Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-18-2010, 10:53 AM   #1
Winnie-Wise

Mix tires front/back?

Think I know the answer but want to doublecheck...

I have Michelin's on the front, replaced old ones.

Now going to replace the back four Michelins, due to price/availability thinking of the Goodyear G670s.

Any issues? Certainly can't mix tires side-to-side but front-to-back?

Thanks,

Ed
emiddleb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 12:37 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Technically if they were all new, the exact same physical size and construction you could mix them. However the likelyhood of that is remote. Given the fact that 2 of the tires have some wear on them I would leave them on the front axle and possibly switch sides if an abnormal wear pattern starts to appear. I would not mix them with the new tires in the dual positions. The wear reduces the diameter of the tires. When paired with a new tire it will force the newer larger diameter tire to carry more of the weight.
Old 03-18-2010, 01:06 PM   #3
Winnie-Wise

Hikerdogs,

I appreciate the response, but I think you misunderstood.

The Vectra came with 6 Michelins that have to be replaced now. I did the front ones last fall, now have to do the 4 in the back. I'm leaving the new (ok, 1-yr old) Michelins XZA3s on the front.

Just wondered if there was any problem with putting 4 new Goodyear G670s on the back. NOT mixing tires on any axle. Just making sure having the two Michelins on the front axle and four Goodyears on the back dully axle wouldn't give me any issues, like vibrations or anything.
Old 03-18-2010, 01:18 PM   #4
I helped | retired moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by emiddleb View Post
Hikerdogs,

I appreciate the response, but I think you misunderstood.

The Vectra came with 6 Michelins that have to be replaced now. I did the front ones last fall, now have to do the 4 in the back. I'm leaving the new (ok, 1-yr old) Michelins XZA3s on the front.

Just wondered if there was any problem with putting 4 new Goodyear G670s on the back. NOT mixing tires on any axle. Just making sure having the two Michelins on the front axle and four Goodyears on the back dully axle wouldn't give me any issues, like vibrations or anything.
No problem.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 01:36 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

No problem whatsoever, many OTR Trucks use different brands on front and rear. Many people use the Goodyears for the rear due to their high mileage and long life but do not like them as steer tires due to their sensitivity to over-load and under-inflation resulting in rivering patterns on the front.

You seldom hear of blowouts on the Goodyears but often here of zippers in the Michelins and premature replacment due to the cracking. My opinion, but based on lots of research on many forums. Beware of old dating on many tires at purchase due to the reduction in MH sales and production. Insist on a fresh dating code.
Old 03-18-2010, 01:38 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

I think you'll be fine. Because U will have diff brand tires (diff dia) and diff tire wear (fronts are older than rears)...U shouldn't rotate any tires front to back because the 2 tires on the same side of dual axle should be within 1/4" dia of each other in order for both tires to support weights equally. Having said that, I see lots of truck trailers with 1 bald tire on the duals and mix/match tire brands... oh well... I tend to be more cautious.
Old 03-18-2010, 01:45 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

$30 dollar rebate per tire on the Goodyears.

Link: On The Wings of Goodyear | RV Tires - Promotions
Old 03-18-2010, 02:32 PM   #8
Winnie-Wise

Thanks everyone! Thought I'd be ok, but Class As are such funny beasts I thought I'd better make sure.