Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Running Gear, Axles, Brakes, Wheels and Tires
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-13-2005, 07:02 AM   #1
Winnebago Master

Previous owner left me lot's of stuff in my rig but there is nothing (really large socket??) to remove the big hex cap holding the stainless steel rear axle covers. I talked to the local Winne dealer and they insisted you can pry it off but I know better, since I saw the tire guys unscrew the cap when I got my new tires.

Did any of you who got your coaches new get this tool? I don't plan to ever mess with the tires but wanted to have this in case I need road service (the guys at the tire store used a big pipe wrench to remove the caps).

I called local FL parts, but they don't have anything.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2005, 07:02 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

Previous owner left me lot's of stuff in my rig but there is nothing (really large socket??) to remove the big hex cap holding the stainless steel rear axle covers. I talked to the local Winne dealer and they insisted you can pry it off but I know better, since I saw the tire guys unscrew the cap when I got my new tires.

Did any of you who got your coaches new get this tool? I don't plan to ever mess with the tires but wanted to have this in case I need road service (the guys at the tire store used a big pipe wrench to remove the caps).

I called local FL parts, but they don't have anything.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Old 07-13-2005, 07:26 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

Hi smlranger,
No tool, it unscrews, try a large strap wrench. Same setup on all the FCC chassis as far as I know. Sounds like someone tightened it down too hard.
Old 07-13-2005, 07:52 AM   #4
Winnie-Wise

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> No tool, it unscrews, try a large strap wrench. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ditto what he said. I've also used some large channel locks with a rag over the cap to prevent scratching. The center cap unscrews and does have some detents on it so it tends to lock in. If you're only having trouble getting one off, remember one is a left hand thread.

Now if only I could remember which one I pretty sure it's the passenger side, but someone may confirm that. I'm not at home to check now.
Old 07-25-2005, 10:27 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

The driver side is left hand thread on my 05 Horizon. I know this because the mechanic found out the hard way.

2005 Itasca Horizon, 40AD, 2005 Chevy Silverado
Woody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2005, 10:48 AM   #6
Winnie-Wise

The above info is all true. You cannot pry the nut off, it is threaded into a retainer bracket. Then the big sheet metal cone slides right off, after the nut is removed. The driver's side is left-hand thread. You can use a channel locks and a rag to loosen them but if they are on tight, they can get scarred. I found that out while trying to remove the driver's side, then I found out it was left hand thread.

However, there is a wrench for that purpose. I just read about it last week in the Freightliner Chassis Owner's Club magazine. It was a small ad by "Don's RV Wrench". Apparently he makes the wrenches himself and sells them. I ordered mine and it ran $12.95, including shipping. I haven't gotten it in yet and he doesn't have a website but if anyone wants to know, I can look up the info when I get home and then post it here. I should have the wrench pretty soon but until I see it I can't comment on how good it works.
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited - Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2005, 12:25 PM   #7
Winnie-Wise

OK, I just got home and UPS had delivered my "RV Wrench". It's a wrench made out off hard nylon impregnated plastic that fits the hub caps. It has a slight taper to the hex portion so it fits nice and snug without marring the chrome finish. It even has directions for left-hand/right-hand so you don't get confused. It works very well and it's a definite plus so it's now in my toolbox.

The contact info in the FCOC ad is:

Don's RV Wrench
9025 Robinhood Circle
Westerville, OH 43082
[email protected]

The wrench costs $12.95 plus shipping and handling but the FCOC ad stated a special FCOC price of $9.95 + $3.00 shipping. Say you saw it in the FCOC newsletter and you'll get the lower price. Ohio residents must add 7.25% sales tax. It's a good tool and reasonably priced. On my planet we'd rate it 3 thumbs up.
Old 07-25-2005, 04:35 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

Mark:

Thanks for the info. How this came up was when I was getting new tires. The tire guys asked me if I had the tool in the coach. When we could not find it, I went to a nearby Winne dealer in Ashland, VA. They were no help. They kept telling me that the caps needed to be pryed off with a screw driver. When I tried to tell them it was a big hex nut, they 'insisted' I was wrong...that no Winnebago motorhome had such a set up.

So, I called the dealer in Illinois (where I got the coach) and they told me to pry them off. Again, I told them it looked like a screw-on cap. They finally said there was no tool they had ever seen for removal. The tire mechanics used a large pipe wrench and I did discover the left side was left hand threads.

I checked with my local FL parts counter..they were no help...they suggested NAPA for a really big socket.

I will order one of those...not that I plan to be removing the wheels but I may need road service some day.
Old 07-25-2005, 05:52 PM   #9
Winnie-Wise

No problem, smlranger. There isn't much info on removing these - at least not in any manual. This tool is a really handy item and I'm glad I read about it recently. I can't believe all the "professionals" think you pry them off.

I like your avatar. Big dogs sure do like big RVs, don't they.
Old 07-26-2005, 04:14 AM   #10
Winnebago Master

Mark:

Bear does love the motorhome. It may be difficult to tell from the photo but he is not very large...42 lbs. He is a mutt...he does have a shepherd's face. We rescued him from the side of the road as a pup...he is the best dog we've ever had.