Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Running Gear, Axles, Brakes, Wheels and Tires
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-05-2011, 10:49 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Perplexing problem with air loss in new tires

So we are back with another perplexing problem, our tires keep going down to either flat or low pressure ~40#

History: We purchased 6 new Goodyear G670 tires one year ago from Camping World. Since then we have had 10 separate issues of loss of air and have worked with Camping World at a variety of locations and other tire dealers trying to get to the source or reason for the air loss. No one can find the root of the problem.

The loss of air is with all of the tires is at different times. We thought it might just be to loosening of valves but today 3 of the tires were down to 40# and we havent moved from last week when the tires were low and we had someone here to check and fill them. Tires have been pulled and put in a tank to check for leaks--none found.

Any ideas or thoughts?

Would replacing all 6 tires lead to same issues?

Thanks for tips in advance.... you have been a wealth of information so far and I have no idea where to turn
LeftyRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 11:12 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Just my thoughts, if it were my coach. First I would break down each tire and clean the inside of the rims with a wire brush on a drill. While broken down I would install metal valve stems in each rim. Make sure they soap the tires well and inflate them to max or above to seat the bead. Balance and re install on coach. If that does not fix it then you either have leaks in the rims or defective tires. Bead leaks due to rust is actually a fairly common problem.
bdpreece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 06:40 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Tire Bead Rim Flange Air Leaks Explained

Had an issue with rust as well, Sort followed the same advice just used some chemicals(naval jelly) as an extra precaution.

Let us know what you find.
Old 05-05-2011, 07:56 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise

If CW used "equal" balancing powder instead of adding lead wheel weights, it is possible that the powder is plugging up the valve stems and preventing the valve stem core from sealing properly. Equal requires use of special stems with a fine mess screen to keep the powder away from the core. Maybe that is your problem....but if you don't have balancing powder in the tires, then please disregard this entire post. Ed
Old 05-05-2011, 09:05 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Do you have valve extensions? if so take them off and see if they still leak.
Old 05-05-2011, 10:27 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

I have had a problem like this but it never happens at home as the rig is in a locked building. So I feel it is kids or other asssses letting air out of the tires. It will also happen to the toad but again not at home only when i'm on the road and stop for a night or two.
Old 05-06-2011, 07:19 PM   #7
Winnie-Wise

Take off any valve extenders first. Check all valve stems with a soap and water mixture.. Check tire bead to wheel seal for leaks with soap and water mixture.

Ken
Old 05-07-2011, 07:09 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

I second Edgray. Happened to me, from Camping World. They used Equal to balance, without proper core. I finally had to have my tire broken down to find this out. Had the equal removed and spin balanced.

If there is a truck tire place nearby that uses Equal, have them check your valves.

The issue is intermittent because checking your pressure will sometimes allow the equal out, keeping the valvle from seling completely (I think depending on the clock location of the valve at the time . Adding air then clears the blockage.)

If you can't see any lead weights, chances are the used some kind of balancing powder.
Old 05-07-2011, 07:31 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

We had the same thing happen last summer when we bought 2 new tires. The dealer balanced them with Equal, installed new valve stems, and used the filtered cores.
The problem was between the valve stems and the cores. The stems had a slight bend in them (from the factory) to allow them to align with the hole in the hub cap. The cores were longer than the remaining straight section of the stem. When they were installed the cores would flex enough to follow the curviture of the stem. By following the stem the filter section would not seal against the inner wall of the stem. Just a few grains of the Equal powder would slip by and get caught in the valve part of the core and cause it to leak.

It took a couple months to figure out what was going wrong. The tire dealer replaced the stems with ones with a slightly longer straight section for the core and the problem was solved. The new stems have been in place 10 months and we haven't had another problem.
Old 05-08-2011, 11:34 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

I have had nothing but problems with valve extenders---let us know what you find.
bellsharbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 11:01 AM   #11
Winnebago Camper

How we resolved our tire problems

Just wanted to report back and thank everyone for the feedback we received. I never wanted to know that much about tires but sure learned alot.

When tires were replaced new tire stems were not used. Equal was also used for balancing, and we were not consulted.

We had tried various remedies, took off extensions, put all tires in tank to check for leakes, replaced cores but tires went either flat or low, or stuck when trying to check air pressure. Odd that no one ever suggested replacing tire stems as they did look old and rusty.

After 10 separate issues involving one to four tires we decided (as suggested) to have all tires remounted, and spin balanced and new tire stems placed on tires. During process two of back tires were found to have bubbles due to load issues. Appears that equal was not used properly and they did not used cores that come with equal either. As well as they did not replace tire stems. We also spin balanced the tires this time as equal will void warranty if damage to tires is related to balancing material

So now we wait to fight with Goodyear and CW

This was done in Akron, so you would think this CW would know better

Thanks again for all your valuable advice.
LeftyRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 05:47 AM   #12
Winnebago Camper

I had an issue with the sand (Balancing sand ) getting
between the tire bead and the wheel causing a slow leak. 95 lbs one day
50 lbs the next.
I hope this helps
bullheadbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 05:55 PM   #13
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftyRN View Post
Just wanted to report back and thank everyone for the feedback we received. I never wanted to know that much about tires but sure learned alot.

When tires were replaced new tire stems were not used. Equal was also used for balancing, and we were not consulted.

We had tried various remedies, took off extensions, put all tires in tank to check for leakes, replaced cores but tires went either flat or low, or stuck when trying to check air pressure. Odd that no one ever suggested replacing tire stems as they did look old and rusty.

After 10 separate issues involving one to four tires we decided (as suggested) to have all tires remounted, and spin balanced and new tire stems placed on tires. During process two of back tires were found to have bubbles due to load issues. Appears that equal was not used properly and they did not used cores that come with equal either. As well as they did not replace tire stems. We also spin balanced the tires this time as equal will void warranty if damage to tires is related to balancing material

So now we wait to fight with Goodyear and CW

This was done in Akron, so you would think this CW would know better

Thanks again for all your valuable advice.

Wow, Why is this a Goodyear issue? Your tires were installed and balanced wrong by CW. I had GY G670's installed by Flying J and they told me about the balancing beads or equal and explained how the stems need to be replaced. Been 5 years and and no problems with GY's. Go after CW.

Richard
Old 05-19-2011, 06:10 PM   #14
Winnebago Watcher

Valve stems should be replaced regardless if Equal is used or not used. We use Equal in both of our commercial truck repair shops on a daily basis with no issues. Equal is a quality product and will out surpass any spin balance. When using Equal, filtered valve stems need to be used and filtered air should be used when filling the tires. That's it...
ejm4 is offline   Reply With Quote