Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-09-2012, 11:27 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

KONI FSD ride report

OK my 04 39K Journey has been transformed. I bought my coach used with 34000miles on it so I have been doing maintenence on it and customizing it as my wife and I want. Ive been reading all the shock threads so this was somewhat a easy decision for me. First Im not full timing, mearley a weekend warrior. The Road Kings sure look trick but I couldnt justify the cost as my coach is parked most of the time. I sprung for the KONIs and I couldnt be happier. Now I dont have anything to compare them against but I can tell you this. I took my coach to West Coast Frame in West Sacramento for a alignment and wheel re clock. My rig was all over the road, kind of pulled to the right and porposed down these crappy California freeways and the wheel was pointing at about 1:30ish. I couldnt find any KONIs local so I called Redlands RV and they had them in stock, shipped the same day. Big ups to those guys, very competent and helpful, a true pleasure to do business with. So my coach is in the shop getting aligned. I had the shocks shipped to me so I went and dropped them off at their shop. They didnt finish the same day so I went and picked it up the next day. Turns out my wheel bearings were loose and my wheels were towed in a bit. The mechanic recommended that I run 110psi in the front tires and 100psi in the rear so I told him I wanted to try it. He explained that the tires are not part of the suspension system which makes sense but I might lower the pressure a little.
Anyways the first thing I noticed when I pulled out of their yard was how ridgid it felt. My wheel was centered as should be, even the steering felt tighter. I got going down the street and the next thing was my annoying door squeek is half of what it was, almost tolerable. I then got on the crappy I-5 freeway and up to speed. The porposing is gone for the most part. The freeway cracks are there but I think that is tire pressure. The off ramps seem less leaning so to speak, very stable in the turn. I can tilt the wheel all the way back and steer with 1 hand at the bottom of the wheel. I had to have both hands on the wheel at all times before because it was all over the road. Slowing down seems easier?? No front end dive or bounce at the stop lights(unless I pump the brake pedal). These are the first impressions on a 25 mile ride home from the repair shop. We are off to Napa this weekend for some wine tasteing and R&R. I should get a little more driving time in for a better report.So far I VERY happy with my decision on the KONIs. Hope this helps anyone on the fence about shocks.
Old 02-10-2012, 12:41 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

I'm happy with my Konis too. But I noticed that your tire air pressure seems high.
I have an 04 Journey 34H that weighs 2400lbs fully loaded (about 8500lb front and 15500 rear). According to the michelin XRV load tables, I can safely run approximately 90lb air pressure without worrying about under-inflation. At this pressure the ride is comfortable and does not feel rigid.

When having my RV serviced, they would always air up to 100lbs each tire. When I asked how they got that pressure, they said they simply looked on the tag next to driver seat which said 100lbs. When I mentioned that that was for GVW of 27000lbs, they said they were required to use that tire pressure unless I requested otherwise.

Your rig is probably heavier than mine, but I recommend that you have it weighed to find out if you can get by with a lower pressure.
Hope this helps.
jim & debbie, 04 Journey 34H, c7
jimmccreary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 07:51 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Yeah Im going to adjust to 95 front and 90 rear. That is where it was and seemed ok.
Old 02-10-2012, 08:02 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Glad all worked out for you. I don't know about the comment the tech made about tire pressure though. In my experience over inflated front tires especially will cause the front end to drift. We don't have a DP but I run 95 front and 90 rear according to our loaded weight.
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 11:49 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Very happy with mine as well. I'm running 90lbs. all the way around with no problems on my 05 Southwind.
Ride couldn't be better then before with the Bilsteins.
RovinOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 03:47 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

I couldn't agree more with most of the answers here. Get it weighed and then check the tire chart for the manufacturer of your tires. If I recall, there's a new law on the books that has something to do with a Tech at any auto/RV/truck etc repair establisment HAS to check the tire pressure while doing service on your vehicle. They, in many cases are guided by a tag, or what's labeled on the side of the tires.

When I weighed our previous coach, a '99 Bounder 34V with the F-53 Chassis, it weighed 13,200 in the rear (rear axle rating 13,500) and, 5500 lbs in the front, (front axle rating of 7000 lbs.) Well, being that far off in the front, caused a severe wandering problem because of the improper loading of the rig right from Fleetwoods factory. They had/have a 100 gallon water tank in the very rear of the coach, a 75 gallon fuel tank behind the rear axle and, a 14 gallon propane tank, behind the right duals.

So, my point, based on the weights, and the chart, which did not go low enough for the front weights, I ran 75 psi in the fronts, and 85 in the rears. The coach stopped wandering immediately and road considerably better than when I left a Big-O tire dealer which, installed 6 new tires and, inflated all of them to 110 because that's what was on the sidewall of the tires. In running the pressures I did, I would check them frequently with an infrared temp gun while traveling and they were always at normal operating temps. And, with the psi I was running up to when I sold it, which at the time had approximately 5-7K miles on it, the wear was perfect. And, I was running Bilstiens which I was not too fond of.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 08:52 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Well I definetly need to adjust the tire pressure. Anyone know where I can get a good quality tire gauge that goes to 100psi and isnt made in china?
Old 02-17-2012, 07:39 PM   #8
iRV2 Marketing

Quote:
Originally Posted by the4js View Post
Well I definitely need to adjust the tire pressure. Anyone know where I can get a good quality tire gauge that goes to 100psi and isn't made in china?
Hard to do but I bought a commercial grade (truck) dual foot stick gauge at NAPA.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 08:02 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

I like my adjustable Koni's as well, smooths out the ride but yet stable and predictable. Much better than the Bilsteins, which was harsh and stiff. As far as tire PSI's I run 120 in my steer's because of 14100 pounds of weight on them. With that much air pressure, the right shock is important for ride quality.

Tags
koni

« shocks | Need tires »