Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-21-2019, 04:05 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Rear Wheel Caps

I am tired of dealing with problems checking my tire pressure and inflating my tires caused by the wheel simulators installed on my 2010 Itasca Navion (built on a 2008 Sprinter chassis). I'm seriously considering taking the local Mercedes Benz dealer's advise to remove the simulators and paint the wheels.

After painting the wheels, I want to restore them to the original Sprinter configuration or something close. My local Dodge dealer located the original front wheel caps (part #6NT90DX9AA). My question is: What cap was put on the rear wheel?

It doesn't need to actually be the original, just something that will fit. Any ideas?
Robert T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 10:04 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

The original front hub cap is plastic and with the Mercedes logo is readily available, on Ebay or elsewhere.

Sprinter front hub cap

Your wheels have a split, conical washer, under the lug nut. When you install these, you remove three lugnuts but leave the conical washers in place. You then place the hub cap on the studs, with the hubcap's three embedded flat washers on the three studs of the lugs you removed, on top of the split conical washers, then you reinstall the lug nuts and torque (gingerly) to 133 lb/ft (which is a lot for such a small stud).

This still leaves the lugs themselves showing, they are a 19mm hex and you can buy silver or chrome lug nut caps on Ebay also.

Chrome lug nut covers

The tool is handy to remove them since they are recessed in the hub cap.

I installed the hub caps on the front of my '07 View, but never did install the lug nut covers.

The black mercedes hubcaps used to be cheap on Ebay, because the motorhome companies, when they installed the simulators, removed the OEM hubcaps and the employees took them home and sold them on Ebay. Now, the motorhome companies have found that the simulators will go on right over the plastic hub caps, so they do not bother to remove them. Go find a new sprinter chassis motorhome with simulators and remove a front one, you will find the OEM black plastic hubcap underneath.

As for the rear, there is nothing sold for those as Mercedes never fitted the rears with any kind of hubcap. One person on the View/Navion forum on Yahoo took a pair of front covers and cut a hole in the middle so they would slip over the axle hub. Paint the hub black and it barely shows, the rest of the cap covers the lugs and it looks somewhat like the front.

Many people install the Borg stems. I had no luck with them, as they didn't fit properly and made the rear wheels extremely difficult to install without damaging them, as the outer wheel has to be slipped over the stem of the inner wheel, without bending or breaking it.

For service You will want a long stem tool such as this Milton S693-12

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It has locking grooves inside the ends of it to help it "grab" the threads of the stem so it doesn't come off easily. I did not like this so I changed out the end nuts for smooth ones.

https://www.miltonindustries.com/dua...chuck-nut.html

For a gauge, you need a similar, straight/angle foot design, many of which are available on Amazon.

Charles
Old 09-05-2019, 02:04 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for responding CharlesinGa. I have acquired the front hub center caps. I couldn't find any rear center caps from either Dodge or Mercedes, or even after market. The idea of modifying the front hub center caps to fit the back is interesting.

I bought a 120 volt portable Craftsman pump from K-mart (Item # 083W002401065000 Model # 75121). It has plenty of power, and since I have a generator on the RV, I'll always have 120 volts. The air hose screws onto the valve which makes things a whole lot easier.
Old 09-07-2019, 02:02 PM   #4
Winnebago Watcher

Robert on my ERA I painted my wheels and bought the front and rear hubs for the ALCOA sprinter wheels and they fit great.... just make sure to buy the ones for the sprinter ... they are twice the cost of every other non MB wheels
myates1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 03:32 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

myates: Thanks for replying. I had thought about trying to jury rig the hubs from my existing wheel simulators, but I like your idea better.
Old 09-08-2019, 10:33 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

Why not just put any one of the widely available fill kits on? Its likely that a previous owner probably did not have them replaced when the last set of new tires were put on. The fill kits are not that expensive and just about every RV Center carries them.
Old 09-09-2019, 04:20 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

NeilV. Thanks for responding. If by fill kit you mean valve extenders, they are installed on the wheels. The problem is that the inside extender ends just inside the hand hole on the steel wheel. The outside extender ends just barely outside of the hand hole on the steel wheel. When the wheel simulators are installed, there is a substantial gap between the simulator and the steel wheel. This makes it very difficult to get the valve caps off, check the air pressure and fill if needed.
Old 09-22-2019, 08:39 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

I forgot to mention one important piece of the puzzle. That is the caps. Throw away the regular caps and install Alligator caps. Nothing to unscrew but they don't allow dirt into the stems.

https://www.amazon.com/Alligator-V2B.../dp/B014VCY3S2

The grooves around the caps are not threads, just grooves to aid in the service tool locking onto the cap. These work very well and make servicing a breeze.

Charles