Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-02-2011, 11:16 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Send a message via Skype™ to J&SW
New XZE Tires - "drifting" "sloppy" feel

Just got some new Michelin XZEs (245/70R19.5 - H rating) for our 04 32' Sunrise. We had Michelin XRVs before. The new XZEs seem to "drift" more, and the steering seems a bit sloppier than I remember. I am running them with a bit higher pressure (100) versus 90-95 for the old XRVs. The XZEs can go up to 120. Any suggestions to tighten it up some? New shocks? Steering damper?
Old 03-02-2011, 11:31 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Too much air. Weigh the rig and then go back to the 90 lbs it will probably want, Maybe less. I had the same problem a couple years ago. Do like the XZE's.

Mike
Old 03-03-2011, 01:41 AM   #3

Any reason why you added more air?
Midniteoyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 04:14 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by J&SW View Post
Just got some new Michelin XZEs (245/70R19.5 - H rating) for our 04 32' Sunrise. We had Michelin XRVs before. The new XZEs seem to "drift" more, and the steering seems a bit sloppier than I remember. I am running them with a bit higher pressure (100) versus 90-95 for the old XRVs. The XZEs can go up to 120. Any suggestions to tighten it up some? New shocks? Steering damper?
Sounds like to much air. We have a 22,000 Ford chassis and 235/80 22.5 tires. We took the coach to a CAT scale and at 20,680 lbs Michelins chart calls for 80 lbs. Why would you replace the XRV's with XRE's.
Old 03-03-2011, 05:55 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

I think you should check the rating on your rims before you bring your tire pressures up to 120psi.
as mikron said weight your rig to determine where you should go from there.
tims52ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 08:31 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

I agree, too much air. I bet if you weigh the coach, you should be running around 80 lbs. Keep us posted.
bellsharbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 08:54 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

XZE's do have 1/16" more thread depth, so maybe that is why they feel a little different. But air pressure is the key. If you had XRV.s your rims are rated to at "least 110lbs.

Mike
Old 03-03-2011, 10:52 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Thanks all for the replies.

I replaced the XRVs because they were over 7 years old and had started to show some cracking. The tire shop finally (see below) suggested the XZEs, and I did some research here and many were suggesting the same.

I weighed the rig fully loaded at just over 19k. It is a W20 chassis. I'll try the lower pressures and see what happens.

BTW, I actually tried Sumitomo ST718s first, and could NOT get rid of an balance problem that caused far too much shaking in the steering wheel. The shop tried several times to get them balanced but to no avail.
Old 03-03-2011, 11:00 AM   #9

Quote:
I weighed the rig fully loaded at just over 19k.
Whats the front to rear weights?

Quote:
BTW, I actually tried Sumitomo ST718s first, and could NOT get rid of an balance problem that caused far too much shaking in the steering wheel. The shop tried several times to get them balanced but to no avail.
Did the shop refund the money for them?
Old 03-03-2011, 12:40 PM   #10
Winnie-Wise

I went from XRVs to XZEs and experienced the same thing. You are comparing a new tire to a worn tire that started with less tread. I think that the problem is mostly tread squirm. As my XZEs wear, things imrove.

I have tried various tire pressures with no difference. I am now using the recommended tire pressure for my weight.
Old 03-03-2011, 06:58 PM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midniteoyl View Post
Whats the front to rear weights?

Did the shop refund the money for them?
Have the front/back load info, but not accessible right now. The tire shop did take the Sumitomos back and credited the price toward the Michelins, which were about $100 per tire more.
Old 03-03-2011, 08:46 PM   #12

Quote:
The tire shop did take the Sumitomos back and credited the price toward the Michelins, which were about $100 per tire more.
Cool Good shop
Old 03-09-2011, 08:12 PM   #13
Winnebago Camper

I replaced XRVs with XZEs due to age. I think the extra tread depth can cause a bit more squirm, but the best thing I did to tighten steering was adjusting the steering box lash. I am running 95# of air, and it drives great.

2002 Itasca Horizon 32TD
Roadking52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 08:29 PM   #14
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by J&SW View Post
Just got some new Michelin XZEs (245/70R19.5 - H rating) for our 04 32' Sunrise. We had Michelin XRVs before. The new XZEs seem to "drift" more, and the steering seems a bit sloppier than I remember. I am running them with a bit higher pressure (100) versus 90-95 for the old XRVs.
I'm curious what the label regarding the OEM tire pressure recommendations are for your motorhome. My Itasca is 95 lbs. for the front / 90 lbs. for the dual rear. I put on Michelin LT245/70 R19.5 XZE's, which I think are 14-ply / load range G, so I increased the air pressures to 100 lbs. for the front / 95 lbs. for the rear, but not sure why, as I'm under for both the front and rear axles, though I only recently had the motorhome weighed, so maybe I thought I was at or near capacity.

I too feel that the steering feels sloppier and am making more steering corrections. I checked out the Michelin load and air pressure chart for RV usage, so it looks like I can go back to the original pressures and see if that helps. I don't think I'm gaining any benefit to running the slightly higher pressures anyway, so I'll give it a try.

I do have one question: the OEM front tire pressure for the front is 95 lbs, but looking at the Michelin ZVE tire chart, the maximum front axle weight for my specific motorhome comes in at 85 lbs. Can I actually run 85 or 90 lbs, or am I never supposed to go below the manufactures' recommendation, even though this is a different tire model and load rating?

http://www.michelintruck.com/micheli....do?tread=XZE*

Click on 'download brochures' towards the bottom of the page.

-RT
RTegarini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 08:43 PM   #15
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTegarini View Post
Can I actually run 85 or 90 lbs, or am I never supposed to go below the manufactures' recommendation, even though this is a different tire model and load rating? -RT
If it were mine I'd be more inclined to run the tire manufacturers recommendation but I don't like running lower pressures either. I'd have to get me a laser type temperature gauge to keep track of the readings for a while before I got to comfortable with it.

I'd be guessing the coach recommendation was figured using Michelin's specs for the tire supplied with the coach.
See My RV Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 09:07 PM   #16
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRR View Post
I'd be guessing the coach recommendation was figured using Michelin's specs for the tire supplied with the coach.
That's my thought too, and I think it was the Michelin XRV, load range F. The chart for this tire shows that the manufacturers' recommended front air pressure of 95 lbs. would get you 4,080 lbs. on a single-tire set-up, so looks like nothing less than the factory recommendations for me. -RT
RTegarini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 10:37 AM   #17
Winnebago Master

The factory recommendations should correspond to the correct pressure for the original factory-supplied tires to support the full GVWR of the vehicle. If you weigh less or put on different tires you should use the tire manufacturer's tables to determine the required pressure.

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
drifting, michelin, sloppy, xrv, xze