Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-27-2010, 01:28 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Recommend a Tire Dealer?

Well, the time has come to replace tires on our '05 Journey. I am in the Baltimore/Washington area and just wondered if anyone may have a recommendation for a dealer in this area? Not trying to start one of those brand wars, but since I have never bought tires for anything this big I was looking for a recommendation for or a warning about area dealers?

Thanks,

BugSlayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 06:01 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Me too, and I'm in the Wichita, Kansas area. My 2004 Meridian is starting to look like it will need tire replacements pretty soon. I've noticed a few cracks in the sidewall of one of the tires that I can get a .018 feeler gauge about 1/32 deep. May still be good for a few more miles but I'm getting nervous.

Wagonmaster2
wagonmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 06:42 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

I got a good price on Goodyears from Flying J. Might try em.
Richard
Old 02-27-2010, 06:51 PM   #4
Winnebago Watcher

Bugslayer, take a short trip across the ditch to DE and see Michelin dealer in Milford. Fair prices, NO SALES TAX and great service.

Service Truck Tire Centers 302-422-1585
wkdwitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 05:55 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Thanks all! Two real good possibilities that had not crossed my mind!

Old 03-01-2010, 08:51 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Try Tire Rack Tire Rack - Your performance experts for tires and wheels You can order from them, and have delivery and mounting done at one of their recommended installers. For size and availability, search by brand, then light truck tires. If they have a RV version available it will be listed there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugSlayer View Post
Well, the time has come to replace tires on our '05 Journey. I am in the Baltimore/Washington area and just wondered if anyone may have a recommendation for a dealer in this area? Not trying to start one of those brand wars, but since I have never bought tires for anything this big I was looking for a recommendation for or a warning about area dealers?

Thanks,
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 11:21 AM   #7
Winnie-Wise

It's been some years ago, but I got the best deal at the time, from the Baltimore Wingfoot Truck tire center. They ordered the G670RV tires for me, installed and balanced while I waited. Check'em out.
Indian River, De
CaptBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 12:11 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

I have a Journey as well. Not sure what your tire sizes are but mine are Michelin 235/80 r 22.5 and I am buying two new front tires this weekend at Coscos here in NC. They are $330 otd each. I am having a local truck tire shop install them and put the tire leveling powder inside for $42 each tire. That's $372 per tire installed and balanced. Total $744 otd for 2 tires.

I called 2 local RV dealerships and got prices on the SAME EXACT tire deal. They were both a little over $1,000 for the same tire, install and leveling powder. When will dealerships realized, we have choices?

Hope this helps. I would think Coscos are located nationwide. Side note, Cosco will not install the tires. Here in NC, they can only install 20 and below. Anything above r 21 is consider big truck and they told me it requires special licensing.
leedowney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 01:54 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Lee, I had not thought of Cosco but we do have them here. I'm replacing all of ours due to age so I suspect getting them to an installer might be a problem, even though I do have a pickup?

Capt Bill, I'll check out the Wingfoot place. Interesting you came to MD for them? Another reply said go to DE just for the sales tax savings? I might be able to get to my unit on the storage lot as the snow is melting so as soon as I can visually confirm the sizes I'll get to Wingfoot and get a price. Have you always used the Goodyear tires?

Old 03-03-2010, 02:42 PM   #10
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugSlayer View Post
Lee, I had not thought of Cosco but we do have them here. I'm replacing all of ours due to age so I suspect getting them to an installer might be a problem, even though I do have a pickup?

Capt Bill, I'll check out the Wingfoot place. Interesting you came to MD for them? Another reply said go to DE just for the sales tax savings? I might be able to get to my unit on the storage lot as the snow is melting so as soon as I can visually confirm the sizes I'll get to Wingfoot and get a price. Have you always used the Goodyear tires?
Russ, I went to Md as it was the closest Wingfoot dealer to me. There are Goodyear dealers here, but not Wingfoot, at that time. The out the door price was significantly lower than any other tire dealer, for those particular tires.

I had Michelin 235 XRV tires, but with so many sidewall zipper-rips that were happening to people, even on brand new tires, I decided to dump them. My tires did not need replacing based on mileage, age or condition. They looked perfect, but so did the ones that blew, killing a forum member in a Country Coach, that only had them installed a month earlier. He was meticulous about maintenance, tire pressures, etc.

There are tons of threads about Michelin zipper-rips, and rusted steel coming out of blown tires. google it, and read.

So I wanted to change brands.The G670RV's have the same loaded radius as the 235 XRV, yet are 1" wider, and have a load range "H" instead of "G". Thet will carry more weight at 80psi that the XRV's at 100, offering a safety margin if you have a slow leak. I run mine at 95, and they ride and handle great. With about 25k miles, they show no signs of uneven wear, so I'm still happy with them.
Indian River, De
Old 03-03-2010, 02:56 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

I recently had a GoodYear tire store take a look at a sidewall cut. They unmounted the tire and placed it on an inspection device. I was told the cut is superficial and does not cause any harm and not to worry.

Well, during all of this, I asked: "How much would it cost to replace the tire? Out the door price." The manager told me......... GoodYear G670 $700.00 each for a 275/70/22.5 tire. After I got up,,, I couldn't believe the cost. So I called around and found out the tire store I was at is close to anyone else (probably all related Hehehe).

Camping World told me that BF Goodrich makes a very good RV replacement tire that is $200.00 less. I'm not sure what the tire is.
Always-RVing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 03:19 PM   #12
Winnebago Camper

Just for comparison, Gerard Tires in Charlotte, NC sells their RV Bridgestone 29580R 22.5 for $445. I would imaging you could find the size you are looking for even less than that.
Old 03-03-2010, 06:09 PM   #13
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batman_777 View Post
I recently had a GoodYear tire store take a look at a sidewall cut. They unmounted the tire and placed it on an inspection device. I was told the cut is superficial and does not cause any harm and not to worry.

Well, during all of this, I asked: "How much would it cost to replace the tire? Out the door price." The manager told me......... GoodYear G670 $700.00 each for a 275/70/22.5 tire. After I got up,,, I couldn't believe the cost. So I called around and found out the tire store I was at is close to anyone else (probably all related Hehehe).

Camping World told me that BF Goodrich makes a very good RV replacement tire that is $200.00 less. I'm not sure what the tire is.
I am using BF Goodrich,,,ST244 tires on my unit....these are made by Michilin and cost less...been a good tire so far

Malibu Toad
Okie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 06:46 PM   #14
Winnebago Owner

CaptBill,

I have been looking into the Wingfoot soliution and found that there is one dealer in Westminster, which is really a retread plant, and one in Baltimore on Wicomico Street. Did you use the one in Baltimore and, if so, any trouble getting in there? I realize that is a pretty populated area and am concerned about the 'in and out' of the process?

Thanks,

Old 03-10-2010, 08:41 PM   #15
Winnie-Wise

Russ, I used the one in Baltimore. Access was no problem in my 36' Horizon. If I remember right, the place is more in an industrial section, not downtown. Check google or yahoo maps. They service tractor-trailers there all the time, so they have to be able to get in and out.
Indian River, De
Old 03-11-2010, 05:22 AM   #16
Winnebago Owner

CaptBill, Thanks, your memory is accurate. I took a drive, in my pickup, to check out the access yesterday. Looks like the best access is exit 52 (Russell St) off 95 but that was closed. I used exit 51 (Washington Blvd) and went down and made a right on Monroe. Since the city bus motor-pool is located right there, I would say access is possible! I spoke to a guy at the Wingfoot dealer and he was helpful and mentioned there may currently be a rebate but his price was good and attitude was great! He just said give him a call, he would get the tires and get them mounted. No problems.

I still have the batteries out of my coach and home on the charger but as soon as I get the trays and cables cleaned I will get it back on the road and down to that dealer. Thanks for the help!

Old 03-11-2010, 07:55 PM   #17
Winnie-Wise

Glad to be of any help, Russ. Make sure the guy that changes your tires takes proper care to NOT nick your polished aluminum wheels, and that he uses a floor jack at the proper point under your frame. I had to point out those details to him, as he was used to working on trucks, and taking shortcuts seems to be his style. But the owner of the dealership (don't know if it's the same), was a great guy to work with.
Indian River, De
Old 03-12-2010, 05:51 AM   #18
Winnebago Owner

CaptBill,

Not sure I know the proper points for a jack but that would seem to be obvious if I stand there so I will try to do that. As for nicking the wheels, I will speak to the sales guy to be sure I get someone who has done RV changes before and will mention it to the installer. You raise a good point so I suspect a 'walk-around' inspection may be in order upon arrival?

Thanks,

Old 03-12-2010, 07:44 AM   #19
Winnie-Wise

Yes, a walk-around with the owner/manager, while discussing your concerns, would be in order.

If you use your leveling jacks, they should put H.D. jack-stands under the frame, not only for personal safety, but protection from damage to your rig, just in case. That is the way we did it when mine was done.
Indian River, De
Old 03-13-2010, 01:13 AM   #20
Winnebago Master

make sure that the lugnuts are torqued to the proper value. then retorque them in about 1000 miles.
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L SW Wa, Hi. Good Sam, SKP. AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '14 smart car
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote