Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-20-2017, 08:54 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Power Gear Slide and Parking Brake

I have a condition where my power gear slides (the full wall on street side and the kitchen slide on the curbside) will not extend. Instead, I get a light on the slide control for both slides that indicates to "engage parking brake". My problem is that the parking brake is engaged. In the past, whenever I have had conditions with the slides, I would turn off all power and turn it back on. This usually clears the condition. But, not this one. Anyone ever had this happen and, if so, what did you do to clear it? Thanks in advance for any help.
RBK394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 03:20 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

RBK394,
Use the forum search function to search for ''parking brake switch''.
I made 2 posts about it yesterday.
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L SW Wa, Hi. Good Sam, SKP. AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '14 smart car
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 05:46 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Thanks, Dan L. My searches were focused mainly on power gear. When I searched as you suggested, I got a lot new material to look at. Will let you know how I make out.
Old 03-21-2017, 07:21 AM   #4
Winnie-Wise

Check that the 'slide master key' is turned to the 'on' position ...
Old 03-21-2017, 08:33 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

There is a small wire that attaches to the back of your parking brake switch with a blade connector. I would bet that it has come off, it has happened to me as well. Reach in under the dash to find it and and reattach, hopefully that is your problem.
Good luck!
Brent
Old 03-24-2017, 02:49 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

RvWarner, I finally got a chance today to check the wire on the park brake switch. In this case, the wire is a 2 conductor (red and black) wire that is a plug fit. I removed it and satisfied that it is a tight fit, I plugged it back together. That didn't work. I then checked for voltage on the wire and there is negligible voltage (less than 1 volt). I don't really know the purpose of this wire, but I assume that it should provide 12v. if so, then I assume that it is fused somewhere, and if so, I don't know where. On all of the fuse blocks, none of them are diagrammed as to what circuits the fuses and relays are for. I looked in the Freightliner operator's manual where they provide what they call typical fuse block installation. Bottom line, I predict that Winnebago will get a call on Monday for guidance. Thanks to everyone who replied.
Old 04-29-2017, 05:19 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Follow up. After discussions with both Winnebago and Freightliner, the wire that goes from the dashboard to the slide controller is a signal wire and is not fused. Took rig to repair shop who told me there was a break somewhere in this wire (maybe squirrels, maybe rubbing on something, maybe gremlins). The cheapest fix was to run a new wire as opposed to time it would take to find the break. Slides now working fine.

Tags
brake, power, power gear, slide