcher

My first coach ran on Michelins that came on it for 45K miles - 3 years with no issues. Current coach came on GY G670's and I replaced them with the same tires at 45K miles and was completely happy with them. Wore out the second set someplace in Alaska, but they made it back to the east coast.

FMCA put together a deal with Michelin for members only. I took the deal price to my Goodyear Dealer and said I would rather buy from him. He took one look at the price and told me to go with the Michelin Tires as he could not (would not?) get within $100/tire with G670's and I now have 6 XZE 19.5 with less than 50 miles on them waiting for my next trip in about 2 weeks.

IMHO RV rated tires are about equal. All it takes is one blowout or one rivered tire to make some people think otherwise. In my opinion stuff happens and it can be any brand.
Old 11-02-2011, 11:09 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

I would agree that most of what you will get is opinions, including mine, related to tires.

I have GY G670's on my coach now and they are approaching 7 yrs and I will replace them in 2012. I did have problems with river wear on the front tires and had to rotate them to the rear to keep from feeling the tire cupping in the steering wheel. I won't do G670's next time.

There are many options out there....Toyo, Kuhmo, Bridgestone, Michelin and others. I've never had a problem with Michelin but have always thought they were a bit pricey. While I am leaning toward either Bridgestone or Toyo's, I will investigate Michelin and the FMCA discount. If they can be price competitive with the others, maybe.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 11:55 AM   #5
JC2
Winnie-Wise

Personnaly, I wouldn't put GY tires on my mh on a bet. Read about way to many complaints on them and they are pricey. We had Michelin XRV on our mh and were pleased with them. If you have 19.5 rims, might want to also look at Hankook tires.
Old 11-02-2011, 05:29 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

IN MY OPINION, Michelin tires are not worth the extra expense. Our mh had a set of Michelins that were 6 years old and the sidewalls were badly cracked. This mh had over 50,000 miles when we bought it so these tires were not sitting around. To me, cracking sidewalls on a 6 year old tire is unacceptable. I would not buy Michelins again.
We replaced them with BF Goodrich Commercial T/A's, a few hundred less in cost. So far we've put about 10,000 miles on them with no problems. Time will tell if they hold up.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
baraff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 05:36 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

I went with Bridgestone. Too many complaints about Goodyears...
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
John H... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 05:37 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

barfaff i have 25000 plus on my bf Goodrich commercials from Sams club
whem2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 05:58 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

cbdeajr,
I have just made arrangemets to buy some mich xza3+ tires through the fmca mich advantage program. It is saving me about $85.00 per tire under my dealer price. You can create a mich. account and see your tire cost online. The fmac web site has info on the program.

06 Itasca 40' Horizon KD
Party Barge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 06:18 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

I have the GY 670's 22.5" that are 6 years and 5 months old no cracks to be seen.
Plan to replace them in spring 2015.
I wouldn't put Michelin XRV's on my MH on a bet, if they were $200 a tire cheaper.
After having 2 zipper blow outs with them. At 4 years & 6 years old and cracks in all of them at 4 years.
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 07:58 PM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Called and priced both Goodyear G670 Load Rating G and Michelin XZE Load rating H(what the dealer has in stock). They wanted $518 each for the Goodyear and the Michelin dealer wanted $371.61 each. Both dealers said their tires where mfg this year. From the post I have gotten I was thinking that the Goodyear would be the cheaper of the two. These are the only tire dealer in the area I live so going to drive into the city and check prices.
cbdeajr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 08:13 AM   #12
Winnebago Master

On my 99 Brave i had Goodyear. Replaced them at 63,000 miles for age, not wear or cracks. Put 45,000 miles on the next set, still in good shape. Bought new motor home and put Hankook on it, very pleased and about $100 per tire cheaper.
1999 Jeep Cherokee & 1991 Jeep Wrangler Renegade
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 08:16 AM   #13
Winnebago Watcher

cbdeajr,

Those prices sound comparable to the ranges I had for 245/R70 19.5 LR H tires. I also was not able to get the LR G since the dealer claimed they are not being made in that size.

I would have to get out the invoice from Michelin to verify actual price for tires. Of course mounting, balancing etc add bucks to the final "out the door" cost.
Old 11-03-2011, 08:19 AM   #14
JC2
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by xctraveler View Post
cbdeajr,

Those prices sound comparable to the ranges I had for 245/R70 19.5 LR H tires. I also was not able to get the LR G since the dealer claimed they are not being made in that size.

I would have to get out the invoice from Michelin to verify actual price for tires. Of course mounting, balancing etc add bucks to the final "out the door" cost.

Our (6) Hankooks were around $1700 out the door m&b.
Old 11-03-2011, 08:33 AM   #15
Winnebago Owner

I was quoted $2793 for 6 Mich 235/80/22.5 that was mounting and balance. I want to have solid valve stems installed so that will be added to the cost. I want to eliminate the flexable stainless on duals and short extentions on the others.

Equinox Toad
stearn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 11:59 AM   #16
Winnebago Camper

Our Canadian tire prices are legal thievery. I went with XZE under protest-there were no other brands around in my size. Local GY dealer wouldn't put G670 on-he would only order the XZE. I put the ties on with bead internal balancers and they are smoooth. Got about 3000km now. XZE are built for truck and sidewall says they are regroovable. I think all tires are a fight to keep the ozone and UV off them when not in use. Michelin is right on the money about 10 year replacement. Blowing a XRV on back duel occasioned the $4,200 tire purchase.
POPPASMURF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 10:44 PM   #17
Winnie-Wise

HI Ho: Be sure to check the date code on Goodyear. I wanted the same tires you are looking at but couldn't find any with date codes newer than 6 months old. Finally found out that they don't make them on a regular basis. Anyway, I don't want "new" tires that are already 6 months or more old. Do you?
Dirk
dirko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 07:21 AM   #18
Winnebago Watcher

I agree that I want the most recent manufacturing date I can get. However, my experience has been that I wear out the tires well within the expected life. Coach is an '04 and is sitting on its third set of tires. Therefore 6 months old isn't too bad for me. Of course YMMV
Old 11-04-2011, 08:44 AM   #19
Winnebago Watcher

What was key for me in researching was to identify the weight of the front of our coach and the rear of our coach and do math which tire at the pressures I run would give the best margin of safety in the weight handling capacity of each tire. I am researching for a new set of 295/80R22.5 tires. Bridgestone R250s work for me although I like the new technology in the R280s and the math does not work for me on this model tire. Another factor is that if you go to a truck stop, look at the zillion Bridgestone tires the truckers use above all other brands. The thickness of the sidewalls & overall quality of the tire for the buck make the Bridgestone great for truckers to retread many times. This tire has a history that will surely kept us safe and wear well as a new tire. Michelin also makes a good tire and is more equal in quality to the R250s & R280s Bridgestone than most according to my research.
Old 11-04-2011, 08:54 AM   #20
Winnebago Owner

FWIW - I owned an auto repair shop for twenty years and installed thousands of tires. Out of the dozen most popular brands, we had the most problems with Goodyear, and the least (almost none) with Michelin.

What I always noticed about Michelin is how little weight it took to properly balance them. To me that was a sign of tight quality control.

To say that I am "Thrifty" is an understatement, but even I finally around to installing Michelins on my own vehicles.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Yellowstone Lake 6-1-2012
bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
replacement, tires