Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-09-2015, 09:11 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

It's been 7 years, time for new tires

I'm currently using Michelin 235/80R22.5 tires. While I have plenty of tread on my tires, I am seeing some sidewalk cracking. I'm open to considering other brands. I would like to get an idea from others out there that have recently purchased tires, what they paid and what brand they went with. Thank you.

300 HP Cat Diesel
GaDawgFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 09:36 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

I always go with Michelin.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 10:29 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

We went with Sailun S737s, $220 a tire, $30 a tire to mount and balance with new metal valve stems, 6000 miles so far and no complaints. We have traveled highway, dirt, mud, and snow and they have handled it all.
Grandpere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 12:33 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
I always go with Michelin.
Same here. On my third purchased set of XRV's, without issues. last set bought via the FMCA Michelin purchase program, was a good price and excellent service via Michelin authorized truck dealer.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 12:45 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

I am a part of another forum that has a member with over 40 years in the tire industry with his last position as CEO of Sumitomo tires. He does not recommend one brand over another as in his opinion the major manufacturers all produce quality products.

Bottom line, if you're a FMCA member check their prices on Michelins, but don't be afraid to shop around to other established manufacturers as well.
BobGed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 06:49 AM   #6
Winnie-Wise

Can't find my invoice right now but I went back with the Michelin 235's. I used the FMCA discount program and I think it was about $350/tire installed. That was 3 years ago.

Michelin is about the only one that makes the 235's
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 06:53 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Michelin $385.00 ea
Hercules $200.00
You tires will exceed age limits before they wear out.
And I have Michelin LTX MS2's on all 4 of my other vehicles.
mbridinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 01:01 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Thank you for the responses

The owner of the shop that does the maintenance on my motor home recommended a tire company to me and suggested that I tell them to quote me a price on other reliable tires they may carry as opposed to just the Michelin. Same reasoning as mbrindinger mentioned above, I will have to replace tires well before I wear them out.

The tire company related that only Michelin produces the 235/80R22.5 and quoted me $460.99 each (installed). I am not sure if that claim is accurate.

He also said I could switch to a tire sold by Kelly, but I would have to go with a different size, 255/70R22.5. He said I should not be giving up any load capacity and said it actually a better made tire. The price for the Kelly tire is $217.99 each.

I have no understanding of tires and would like some opinions here.

300 HP Cat Diesel
GaDawgFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 02:09 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

My guy switched me over to Sumitomo 2.45 75R 22.5. That was 4 years ago I am happy. He said this size is available at any truck shop.
Old 02-10-2015, 02:28 PM   #10
Winnie-Wise

Don't know if they have your size but I went with Toyo's from Les Schwab 2 years ago. $2700 out the door vs a quote of $4000 for Michelin's.

UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 05:47 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

I have an 05 Itasca Horizon and went with the Toyo tires 4 years ago. Great ride and better handling (Less sway) than the previous Michelins. Will definitely buy the Toyo tires again.
lwasouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 05:53 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

I stayed with the xrv's that were on the coach that freightliner put on when they shipped the chassis to winnebago. Just replaced them last spring as they were getting weather checked. That is the best tire you can but these day's but expensive. You would never ware them out before they rotted off. I was told the they go 300,000 miles. They handle very well on our coach and if it works I'll stick with it.
KA7UYZ NRA Endowment Member Retired Fire Service
dnystrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 05:55 PM   #13
Winnebago Camper

The fact that you tires will age out before they wear out does not make Michelin a bad choice. There is more to a tire than wear. Like ride, handling, and safety for example.
Old 02-10-2015, 08:07 PM   #14
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaDawgFan View Post
The owner of the shop that does the maintenance on my motor home recommended a tire company to me and suggested that I tell them to quote me a price on other reliable tires they may carry as opposed to just the Michelin. Same reasoning as mbrindinger mentioned above, I will have to replace tires well before I wear them out.

The tire company related that only Michelin produces the 235/80R22.5 and quoted me $460.99 each (installed). I am not sure if that claim is accurate.

He also said I could switch to a tire sold by Kelly, but I would have to go with a different size, 255/70R22.5. He said I should not be giving up any load capacity and said it actually a better made tire. The price for the Kelly tire is $217.99 each.

I believe what you would be giving up is ride quality. The first three numbers refer to the tread width and the second two numbers refer to the side wall height. The 255/70R22.5 has a wider tread, but less side wall height than the 235/80R22.5. The 255/70R22.5 would probably give you better traction and possibly a little more stability on turns, but the overall ride quality would suffer. How much....who knows?
BobGed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 08:13 PM   #15
Winnebago Master

Quote:

Look up the load ratings for each tire on the internet, or request the referenced tire company show you their load rating charts for those tires. I would never drop below what tire load ratings came on the coach, In fact, I would see an increase or not buy smaller tires.
BTW, a smaller tire means a smaller tire "footprint" for braking and handling.
Michelin's aren't the holy grail of tires, there are many reliable brands used on OTR trucks that will do just as well.
And that FMCA discount, the Michelin webpage states to check around because a local Michelin dealer may offer a better price.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 08:27 PM   #16
Winnebago Camper

I have personally used Michelin, BF Goodrich, Firestone, Dunlop, and Goodyear in the last ten years on my motorhomes. All have performed as expected. I used to be a Michelin only person until they sold me a set of car tires that were improperly made and had to be replaced. That said I have had no problems with Michelin on my RVs.

My guess is that there are a number of tire companies that make reliable good tires for RVs these days. I am picky about made in USA though. For the motorhome only made in USA tires are good enough. I like to give the work to our people in this country where all of my family works and lives.
B Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 02:42 PM   #17
Winnebago Master

Quote:
I'm currently using Michelin 235/80R22.5 tires. While I have plenty of tread on my tires, I am seeing some sidewalk cracking. I'm open to considering other brands. I would like to get an idea from others out there that have recently purchased tires, what they paid and what brand they went with. Thank you.
Toyo makes a good tire... but. If your are frequently on rough or dirt roads I would stick with Michelin XZE would be good for this type of driving because of durability. The XRV is a good fuel efficient tire. Shop around. You can get them delivered to your door and go to a tire store to get them mounted for a fair price.

Rick Y
Old 02-17-2015, 07:39 PM   #18
Winnebago Owner

I just bought my coach 2001 Itasca Horizon. They put new Goodyear tires on it as a part of the purchase package.
Sorry to hijack the thread but the tag on the Motorhome says the max tire pressure is 100PSI, do you all run the tires at the max PSI?
ftodaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 08:05 PM   #19
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ftodaro View Post
I just bought my coach 2001 Itasca Horizon. They put new Goodyear tires on it as a part of the purchase package.
Sorry to hijack the thread but the tag on the Motorhome says the max tire pressure is 100PSI, do you all run the tires at the max PSI?

The very best thing is to have your coach weighed. At each wheel position if possible and each axle if not. Then look up the Goodyear commercial tire inflation chart and use the inflations on the chart as the minimum. Tires on the same axle should be inflated to the psi for the heaviest wheel position. Many owners add 5-10 psi as a buffer. The chart is the minimum psi to carry that weight.

Until you get your coach weighed, inflate to carry the GAWR for each axle. They should be on a placard close to the driver's seat.

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 08:37 PM   #20
Winnebago Watcher

I too have seven year old XRV 235/80 22.5 rubber on my coach. No sidewall cracking at all. 10000 miles on them.
I'll be replacing them before we do a cross Canada trip this summer for the peace of mind.
I'm leaning toward the Continental Conti Coach
255/70s as they are used on a lot of long haul buses. Also 255/70 22.5 is a lot more common size than 235/80 22.5 so I won't be packing a spare anymore.
So far I've been quoted a price of $480 a tire over the counter but I have access to a national account. Still waiting on that price.
Kuzzy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tires