Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-12-2019, 10:44 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Mercedes Sprinter tire monitoring system

We have a Winnebago 2019 24J on the Sprinter chassis.
Thinking of putting on a tire monitoring system. Wondering if anyone
has found the one that fits the Mercedes Duals, etc. Would like to use
the flow thru sensors if possible for ease of use.

Thanks
Dave and Cindy Beach
[email protected]
coloradohi1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 01:33 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

I suspect you are looking at two separate items as the TPMS I've looked at do not come with anything to adapt the valve stems to fit the sending units. different tires mounted different ways means it takes some looking to find what extension stem tube, etc. to use for each setup.
I decided against the flow through type due to the extra size and weight which seemed like it would put more strain on the mount as it spun. I found that the tires change very little once I reached to correct level, so found letting air out was simple enough and I've not needed to add air so far. I have a type which has special little wrench to fit down over the sender to make it hard to steal but it also makes it pretty much like removing a cap when you have the wrench. The wrench is more like a claw that sets down on the sender and it gives a metal "knob" to turn, not like a wrench which has to be repositioned each turn or move.
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 01:59 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Thanks Morich.
I am not sure there is enough room for the sensors and I probably need metal stems so
the sensors aren't flopping around. When I get the miles required for the first inspection
at the Mercedes dealer I will check with them to see what they recommend and if they
install them. thanks again
Dave
Old 08-12-2019, 05:36 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Getting the right combo of straight metal extension and flexible tubing to bring the inside tires stem out was far harder than anything else on the sender/ TPMS--- after the shopping!
One of those setups where the short one left the sender right at the hole in the rim, so that I could not turn it and the long was too long and stuck out looking like something that should break off.
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 09:20 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Morich

I would like to get both senders just under the hub cap. That way they could be
serviced easily. And maybe use the holes in the rim to stabilize them. Probably
easier to go to Mars, but I can dream.
Old 08-21-2019, 05:08 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Pacific Dualies 18135 135 Degree Valve Stem Extension - Set of 2 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002L9D6YK..._C7CxDb301K6Y5
Lmonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 05:55 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

We have been using Tire Safeguard monitoring systems for over 10 years. We had some flow thru from our prior Class A. The mass was too much for the flex steel for the duals, and the front rubber stems. We needed new tires, and went to specific metal valve stems, which bolt on the rim from the inside. We went with "Your Tire Shop" metal valve stems--you need specific stems for the year and type of wheel. Our commercial tire shop knew how to put them in and had the equipment to balance with the stems in place (many do not--so you use "balancing beads". I found that the round non flow thru sensors worked--but I had to pull the hub caps on the front to get them precisely lined up.

Do not use the flow thru on rubber valve stems, or the flex metal on the Sprinter!
thataway4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 09:51 PM   #8
2016 View 24J Profile

Rather than going through the expense and and pain of installing a TPMS system that has its own problems, I installed all steel valve stems. I purchased a digital tire pressure gauge and spend the first minute of my trips checking tire pressures on all 6 wheels. I also carry a tire repair kit and compressor so I can fix a flat if it occurs on the road.
BT W never use “extensions” on your tires, that is a problem waiting to happen.
https://www.shinyrv.com/product-cate...edes-sprinter/
Old 10-12-2019, 04:01 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Alan: Do you have "wheel simulators" on your steel wheels, and if so, do the valve stems extend far enough so that you can access them through the wheel simulator?
Thanks.
Robert T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 10:32 PM   #10
2016 View 24J Profile

Yes, these steel valve stems just reach through the holes in the whee covers for perfectly simple filling and checking.
They are held firmly in place to just extend through the wheel simulators
I’m very pleased with the results, highly recommend
Old 10-14-2019, 05:18 AM   #11
2016 View 24J Profile

Yes I have “wheel simulators” on my steel wheels and yes the valves do extend just enough through them to make for easy access. No need to remove the simulators just to check pressure