Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-23-2015, 07:39 AM   #21
Winnebago Camper

Smile

Scott, FIRE UP

Appreciate the feedback. I'll definitely check out the 507. Also intend to get some type of TPMS for our TOWD CR-V for peace of mind, but have seen some where the signal strength may not be adequate without a amp or booster.

Also note that you have a Goldwing; I also ride, have a 2002.

Sid
Sid Shafer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 12:06 PM   #22
Winnebago Owner

Send a message via Skype™ to tnteacherguy
Scott,

Well said. I've had the 510 system since the day I purchased my coach 12/26/2012. I actually ordered it before I took delivery.

I have a tag axle coach and a toad (12 sensors in all). As long as I was investing in 12, I decided to buy 2 extra to take with me on the road. I've replaced one out of my reserve parts :-)

The only issue I've ever had was due to slow leaks. Initially, I think I was afraid of over tightening. No more.

Also, i had ordered the repeater but to this day I have not needed it. It seems to pick up readings from about 75' away.

No complaints.
Old 03-23-2015, 04:21 PM   #23
Winnebago Owner

I see this thread now has a life of it's own, I've been home with my new coach since Saturday night. Other than completely careless and rude southern Ca drivers, the drive home was uneventful.

I left it at what the mechanic doing the safety check put them at which was 100 all around.

I did discover I will be looking at suspension and steering mods. It drove ok for an empty rig with probably over inflated tires, but if I have to driver 500 miles in the future in one round, I would like it to be more stable.
Nomad Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 06:37 PM   #24
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid Shafer View Post
Greets All,

Having trouble with this posting...
Sid and Judy new RVers Suncruising (2013 35P) in Tampa. Noticed that several in this forum have TPMS. Would welcome knowing which type (internal or external) and brand you use and recommend. Also would like to know your experiences and recommendation regarding valve stem extenders for the inside rear tires -- not a lot of fun checking those.

Sid
I have the TST 507 system. I was having problems with it. Sent it back for testing and it came back with a clean bill of health and a better antenna. They gave me the "T" with an extension cable to replace the short "L" that came with it. But, they did tell me that weather stations, the one many of us have, uses the same frequency as the 507. I have one so I pulled the batteries from the outside unit and then calibrated my sensors with no problem. Now, with the new antenna, my monitor is working correctly. I put the batteries back into the outside weather station sensor and the TST system is still working.

I did a lot of research before I bought my system and I think this is the most reliable and economical of them all. A repeater may be needed if you put sensors on the toad.

Rick Y
Old 03-25-2015, 11:42 PM   #25
Winnebago Master

From an identical twin: Set them all at 95 and have a beer.. You're as light as you will ever be and if you run them to max pressure you'll be sweeping up fillings when you get home.

One thing you'll notice is how soft the suspension is when going up a driveway, into a gas station for instance. The coach can whip pretty severely because of the lousy single action Sach "shocks".

I replaced the front only with FSD and problem solved. I may someday change the rear, but so far its not a problem.

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350
SCVJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 11:57 PM   #26
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by lajuene View Post
Being over inflated won't hurt as long as you don't exceed the wheel or tire max which is on the tire and should be on the wheel. TPMS is great, we have one too. the tires are always a tad different from side to side, thats ok. sun shine will raise the sunny tires. Good luck
The pressure on the sidewall of a Michelin RV tire and many others is not the "Maximum" the tire should ever have (unlike car tires) it is [B]the minimum to support the maximum rated carrying capacity of the tire[B].

From the Michelin RV Tire Guide:
Quote:
"If you look at the tire's sidewall, you'll see the maximum load capacity allowed for the size tire and load rating, and the minimum cold air inflation needed to carry the maximum load."
From page 6 of the GoodYear RV Tire and Care Guide:
Quote:
"How much air is enough?
The proper air inflation for your tires depends on how much your fully loaded RV or trailer weighs. Look at the sidewall of your RV tire and you’ll see the maximum load capacity for the tire size and load rating, as well as the minimum cold air inflation, needed to carry that maximum load."
From TOYO:
Quote:
Q: What are the consequences of inflating the tires to accommodate the actual loads?
A: If the inflation pressure corresponds to the actual tire load according to the tire manufacturer’s load and pressure table, the tire will be running at 100% of its rated load at that pressure. This practice may not provide sufficient safety margin. Any air pressure loss below the minimum required to carry the load can result in eventual tire failure.
But then they go ahead and publish a weight/pressure chart allowing lower pressure for RV's!!

From the August 2010 Motorhome Magazine "Tread Carefully" tire article:
Quote:
The maximum load capacity allowed for the size tire and load rating and the minimum cold air inflation needed to carry that maximum load are located on the tire’s sidewall.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 12:31 AM   #27
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCVJeff View Post
From an identical twin: Set them all at 95 and have a beer.. You're as light as you will ever be and if you run them to max pressure you'll be sweeping up fillings when you get home.

One thing you'll notice is how soft the suspension is when going up a driveway, into a gas station for instance. The coach can whip pretty severely because of the lousy single action Sach "shocks".

I replaced the front only with FSD and problem solved. I may someday change the rear, but so far its not a problem.

Were you able to install the Koni shocks yourself? I was not too put off by the suspension, more the side to side sway. I will be looking for suspension and steering upgrades along with a first service.
Old 03-27-2015, 01:10 PM   #28
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad Mike View Post
Were you able to install the Koni shocks yourself? I was not too put off by the suspension, more the side to side sway. I will be looking for suspension and steering upgrades along with a first service.
I had a shop do it since it was there anyway. And at the time I didnt have an impact strong enough to break the bolts.

Jeff - WA6EQU
Old 03-27-2015, 02:41 PM   #29
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Are you certain Koni is the best shock for this suspension? On cars yes. Check with Freightliner and see if you can get some advise on this. Also seek more recommendations on the forum.

As far as a steering aid goes, I find the TrueCenter a real help. If you don't have independent front suspension you can use it. Here is the fit chart: http://blueox.com/wp-content/uploads...r-Fit-List.pdf.

Happy trails,
Rick
Old 03-27-2015, 04:17 PM   #30
Winnebago Master

There are many many happy FSD customers on these forum. But yes, these aren't the conventional auto Koni's

Jeff - WA6EQU
Old 03-27-2015, 04:31 PM   #31
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCVJeff View Post
There are many many happy FSD customers on these forum. But yes, these aren't the conventional auto Koni's
Or. like us: the last two MH's we've had Koni didn't make an FSD for the front axles, only the red adjustable ones. There are FSD's on the rear axle and tag on the Magna we just got.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 09:17 PM   #32
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerichorick View Post
Are you certain Koni is the best shock for this suspension? On cars yes. Check with Freightliner and see if you can get some advise on this. Also seek more recommendations on the forum.

As far as a steering aid goes, I find the TrueCenter a real help. If you don't have independent front suspension you can use it. Here is the fit chart: http://blueox.com/wp-content/uploads...r-Fit-List.pdf.

Happy trails,
Rick
I'll check out that link for TrueCenter. As for shocks, I'm in beginning stages of looking at whats available. Koni-RV
Old 03-28-2015, 02:05 AM   #33
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Or. like us: the last two MH's we've had Koni didn't make an FSD for the front axles, only the red adjustable ones. There are FSD's on the rear axle and tag on the Magna we just got.

But they do in this case

Jeff - WA6EQU
Old 03-28-2015, 08:30 AM   #34
Winnebago Master

Quote:
I'll check out that link for TrueCenter. As for shocks, I'm in beginning stages of looking at whats available. Koni-RV
Sachs is on this coach as standard. I am very pleased with the ride and handling. The TruCenter was to get some relief from the crosswinds pull. What a difference the addition of this devise made. I never realized how much energy I was expending fighting the wheel pull until after my first trip with the TruCenter. I arrive at my destination a bit tired instead of exhausted.

This conversation started with tire pressure. This has been a big concern of mine for years. I have read several articles from tire manufactures and tech writers and I think I finally got it after several email exchanges and phone conversations with Michelin.

Heavy duty service tires can not be thought of in any of the ways we think of about passenger tires. Forget everything you know about that topic and start fresh.

The tires we use on our big RVs are designed with a different purpose. WORK. The ride comfort is provided by the suspension. The rules for our tires are simple because the RV manufacturer engineers and the chassis manufacturer engineers got together and designed the drive train components to work together correctly. (Yes. Some manufactures went to the lower limits to save money causing durability and safety to be a question. I am basing my thoughts upon the Freightliner FCCC/Michelin to RV manufacturer direction.)

1// The original tires on your coach are the minimum design for your prospected max weight.

2// Setting tire pressure is directly related to what potential maximum weight your rig may carry. That is why the sticker.

3// When you are satisfied with your load, and feel confident it will not increase much, weighing the 4 points of the coach and front and rear will determine if you need to re-balance. Too much weight, especially over the tire limit, in one corner is not good. Reposition your load, weigh again and correct again if necessary.

4// Once the above is accomplished you have your working #'s per AXLE. The tire chart can now be used with confidence. Set the tire pressure the same for all tires on each axle.

A note about tire and pressure monitors. I learned this through TST. I have the 507 system. (The frequency of some weather stations will interfere with this system.)

As you drive the tire pressure will rise as much as 10#. Though it may be over the MAX cold pressure, the tire manufactures have built the tires with this in mind. Also, the rolling temperature of the tire will increase significantly. As long as these changes are all about the same for each tire all is well. When one tire starts to show significant changes in temperature or pressure, suspect a problem and take quick action.

On my last coach I did not have a TPMS. I had a blowout. The damage to the coach was extensive. I never lost control and parked safely. The tire did all the damage.

When we do to our RV's what they are built for happy camping is a good prospect.

Many happy and safe trails.

Rick Y

Tags
tire pressure