Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-13-2019, 02:58 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Noise suppression experiences?

Wondering if anyone has any experience with installing noise suppression in & around the doghouse and/or cockpit? We have a brand new Intent 29L and the noise in the cockpit at highway speeds is so bad we have to shout to hear each other and crank the radio volume way up. I'm thinking of installing some noise suppression materials such as Dynamat or Hashmat and looking for suggestions. Also, any idea on whether that would affect any warranties?

Thanks in advance.
Fritos55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 03:24 PM   #2
Site Team

We installed this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It took away some of the sound and heat from the doghouse. We installed it on the underside of the doghouse. I think it was 8 or 9 of the sheets to cover the whole thing. There are some other materials that may offer sound deadening too but this is working for us. The others are a bit thicker where this is about 1/8 inch thick.
Old 08-14-2019, 09:12 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Thanks. That’s one of the materials we are looking at so good to hear it’s working. Was that enough? I’ve noticed that the noise is much worse over rougher roads than smooth roads so wondering if I’ll need to reduce the tire noise as well? Maybe by lining the wheel wells?
Old 08-14-2019, 09:48 AM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fritos55 View Post
Thanks. That’s one of the materials we are looking at so good to hear it’s working. Was that enough? I’ve noticed that the noise is much worse over rougher roads than smooth roads so wondering if I’ll need to reduce the tire noise as well? Maybe by lining the wheel wells?

I've read where others will line more of the underside of the area, yes.

For us the sound is relative as we've been driving convertibles for about 15 years so I may not be the best person to ask. It's well enough for us to be able to talk without yelling.
Old 08-14-2019, 10:38 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomB View Post
I've read where others will line more of the underside of the area, yes.

For us the sound is relative as we've been driving convertibles for about 15 years so I may not be the best person to ask. It's well enough for us to be able to talk without yelling.
Haha. Well our hearing isn’t what it used to be so we’ll probably still be shouting. Haha

Guess we’ll start with lining the doghouse & see how it goes. Thanks!
Old 08-18-2019, 07:52 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Noise cancelling headphones with conversation ability are the best noise reduction mechanism for noisy environment. They will cut out junk but let certain frequencies through like voice etc. There is a gizmo that will listen to ambulance etc sense em coming and start flashing to let you know as well. Tires make a heck of a lot of noise as well. All the best
Old 08-19-2019, 12:57 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

We have a new Sunstar (also a high value coach) It is not what I would call quiet, but much better noise levels than our older Brave. The dog house on ours is already lined with foil backed glass insulation. I took it off to see about lining it with killmat80. I figured better to leave the dog house alone and just line under the floor.

I suppose it’s possible Winnebago saved some cost by not lining the dog house your model? Easy to remove and have a look. The killmat is not expensive. I bought a couple of boxes on Amazon for about $140.

Our Generator is noisy and I figured I could line the compartment to help dampen vibration etc.
On my list as soon as the weather cools down a bit.
Nickd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 04:52 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

This made a big difference:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Also, make sure doghouse seals are seating properly. This is more of an issue with older coaches but worth checking.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 01:49 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for all the suggestions. As soon as I get my unit back from the dealer (she's in for some other repairs) I'll pull the doghouse and check it out.
Old 08-21-2019, 02:06 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel-Lover View Post
Noise cancelling headphones with conversation ability are the best noise reduction mechanism for noisy environment. They will cut out junk but let certain frequencies through like voice etc. There is a gizmo that will listen to ambulance etc sense em coming and start flashing to let you know as well. Tires make a heck of a lot of noise as well. All the best
State laws vary, especially when covering, or in, both ears:

https://drivinglaws.aaa.com/tag/headsets/
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
noise