Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-06-2010, 02:14 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Angry Michelin or Goodyear Tires

OK, heres the deal. I will need to replace the Michelin 255/80 R22.V XRV tires on my motorhome soon. (Next year or so) I'm aware of the issue of the age of tires, how to find the date my tires were made, etc.

I called around to see if I could obtain new tires. One tire dealer gave me a quote on Goodyear G670 RV MRT with a size of 265/75R22.5. First thing I noticed was the difference in size. Called dealer, he informed me that the Goodyear was the equivalent size of the Michelin. I then asked about getting new, fresh, tires and not ones that already had a number of years on them. He informed me that he didn't have control over that and that the tires would likely be at least a year or more older...perhaps 18 months or so. Then, I looked at various posts on IRV2.com. I found a lot of unhappy campers with Goodyear and how they were treated especially by Goodyear. One fellow motorhome owner bought tires that were 6 years old, and when he called Goodyear to try to get some relief, he was essentially told...tough, you bought em. The posts really turned me off to Goodyear. Take a look at what has been reported.

Then I attempted to find a Michelin dealer. At first I was elated, I found a dealer right here in my home town. My elation was soon deflated after I talked to this dealer. Yes, he could get me the Michelin XRV in the size I mentioned above. Great, I thought! Then I indicated that I wanted to get new tires and not ones that had been sitting around and were two or three years old. This dealer firmly stated that he couldn't guarantee anything concerning the age of the "new" (I use that reference advisedly when talking about rv tires).

I understand all the stuff about numbers, marketing, production and how all this is very different with motorhome tires as opposed to auto tires. However, why should a motorhome customer be expected to take a hit and be the victim of older tires that the manufacturer needs to unload. We need to complain loudly and often about this situation. It is the manufacturers problem to find a solution. And, the solution is not to dump the tires on some uninformed motorhome owner.

Do any of you out there know of a way to get the newest Michelin XRV tires possible and where? This crap is quite discouraging in a hundred ways. No wonder our economy sucks. Manufacturers need to see this from the side of the customer. Maybe one of the execs needs to go on the new tv series where the boss gets out of their ivory towers and mingles with us peons that use their products.

I would appreciate any advice as to how to resolve the tire dilemma that many of us face.
mycoolbeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 02:36 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

You might want to consider Bridgestones as an option, they're a great tire and virtually trouble free. We've used them now for several years with no issues.

Good luck with your choice

2000 Residency 3790 v10 w/tags 5 Star tune & Banks system Suzuki XL7 toad
LVJ58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 02:56 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

We just got new Michelins last August. The dealer had to order them and they were all within 5 months of each other. The oldest was about 5 months old. Why don't you call Michelin and ask?
Cousin Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 03:48 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

I replaced Michelins with Continentals (because I could not get my size Michelins in LRH). Both times I did that at two different Best One tire locations, the new tire dates were 5 to 7 months prior.
Old 04-06-2010, 04:02 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

I know you did not ask But I can recommend TOYOS

I like the Toyo Tires up here in the NW myself..

Make sure you know if you are getting commercial casings or not when getting quotes.I am not sure about the size tire if the default to commercial casings or not.
Old 04-06-2010, 04:06 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

Interesting thread,will be looking into 7 new tires myself in near future.
Goggle your question to see what might be the answer and found same problem really no answer.
So I put the question to Michelin contact link on how I can be guarantied dates close to each other because they determine their warranty claims on dates of their mfg date.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 07:00 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

Hi Cool Beans,

You may still want to consider Michelin only another series. The XZE comes in the same size as your XRVs and has the advantage of being a long haul truck tire with deeper tread, better sun resistance, better stability, and availability pretty much everywhere. The XZE was and may still be the standard tire for Winnebago’s larger Freightliner coaches. Our 2004 Horizon came equipped with 275/80R22.5 XZEs and we have only replaced two of them so far due to a front-end alignment problem.

After correcting the front end, we rotated those two tires to the inside rear and they ran for 80,000 miles before the slightly smaller diameter of the worn inside tires caused them to scuff off to a size too small to be serviceable. When we replaced the two tires, the ones on the front that came from the inside rear originally were moved back to the inside rear since them still had over half the tread depth and matched the outside tires exactly. The new tires were fitted to the front.

We also had a Winnebago Journey that came originally equipped with XRV tires that we exchanged for the next size up in the XZE line. 235 to 255. I had the CAT Pocket Tec so I was able to re-program the engine computer for the difference in RPM(ile). But on yours, the difference would only be 541 to 538 RPM and shouldn’t make enough of a difference to worry about at just over 0.5%.

My guess is you’ll like the ride and since they are very common tires, the date code should be much younger and if you ever need a new one because of a blow out (never happened to us in over 175,000 miles), you should be able to find new ones any where you are.
Old 04-06-2010, 07:08 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

I just bought 6 of those Michelin tires with mfg dates of 10-09. You should be able to shop around to get the best price and freshest tires.
Old 04-06-2010, 07:13 PM   #9
Winnie-Wise

I have had really great success with the Bridgestone ribbed commercial radials on 2 motorhomes. I will NEVER put another Firestone on my heavy vehicles.

Ken
Old 04-07-2010, 06:06 AM   #10
Winnie-Wise

In early March I bought Michelins at large tire dealer in the Tampa area - this particular store was where they service trucks. The tires were made in the last week of 2009.

I think inventory turn-over is the key here.
Ding-a-ling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 07:02 AM   #11
Winnie-Wise

I just saw yesterday that CW and Goodyear has the $60.00 per tire rebate back
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 08:08 PM   #12
Winnebago Camper

I am in the market for the exact same tires for my 04 Journey. I have a truck tire shop about two miles away and they quoted me around 525.00 per tire and said that the tires will be around 60 days old. Not sure if that is a good price.
Ed O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 09:39 PM   #13
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007";623669]Interesting thread,will be looking into 7 new tires myself in near future.
[B][URL="http://www.google.com/search?q=michlin+same+date+mfg+rv+tires+for+replac ement&rls=com.microsoft:*&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&startIndex=&startPage=1&rlz=1I7RNTN_en
Goggle [/URL][/B]your question to see what might be the answer and found same problem really no answer.
So I put the question to Michelin contact link on how I can be guarantied dates close to each other because they determine their warranty claims on dates of their mfg date.
Having the same problem finding "new" Michelin tires. Just don't understand why the warranty date starts with the manufactured date and not the installed date. New car warranties start from date of sale even if the "new" car is 1-2 years old. The way tire manufacturers operate, we are losing 20% of the 5 year warranty if the tire is only 1 year old, let alone 2-3 years, but we are paying full price.

Wagonmaster2
wagonmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 09:52 PM   #14
Winnebago Camper

Price Quote I Received

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed O. View Post
I am in the market for the exact same tires for my 04 Journey. I have a truck tire shop about two miles away and they quoted me around 525.00 per tire and said that the tires will be around 60 days old. Not sure if that is a good price.
I got a price quote of $450.00 for Goodyear G670 and $475.00 for Michelins xrv.
Add $15.00 for mounting each, $18.00 for balancing each, and $8.00 for scrapping the old tires. This stuff adds up to real money very quickly. I'm still shopping around. I'll let you all know what I find out. I'm still hung up on avoiding getting tires that are not fresh.
mycoolbeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 09:58 PM   #15
Winnebago Camper

It's common throughout the industry to have brand new tires that are 6-12 months old, small cars to big trucks.

The warranty for Michelin actually runs for five years from date of purchase, not manufacture. Copied from the warranty info on the website.

Quote:
WHAT IS COVERED AND FOR HOW LONG –
CONSUMER USE
Workmanship and Materials
MICHELIN® truck tires bearing the MICHELIN® name and
complete serial and identification numbers, used in consumer
service, such as on a motorhome, according to the instructions
contained in this Operator’s Manual, are covered by this limited
warranty against defects in workmanship and materials for the life of
the original tread, or five years from the date of purchase, whichever
occurs first. At that time, all warranties, expressed or implied, expire
Michelin North America RV Reference Materials Page

Six years is a bit extreme but most any tire that's common at all turns its stock at least a couple of times a year. During my career typical was as low as a couple of months old to about eight. Occasionally I'd see one as old as 18 months.

Kept in a warehouse out of sunlight I would worry one bit about anything less than two years old.
sknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 10:28 PM   #16
Winnebago Master

Wagonmaster2, sknight has it correct, received a return e-mail from Michelin and they said dealer may have problem getting 6 or 7 tires with same build date from same Michelin warehouse or other location.
They said to keep all paper work because the warranty starts on the install date of your tires on motor home, not the date of tire manufacturing.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 11:03 PM   #17
Winnebago Camper

I just dealt with this dilema yesterday. I have Goodyear G169's on the rear (duals) and XRV's on the front. The XRV's are about 7 years old with great tread, but are weather checking. I found two XRV's at the Goodyear dealer that they had ordered for a customer but were not picked up. The dealer wanted to move them since they dont carry Michelin's. They were manufactured the 27th month of 2009 which I decided was reasonable. I paid a total of $1156 for the two. $450 for the tires, $30 balancing, $35 for mount and dismount, $8.95 for valve stems, $40 for sales tax, $1.00 for something, no FET, no disposal fee, times 2, plus $10.50 for shop supplies (??? maybe water, air, handcleaner ???). That was the cheapest price in Spokane, Wa. I checked all the big-tire places (truck shops).

I wanted to go with Goodyear G670's but heard too many stories of "rivering", so went with "weather checking"

BTW... I now have a question about air pressure. Newmar shows, on the MH sticker, 95# for Goodyears on the rear, and 105# for Michelins on the front. The Goodyear dealer uses the pressure shown on the tire, 110#, and I hear on the forums that we should weight the wheels individually and use the manufacturer's chart for the proper pressure.

Can anyone explain which one we should use?
Romeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 02:23 AM   #18
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romeo View Post
I just dealt with this dilema yesterday. I have Goodyear G169's on the rear (duals) and XRV's on the front. The XRV's are about 7 years old with great tread, but are weather checking. I found two XRV's at the Goodyear dealer that they had ordered for a customer but were not picked up. The dealer wanted to move them since they dont carry Michelin's. They were manufactured the 27th month of 2009 which I decided was reasonable. I paid a total of $1156 for the two. $450 for the tires, $30 balancing, $35 for mount and dismount, $8.95 for valve stems, $40 for sales tax, $1.00 for something, no FET, no disposal fee, times 2, plus $10.50 for shop supplies (??? maybe water, air, handcleaner ???). That was the cheapest price in Spokane, Wa. I checked all the big-tire places (truck shops).

I wanted to go with Goodyear G670's but heard too many stories of "rivering", so went with "weather checking"

BTW... I now have a question about air pressure. Newmar shows, on the MH sticker, 95# for Goodyears on the rear, and 105# for Michelins on the front. The Goodyear dealer uses the pressure shown on the tire, 110#, and I hear on the forums that we should weight the wheels individually and use the manufacturer's chart for the proper pressure.

Can anyone explain which one we should use?
here is the michelin rv pressure chart and other info:
Michelin Americas Truck Tires XRV® Page

here is the pressure and info chart for goodyear rv tires:
On The Wings of Goodyear | RV Tires - Tire Care: Proper Tire Inflation

imo, they are pretty similar.

definitely use the front axle weight divided by 2 and the rear axle weight divided by 4 for your desired inflation.
when i did not have the tst tire pressure and temp monitor, i added 10 psi to the amount indicated on the chart for cushion in case of a leak developing. with tpms i run 85 psi on all 6.
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L SW Wa, Hi. Good Sam, SKP. AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '14 smart car
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 05:13 PM   #19
Winnebago Camper

I just got a set of 6 G670's put on with a date code of 4709.

1999 Chieftain 35U
RonTon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 09:02 PM   #20
Winnebago Watcher

I purchased 6 new Remington tires, 255-70R 22.5 from a repair shop who bought them from Kaufman Tires' wholesale division for less than half the price of Michelin and two thirds the price of Goodyears. These tire are made by Dunlop in Buffalo N.Y and are warranted by Goodyear commercial tire dealers as per Goodyear in Akron. These tires were installed on my rims in March and all were less than 90 days old according to the date stamp. I have driven approximately 2300 miles on them and the ride and handling is excellent. So far so good!