Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-01-2011, 10:38 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Need New Shocks

I am about ready to put new shocks on my 2005 Freightliner Itasca Horizon, and want opinions on going with the Koni standard or adjustables. I am sure this is covered in other posts but being a little computer handicapped, thought I would ask here.

Don, WIT 70041
Grimesy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 11:02 AM   #2
Winnie-Wise

Don,

I put Koni's on my coach about 6 months ago. Made quite a difference in stability and smoothness. There are no more rattles coming from the silverware or many other rattles, which was noticeable right away.

I have the FSD shocks (yellow/gold color) in the back, which are not manually adjustable but do adjust them self according to the type of road surface they are dealing with. These are Koni's best shocks.

On the front I have the standard Koni's which are manually adjustable (red color). I have them set to the least resistance. I wish the model FSD shock was available for the front ZF IFS as well but it isn't last I checked, as this might make the ride even smoother.

I am real happy with the ride improvement as it is though. I though my front shocks were in need of replacement but it turned out that the rear shocks were the worst. They did not work at all anymore with just 28000 miles on them.
Harry B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 11:30 AM   #3
Winnie-Wise

+1 on Harry's comments. I put Koni FSDs all the way around on my Vectra and not regretted it.
emiddleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 11:54 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

We have a Dutch Star. I tested shocks for Reyco Granning to smooth out the ride after the front axle change. the sent me about five different sets of Bilstein shocks, each with different valving. The last set had 30% less compression than stock. That set was pretty good. Then they sent a set of Koni adjustables. I have them set for the least resistance and it's much better now. Koni doesn't make an FSD for the front. I also put FSD's on the rear.
Reyco Granning still swears by Bilsteins and I haven't tried the new ComfortTack ones. They appear to work like the Koni FSD's as they self adjust to the bump. Obviously they're different to avoid patents though. The new Bilsteins are about $50 each cheaper if you shop around.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 12:21 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

I also put Koni shocks on front and rear. The ride and handling were greatly improved and after 10,000 miles they were still in good shape. Then I made a 9,000 mile trip to Alaska and back under really awful road conditions. In some places I could only go 20mph. After the trip the front end bounced up and down as the front shocks were out. Koni honored the warranty and replaced the front shocks so I am happy and would stay with Koni's in the future.
jim & debbie, 04 journey 34H
jimmccreary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 10:09 AM   #6
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmccreary View Post
I also put Koni shocks on front and rear. The ride and handling were greatly improved and after 10,000 miles they were still in good shape. Then I made a 9,000 mile trip to Alaska and back under really awful road conditions. In some places I could only go 20mph. After the trip the front end bounced up and down as the front shocks were out. Koni honored the warranty and replaced the front shocks so I am happy and would stay with Koni's in the future.
Approx. $ ??

2002 Itasca Suncruiser - WH Chassis - 35U - 2006 Jeep Liberty
hamguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 02:27 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

hamguy,

I paid $189 each for both front and rear Konis for my Freighliner XC chasis.

In order to make these fit, they needed to "cut bolts" which I am not clear about and so the installation cost totaled about $600.

My new shocks covered by Koni warranty were free but then the installation for both front shocks was $175.

Below is a link to help you find the type of Koni shocks that fit your rig.

MOTORHOME & RV Shock Absorbers

hope this helps,
jim & debbie, 04 Journey 34H
Old 11-03-2011, 07:02 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

I have called around and searched the internet for availability and so fat I have struck out. Seems as if they are on back order until February. Found the best price was LTB.

Don, WIT 70041
Old 11-04-2011, 09:03 AM   #9
Winnebago Watcher

At 40000 miles I went with the ComfortRide Bilsteins as the Koni were more expensive and had only a 1 year warranty. The coach is much more stable and rides smoother. Somewhere online I found a comparison test that suggested these two brands performed about the same--might have been Motorhome.
colo.kids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 10:09 AM   #10
Winnie-Wise

Jim - Re: cut bolts mentioned in post 7. When I replaced the front shocks on my RV I found the shocks & bolts had been installed prior to putting the body on the frame. The upper bolts could not be removed because of the body frame - I had to cut the bolts in order to remove the original shocks. I replaced the the cut bolts with new grade 8 bolts.
Safe Travels
Bob
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 10:22 AM   #11
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimesy View Post
I have called around and searched the internet for availability and so fat I have struck out. Seems as if they are on back order until February. Found the best price was LTB.

Don, WIT 70041
I bought my Koni's from LTB.......good price, quick delivery, no tax or shipping to California.
Old 11-11-2011, 01:13 AM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Have run into a supply/configuration problem so need some numbers. Koni gave me a product number of 90 1922, for replacement shocks on my 2005 XC ZF IFS Freightliner chassis, however this shock has an eye type mounting on the top and a threaded pin type on the bottom. My present shocks have the threaded pin type mounts on both the upper and lower and my calls to the dealers/ manufactuers are being ignored.

If you have the numbers off your instalation would appreciate the info.

Don
Old 11-12-2011, 01:29 PM   #13
Winnebago Owner

Don,
here is a link you may find interesting. They identified the same shocks that I used:

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f26/koni-...ine-87574.html

my konis are gold and the part numbers are:
8805-1020 for front and
8805-1022 for the rear.
each shock was $189.95.
attached is photo of front shocks so that you can see what bolt was cut.
the replacement bolt was 1/2 x 5.5" grade n although 1ciderdog picked grade 8
hope this helps.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5280a.jpg
Views:	303
Size:	319.3 KB
ID:	15617  
Old 11-12-2011, 03:01 PM   #14
Winnebago Owner

I forgot to add that the Koni warranty is for as long as the purchaser continues to own the vehicle. This can be much longer than 1 year mentioned above.

Koni North America - ITT - Warranty

hope this helps,
Old 11-12-2011, 05:29 PM   #15
Winnie-Wise

The Journey does not have IFS. It uses a different shock on the front. As I mentioned in a previous post, I don't believe that there is a FSD model available for an IFS chassis.

I can't find the paper work to provide the part number of my front shocks. I'll take a look tomorrow if any p/n is stamped on the shocks that might be visible.
Harry B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 06:58 PM   #16
Winnebago Owner

I can't see what bolt would have needed to be cut.

$600 to install 4 shocks? I would have done it for 1/3 that and felt guilty in doing so.
Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 07:44 PM   #17
Winnebago Master

For the benefit of others, here's a response that the OP received over on the Winnebago forum on rvforum.net:
Henderson's Line-up, a shop that specializes in RV front end work, carries these Koni's for the ZF IFS

Koni Adjustable Shocks for Freightliner XC Chassis with ZF IFS Front Suspension (55 degree wheel cut)

I think the Koni number is 90-1922.

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 12:01 AM   #18
Winnebago Owner

Ordered through Koni, hopefully they are able to deliver. $197.00, per shock and $15.00 shipping. Got my fingers crossed about delivery. What should have been a simple procedure turned into a mini nightmare. Thanks all for help and info.

Don, WIT 70041

Tags
shocks