Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Running Gear, Axles, Brakes, Wheels and Tires
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-02-2013, 02:23 PM   #61
Winnebago Owner

Thank you for the update.
See My RV Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 03:02 PM   #62
Winnie-Wise

John,

Are you getting snowed on up there, today? Just wondering. I have a friend who just retired from the police force in the UP, he flies RC helicopters like I do. He and I have been complaining about the long winter and now this storm. I guess I'm lucky, we likely won't be affected in SE Michigan.

Scott
Old 05-02-2013, 04:03 PM   #63
Winnebago Owner

Actually as I have been looking out the window it has been for about an hour now but nothing that is remotely sticking on the ground for even a miro second.
See My RV Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 04:12 PM   #64
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRR View Post
Actually as I have been looking out the window it has been for about an hour now but nothing that is remotely sticking on the ground for even a miro second.
Then you're lucky! I just saw some of the snowfall on the news just to the west and it's really, really ugly. Looks like Friday is going to bad in the south, too. Winter just doesn't want to let go!

To keep this on topic, I just ordered tire covers, too. Today was too much money not to take all the precautions necessary to preserve this outlay.

Scott
Old 05-11-2013, 02:59 PM   #65
Winnebago Camper

Michelin XZE

I realize I am getting in here late, as the original poster has purchased Michelins, but I wanted to mention some experience with Michelin XZEs.

About 4 and a half years ago I replaced aged out Michelin XRVs with XZEs based on a price and availability decision. The XZEs seem to have more tread depth, which I have learned is not such a great thing since you'll never wear them out before they age out, and they seem to have a bit more "squirm" or wander.

I was recently at a dump station doing my thing and glanced at my rear tires. I was suddenly sick at my stomach when I saw that there were weather cracks around all the molded letters and fine cracks beginning above the bead. While the tires are usually parked in the shade and not touching ground, I don't always cover them. Closely looking I determined that the tires were over a year old when I purchased them, so I really have six year old tires.

Like others in this post, I really hate to spend money that's not necessary, but a new set of XRVs are on the way. I kinda think the XZEs are more truck tires, and have a rubber formulation based on the tire wearing out before age gets it. For those of you who aren't FMCA members ( I am but really couldn't find a convenient National Account Michelin dealer), you might shop Vulcan Tire Sales online. They actually checked the warehouse and told me the build date of the tires I would receive, (less than 2 months) and were very prompt in both answering my questions and shipping my order. Hope everyone keeps em rollin.

Dale

2002 Itasca Horizon 32TD
Roadking52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 04:23 PM   #66
Winnie-Wise

Wow. What a shocker! To see bad tires like that has to be a shocker. I know when I was told my tires were bad it was like a kick in the stomach. Good luck with your new tires and thanks for the information about Vulcan.

Scott
Old 05-11-2013, 07:23 PM   #67
Winnebago Camper

Interesting point about reselling the used tires. How big a market is out here? Does it make economic sense to change tires at say 5 years before cracks appear and put the resale value toward a new set versus just throwing them out a few years later?
TwelveVolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 07:43 PM   #68
Winnebago Camper

Was able to sell 6 Cooper CXMT 19.5" tires that were 6 years old and showed no signs of weather damage and had an average of 10/32" to 12/32" Tread depth for $600 to someone restoring an older motorhome. He was planning on just using it locally to go to football games and concerts and was aware of keeping an eye on the sidewalls. Worked out well for both of us.
Old 08-02-2013, 03:57 PM   #69
Winnebago Watcher

Hi jlfbatonrg,

What are your loads on the steering axle and what tire pressure are you caring on the steering axle tires.

Thanks in advance,
wingrider07 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tires