Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-09-2008, 09:58 AM   #21

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by flashajt:
A little off topic, but after 6 months of fighting with wheel sims, we decided to invest 2k in Alcoa wheels. LOVE the look and they are much easier to do everything! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'll bet they look great; that's what I wanted to do but could never find a part number or a local source for the Workhorse W20 chassis.
Richard 34A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 10:24 AM   #22
Winnebago Camper

Can someone provide a photo of what the Winnebago supplied tool looks like to take off the wheel simulators. I have a 2006 Suncruiser 38T and can't find anything that looks like it would do the job. I want to get the front simulators off to check the oil level in the hubs. Does the lug with the dimple twist off or just pull off? Once this dimple lug is off does the simulator just pop off? Thanks

2008 Honda Pilot/Racked out with Old Town Kayaks
Slapshottr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 11:07 AM   #23

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Slapshottr:
Can someone provide a photo of what the Winnebago supplied tool looks like to take off the wheel simulators. I have a 2006 Suncruiser 38T and can't find anything that looks like it would do the job. I want to get the front simulators off to check the oil level in the hubs. Does the lug with the dimple twist off or just pull off? Once this dimple lug is off does the simulator just pop off? Thanks </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Download the Winnebago Parts and Accessories catalog at http://www.winnebagoind.com/resource...go_Catalog.pdf and go to page 221, item #D.

My Sightseer came with Dicor brand wheel simulators, so my (two per wheel) lug-nut covers (jam-nuts) must be turned or twisted off, just like a lug-bolt. Some other brands do pull straight off, like Wheel Masters. The wheel lug-nut covers are attatched to the jam-nut, so they come off together. On a previous thread on this subject, I was told that the cover can be pulled off from the jam-nut but I think you would damage the cover doing this. Additionally, when I ordered all new Dicor wheel simulators, they came with all the lug-nut covers and jam-nuts attatched.

Note though, that the provided tool is made out of fairly soft metal and distorts quite easily. It can make it almost impossible to remove the wheel lug-nut covers...
Old 01-09-2008, 11:36 AM   #24
Winnebago Camper

Thanks Now I just have to figure out what type of simu;ators are on a Workhorse W24 2006 Suncruiser 38T. Looked in the owners manual no help there.

2008 Honda Pilot/Racked out with Old Town Kayaks
Slapshottr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 01:59 PM   #25
Winnebago Master

You don't have to take the simulators off to check the bearing oil level. The center section of the simulator pops off with a screw driver.

BTW, my OEM wrench works great because I or no one else overtightens my 2 simulator nuts. I have the front wheels pulled once a year for PA state inspection and I give the simulator nut wrench to the mechanic. I also stay with him and make certain an air wrench is not used on the simulator nuts. One has to be proactive sometimes when having the motorhome serviced or repaired.

-Tom
Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 02:05 PM   #26
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Richard 34A:
Note though, that the provided tool is made out of fairly soft metal and distorts quite easily. It can make it almost impossible to remove the wheel lug-nut covers... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The wrench is intentional made like this because the sim nuts are only snugged tight. No heavy torque required.

-Tom
Old 01-09-2008, 03:22 PM   #27
Winnie-Wise

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">The wrench is intentional made like this because the sim nuts are only snugged tight. No heavy torque required. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Pls tell that to Tom Johnson Camping Ctr near Asheville NC. Others have posted here that the nuts may tighten up while driving. That has not happened to me in 27000 miles, until visiting this svc ctr. This is just my experience with the sim nuts. No biggie; I now have the equipment to rmv the nuts.

Thudman

Koni FSD's, TracBar rear, SteerSafe, 50A SurgeGuard, Eternabond; 2012 Honda CRV EXL w/Nav & AWD
Thudman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 03:35 PM   #28
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Thudman:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">The wrench is intentional made like this because the sim nuts are only snugged tight. No heavy torque required. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Pls tell that to Tom Johnson Camping Ctr near Asheville NC. Others have posted here that the nuts may tighten up while driving. That has not happened to me in 27000 miles, until visiting this svc ctr. This is just my experience with the sim nuts. No biggie; I now have the equipment to rmv the nuts.

Thudman </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

All I can say is my nuts haven't tighten up by driving and my front simulators have been off 5 times in 3 years.

-Tom
Old 01-10-2008, 06:33 AM   #29

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Slapshottr:
Thanks Now I just have to figure out what type of simu;ators are on a Workhorse W24 2006 Suncruiser 38T. Looked in the owners manual no help there. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

My wheel simulator information from Dicor wasn't in the owner's manual, but rather a separate flyer with all the paperwork from Winnebago.

If you look page 221 of the Parts & Accessory catalog, you'll see a decal that fits the center of the hub. If your decal looks like that, I'll bet they are from Dicor. (http://www.dicor.com/)

Also, I'm sure if you call Winnebago Customer Service with your I.D. #, they can tell you the brand of wheel simulator installed.
Old 01-10-2008, 06:54 AM   #30

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Tom N:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Richard 34A:
Note though, that the provided tool is made out of fairly soft metal and distorts quite easily. It can make it almost impossible to remove the wheel lug-nut covers... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The wrench is intentional made like this because the sim nuts are only snugged tight. No heavy torque required.

-Tom </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think the tool is intentionally made this way too, but because a of a maximum production cost of $1.00! While some here have posted that their lug-nut covers have never tightened up, I know that it IS possible because I had a heck of a time getting my old set off, so when I put brand new simulators and jam-nuts on my MH, I took extreme care NOT to over-tighten them. In fact, I was concerned that they might come loose and fall off. 200 miles later and I couldn't get half the jam-nuts off and destroyed the OEM tool.