Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Running Gear, Axles, Brakes, Wheels and Tires
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 01-20-2015, 07:44 AM   #21
Winnebago Master

I carried an unmounted spare to Alaska trailing 21 other rigs. Only tire problems were blowouts on fivers that carried spares. Have not needed a spare on my DP in almost 12yrs/over 90k miles. Even road service could not have helped in remote British Columbia when we blew a hydraulic hose because we were 300 miles from cell phone service. I patched it together w/parts I had w/me, but even remote areas had some very creative repair guys who were normally pretty quick to help.
Old 01-20-2015, 09:04 AM   #22
Winnie-Wise

When I bought my MH in 2005 (with no spare) I decided to buy a spare to carry with me. Wrapped it in plastic-on-a-spool from Home Depot and with three nylon cargo straps secured it between the frame rails under the aft end of my Workhorse chassis.

That spare went 65,000 miles with me until I had a blowout (determined to be a faulty new tire by Michelin) on I-95 in GA. Road service changed it and I was on my way about 20 minutes ater his arrival.

Having a correct sized spare was cheap insurance for when I did need it. If I never would have needed it, it still would have been worth it to me.

FJF
Ding-a-ling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 08:32 PM   #23
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
In our case we have 275/70's on the rear and 305/70's on the front so that won't work for us. A lot of rigs don't have the same size tires all the way around either.
For me, I'd then carry the 275/70 for the front. If a rear tire wasn't available, as an 'emergency tactic' only, you could still remove the blown rear and get off a main road or highway. A lot of extra weight on the one remain dual tire, but I've seen it done and naturally, I'm not suggesting driving any real distance.

Blown front not available, you're stuck, and not going anywhere for a day or two.
RTegarini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 07:07 AM   #24
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hikerdogs View Post
In almost all cases the offset of the mounting plate on the rim is the same for front, rear inner, and rear outer wheels. The inner duals and front tires are mounted with the plate offset to the outside. The outer duals are mounted with the offset to the inside.
As for the difference between the thickness of steel and aluminum wheels, they will all fit on the wheel studs. If you replace an aluminum wheel with a steel one you just crank the lug nuts down a few more turns.
Thanks for setting me straight. I didn't know that. You must have personal/professional experience in this area.

But the fact still remains that I don't carry the equipment to handle the job of changing a tire on my coach. If I did I would still not want to carry a spare because of the size and weight. My rims are 22.5". As long as I am traveling in the lower US I feel safe knowing I have road service just a call away. Just handling that beast needs some wisdom that only experience can provide. I have neither in this case. (Nor the desire.)

Happy trails and tire changing.

Rick Y
Old 01-21-2015, 05:43 PM   #25
Winnie-Wise

I have driven motorhomes for nearly forty years. In all that time, I have only had one blowout and that was due to fourteen year old tires. My advice is, unless you're going to Alaska or somewhere really remote with terrible highways, forget the spare and have a good roadside service plan. (and NEVER drive on old, cracked tires more than 10 years old)
Old 01-21-2015, 05:55 PM   #26
Winnebago Owner

I am in the camp of carry a spare. Preferably mounted, but unmounted works ok. This to ensure minimal interruption to a trip and precludes being charged a high price for a potentially unmatched tire.

No I don't plan on changing it myself. ERS handles that.

I have had three times a tire problem. Each time was relatively quick and easy to resolve with a telephone call and my spare.

There is not a right or wrong answer. YMMV and different strokes for different folks.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote