Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-10-2019, 06:24 AM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

New Owner Tire Pressure Question

Just took our new 2019 Navion 24V on its first trip. When I got home from the dealership and started tinkering I checked air pressure and all tires were set at 62. The rating on the tires themselves said 80. I increased pressure to 72 for our first trip. When filling up at the gas station I noticed a sticker in the drivers door that said 60psi cold. Am I good?
Bwdonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 07:01 AM   #2
Site Team

You should go by weight (4-corner) to figure where you should keep the pressures in each tire. The markings on the tire are the max pressure and as you drive they will heat up. That 60psi might have been where you want to be when cold, but no one else can really tell you with certainty where you should run.
Old 08-10-2019, 07:21 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

Tire pressure is giving me a whole new outlook as I now have a tire pressure monitor to watch as I drive. I now see no way to ever keep tire pressure "correct" as it changes constantly. When I picked the RV up from the dealer, it was really rough and when checked, I found a cold pressure of 120 PSI while the specs show 82 to be recommended.
But I now find that recommend level is not much help as airing to 82 PSI cold will run me near 100-110 when driving, even in moderate temps like 80 degrees.
I have now backed off to about 70 PSI cold and find that the pressure goes to 85-90 while driving on a moderate temperature day. One of the first shocks to having a fulltime read on tire pressure was that the tires were setting off the high pressure alarms when I set them for the recommended levels! So I now run the first ten miles or so on slightly cool, underpressured tires so that I can drive the rest of the trip on slightly overpressured tires.
Something of an "information overload" as I never knew this was going on before and never had motive to worry the issue?
I now find that the unit has different tire pressure on each wheel as it sets between a fence and the house and the sun hits different tires in different ways! The inner right dual tend to warm faster and I assume it is due to the exhaust running near it!
Perhaps info to know but not obsess over?
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 08:52 AM   #4
Winnie-Wise

On both winnieowners and IRV2 you'll find thousands of posts on this topic. In my experience, and with the counsel of both WBGO and Freightliner, here's how we do tire pressures.

- Get a 4-corner weight and use the inflation charts for your specific tire to set the pressures to the heaviest loaded tire on a given axle (then plus up 5 to 10lbs)
-- On your coaches all the rear tires will be inflated to the same pressure
-- Your front tires will probably be a different pressure - but both inflated to the same pressure
- Set those pressures after the coach has been parked overnight and the ambient temp is in the low 70s
- Use a TPMS
- In temps below 65 we add 5 - 10 lbs to adjust for cold weather
- Be prepared for a 15 - 20% increase in pressures while on the road (that's OK)
- Your key concerns are low pressures (~ 10 lbs less than cold set pressure) and high temps (default alarms usually set for 158 degrees)
Old 08-10-2019, 09:30 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morich View Post
Tire pressure is giving me a whole new outlook as I now have a tire pressure monitor to watch as I drive. I now see no way to ever keep tire pressure "correct" as it changes constantly. When I picked the RV up from the dealer, it was really rough and when checked, I found a cold pressure of 120 PSI while the specs show 82 to be recommended.
But I now find that recommend level is not much help as airing to 82 PSI cold will run me near 100-110 when driving, even in moderate temps like 80 degrees.
I have now backed off to about 70 PSI cold and find that the pressure goes to 85-90 while driving on a moderate temperature day. One of the first shocks to having a fulltime read on tire pressure was that the tires were setting off the high pressure alarms when I set them for the recommended levels! So I now run the first ten miles or so on slightly cool, underpressured tires so that I can drive the rest of the trip on slightly overpressured tires.
Something of an "information overload" as I never knew this was going on before and never had motive to worry the issue?
I now find that the unit has different tire pressure on each wheel as it sets between a fence and the house and the sun hits different tires in different ways! The inner right dual tend to warm faster and I assume it is due to the exhaust running near it!
You're making it too hard. Tire pressure recommendations are for cold (not driven yet 'today') pressures. 'Cold' in this instance doesn't indicate any certain temperature, just ambient temp.
When the tires are 'cold' fill them to the correct pressure, in your case 82. Yes, the pressure is going to go up as you drive, and the tires are going to be different temps depending on which side the sun is on and various other 'stuff'. Don't worry about those changes, it's normal.
Old 08-10-2019, 11:42 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

You may have missed this part of my post?
Quote:

Point is that we ARE getting info we never had before but I don't plan to do much with that info as long as the alarms stop going off! and that does take some getting used to what each RV will do.
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 05:10 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bwdonald View Post
Just took our new 2019 Navion 24V on its first trip. When I got home from the dealership and started tinkering I checked air pressure and all tires were set at 62. The rating on the tires themselves said 80. I increased pressure to 72 for our first trip. When filling up at the gas station I noticed a sticker in the drivers door that said 60psi cold. Am I good?
VERY IMPORTANT: Fill up your tires when cold (AM before the sun is on them) ONLY to the pressure recommended by the manufacturer (it pasted in the driver side doorway and in the operating manual. My 2018 Navion recommended pressure is 62 PSI. IMHO: Don’t deviate from that!
I have the EezRV tire pressure monitoring system and can see the temps and pressures as we drive- they will of course change (go higher) due to ambient conditions and amount of sun. Resist the temptation to put in more pressure trying to get more MPG. It won’t make much difference there (as if you could really measure the difference) but it will lower the life of the tire.
jcurtisis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 07:20 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

I agree with this and do the same. I have a 2019 Winnebago View 24 V. Ron Boutin
rx4fishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 07:47 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Its amazing how dumded down all information flows out of manufacturers. There should be clear absoliutely clear and scientific limitations on these things.

If you visit the manufacturer (Tire not the buggy that feller just shoved some parts together put his label on it and is no longer responsible for nothing). Tire manufacturers will tell you at what weight what the pressure should be yes cold relatively speakin.

Tags
tire pressure