Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Running Gear, Axles, Brakes, Wheels and Tires
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-22-2018, 08:40 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

New Rig Needs Tires

2001 34' Adventurer presently has Firestone 245 / 70 R 19.5

There about 7 years old plenty of tread but some rot near the rim.

I've put about 200 miles on them but my next trip will be 1200 miles.

What are some does & don't s in RV tire buying?

I've been quoted about 1,300 for a set of Atlas brand at the entry level on up to $2200 for others out the door......

14 or 16 Ply?

My last RV had a new set when I got her & never had to worry about ~

Thanks in advance!
Low_Bridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 08:50 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

This is a sentence from: Tire Rack
he XRV radial is Michelin's all-position, Highway Rib Summer radial designed specifically for recreational vehicles and motor homes.
I have used them before. Not the cheapest, but the best. $430 each.
Old 05-22-2018, 09:09 PM   #3
Winnie-Wise

Another good option. I used these at work for the super sidewalls.

https://simpletire.com/michelin-245-...SABEgKPsPD_BwE

$388 each
Old 05-23-2018, 05:07 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Mounting

Who would you look for to mount carry in at this size?

I don't guess it's the same game as carry in auto?

Heck I've manually mounted up to 16" but I'm not not play'n that game anymore ..... especially with these big boys...... ????

Thanks ~
Old 05-23-2018, 08:49 AM   #5
Winnie-Wise

Go to a commercial tire dealer (they deal in truck and heavy duty tires). Michelin, Toyo, Bridgestone, Hankook and others are all possibilities. Go with the heaviest load rating possible (G or H) if available. Weigh your rig and inflate tires to match the weight they will be carrying per the tire manufacturer's inflation tables.

If you are not an FMCA member it might be time to join. You can get substantial discounts on Michelin and Continental tires.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 08:50 AM   #6
Winnie-Wise

Try any one in your area that does commercial truck tires. I could not find a car tire dealer in my area that would real with them. The torque on the lug nuts is higher than their tools handle.
Old 05-23-2018, 11:08 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Thanks~ That's who I got the first quotes from A Truck / RV service center.
Old 05-30-2018, 07:03 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

New tires

We replaced our Goodyear’s with Hankook rode nicer. Was told by my brother in law who drove tractor trailer the hankooks were used at his business with no issues.
boba1106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 06:34 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

I'm very happy with the Michelin XRV tires I put on my Sightseer 35J a couple of years ago. Maybe the Goodyears I replaced had just gotten really hard, but the ride improved enough that the copilot noticed.

If you have either Coach-Net or an FMCA membership, they both have a tire purchase discount program. The savings more than covered the cost of re-upping my FMCA membership, so it might be worth joining either program before you buy tires.
Old 05-31-2018, 04:11 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

I went with some of the Michelin XZE’s last year to replace the OEM Goodyear’s that we’re on the coach when I bought it and had aged out. Very good ride, I’ve been happy with the purchase. If my memory is right, they are effectively the XRV tire but without the chemical “sun blocking” treatment.
Old 05-31-2018, 07:45 PM   #11
Winnebago Master

I just purchased 6 Uniroyal 245R70/19.5/G RS20 tires for my 2002 Suncruiser 35U yesterday. They were $249/ea for a total of $1992 installed and balanced including a $75 used tire for a spare.

This was at a commercial tire shop that came well recommended by my mechanic (a commercial truck mechanic who is also owns a Diesel pusher). Although they could have sold me Michelins, they suggested the Uniroyals (owned by Michelin) as a lower priced, quality alternative to Michelin.

Obviously I can't give you a personal review but I trust my mechanic and the tire shop he recommended has impeccable reviews online.

For those in the Sacramento area who might be looking for some good shops, the mechanic's shop is Mike & Sons Truck Repair in Sacramento and the tire shop is Reliable Tire in West Sacramento.

I also invested in a tire pressure monitoring system (TMPS) to give me additional protection.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 01:24 PM   #12

A truck/RV service center is who I'd choose as Tucson said.
LarryW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 02:38 PM   #13
Site Team

I keep hearing great reviews of Toyo’s RV tires. Do a search for them.
Old 06-01-2018, 06:01 PM   #14
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post
I keep hearing great reviews of Toyo’s RV tires. Do a search for them.
That's what we have on ours, Toyo Truck Tires.
And my nephew who has a trucking company recommends.
Lee
Old 06-30-2018, 09:03 AM   #15
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low_Bridge View Post
2001 34' Adventurer presently has Firestone 245 / 70 R 19.5

There about 7 years old plenty of tread but some rot near the rim.

I've put about 200 miles on them but my next trip will be 1200 miles.

What are some does & don't s in RV tire buying?

I've been quoted about 1,300 for a set of Atlas brand at the entry level on up to $2200 for others out the door......

14 or 16 Ply?

My last RV had a new set when I got her & never had to worry about ~

Thanks in advance!

Have you considered Toyo tires? Many of us are going to them.
Old 06-30-2018, 09:46 AM   #16
Winnebago Master

As with many posts on this forum, it's a matter of personal opinion. There are a number of quality brands of tires at various prices and someone is going to post that they have Toyos and love them, would never put anything but Michelins on their MH or knows someone who uses nothing but "Whatever Brand" at their trucking company. There never is going to be a consensus so make your choice at a price point you can afford and move on.

I would only be concerned about a particular brand if there was a preponderance of negative comments and reviews on this and other sites.
Old 06-30-2018, 10:34 AM   #17
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobC View Post
As with many posts on this forum, it's a matter of personal opinion. There are a number of quality brands of tires at various prices and someone is going to post that they have Toyos and love them, would never put anything but Michelins on their MH or knows someone who uses nothing but "Whatever Brand" at their trucking company. There never is going to be a consensus so make your choice at a price point you can afford and move on.

I would only be concerned about a particular brand if there was a preponderance of negative comments and reviews on this and other sites.
Excellent point, Bob. There are as many opinions as there are tires, . We are about to begin shopping for tires as ours are 6 years old and are beginning the "sidewall checking"... thanks for nothing, Michelin!! So we will be buying Toyos due to positive comments here and on other forums. (I anticipate the money saved on the Toyos versus Michelins will almost pay for the replacement captains chairs we have to buy due to the fake "ultra leather" failing. But that's another thread...)
SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 08:53 AM   #18
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobC View Post

Good post, Bob. Puts it all in prospective.
Old 07-01-2018, 09:31 AM   #19
Winnie-Wise

Bob has it right. It is like Chevy, Ford, or Toyota. The one thing all brands have in common is how we use and abuse them. Living it Tucson I see an accelerated heat and sun deterioration on tires. The same weather checking cracks will happen on any tire. We can have some control with air pressures and protecting the tires from the sun if not driving. Think of it as each day covered could be one more day of life. Very very ever wear out an RV tire. They "age out" or crack no matter the brand. Buy local and support your own community.
Old 07-01-2018, 09:41 AM   #20
Winnebago Master

I would also suggest you find a well respected, local tire shop that supplies the trucking industry (ask if they do many RVs) and bypass RV dealers.

I get my motorhome serviced at a truck repair shop (after all, my Workhorse chassis is a truck). "My guy" there, who is also an RVer, recommended a tire shop that didn't try to up-sell me. The tire shop also had a good rationale for what they sold me (about half the price of Michelins).

I realized while I was waiting for my tires to be installed, the tire shop supplies and installs tires for at least one of the local RV dealers. I like the idea of cutting out the middle man. I was in and out in about two hours.

Another thing, don't plan on keeping your best tire as a spare, it's going to be too old. Instead ask the tire shop for a good, used tire. Mine sold me a 2016 tire with about 50% usable tread for $75.

Tags
tires