Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-30-2008, 05:11 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Our '03 34H Journey has 235/80R 22.5 tires. In another year or so we'll be looking at replacement tires and I'm wondering if I can go up in size to either a 245 or 255 tire. I know this would mean the tranny would have to be re-programed (if that's possible). Has anyone done this or know if it can be done. I realize I should be asking Freightliner about this but I just wanted to hear some opinions before I do.
The main reason I'd like to increase the tire size is for a better ride.
Thanks,
Dave
Old 01-30-2008, 05:11 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Our '03 34H Journey has 235/80R 22.5 tires. In another year or so we'll be looking at replacement tires and I'm wondering if I can go up in size to either a 245 or 255 tire. I know this would mean the tranny would have to be re-programed (if that's possible). Has anyone done this or know if it can be done. I realize I should be asking Freightliner about this but I just wanted to hear some opinions before I do.
The main reason I'd like to increase the tire size is for a better ride.
Thanks,
Dave
Old 01-30-2008, 06:37 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Hi Tagalong,

You will find a lot of info on tires if you check under "tires." I received a lot of info from others in this forum and changed tires last year to the Goodyear G670's 275/70/22.5 which are the replacement size for your tires. They are made for RV's and are a lot more tire than the originals. Max air pressure on the tire is 125 lbs and I run them at 90 lbs. Along with the Koni FDS shocks, they have made a big difference in the ride. You do not need to reprogram the tranny.

Good Luck,

John
bellsharbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 06:12 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Dave,
Just a question purely out of curiosity. Were the 235's the original tire on your rig? My 07 came with 255/80/22.5's. If you go with a tire with a bigger overall diameter, you will probably need to have your speedometer reset/recalibrated by a Freightliner dealer for the difference in size. There is usually a range of revolutions per mile to select from when programming the speedometer.
US Gear UBS
FleetMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 06:55 AM   #5
Winnie-Wise

Our '02 Journey also come with 235/80R22.5 tires from the factory. Those tires caused the GVWR to be "tire limited". In other words, the tire load rating was the weakest link in determining the GVWR.

Later model years switched to a 255/80R22.5 tire size which slightly increased the GVWR.

When it was time for me to replace the tires, I along with quite a few others on this forum utilzed the goodyear G670 RV tire in a 275/70R22.5 size. The 275's are quite a bit wider although they still have plenty of room on your rig and the wheels are setup with the correct duel spacing. Since the tires are a low profile 70 series, the overall diameter is only slightly larger and does not require any type of speedometer adjustment.

Bascially they're a easy replacment. The benefit you'll run into is being able to inflate your tires to a much lower air pressure while carrying a greater load.

Of course, I should state that increasing your tire size and carrying capacity does not legally increase your GVWR, it only provides addtional saftey margin for your tires.
Old 01-31-2008, 06:56 AM   #6

You also have to calculate the minimum space required between the duals when you go up in size.
FrontRangeRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 07:22 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

As stated by Joe, the G670 275/70/22.5 is a great replacement for the OEM 235/80's that came on your coach. The minimum spacing on the duals is within spec with the 275/70's. It is a great tire and, properly inflated based on your load, will give you improved ride and handling.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 07:42 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

Did you see a decrease in fuel mileage when going from 235s to 275s.

-Tom
Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 07:59 AM   #9
Winnie-Wise

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Tom N:
Did you see a decrease in fuel mileage when going from 235s to 275s.

-Tom </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Good Question!

I saw no decrease in fuel mileage. I wondered about that since the wider tire would weigh more and have more contact area with the road, that I would have expected slightly higher rolling resistance. I don't doubt that if both tires were loaded to capacity, the wider tire would have increased rolling resistance, but I think it's so neglible, we don't see a mileage difference.

I also wonder if the fact that the 275's run so much cooler than my 235's used to that they actually dissiapate less energy through heat than the 235's. My 235's ran at maximum pressure used to actually be hot to the touch after a long highway speed drive. The 275's on the other hand, were only lukewarm after a similar drive. That heat is disipated energy which has to come from somewhere.

I don't think I'd suggest increasing the tires size on a 22-24,000 lb rig, where thethe tires already have a lot of excess capacity but on the heavier Journey's it makes sense.
Old 01-31-2008, 08:40 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Great responses everyone! Thanks for all the info. I'll certainly look into the Goodyears.
I realize the rated GVWR will not change due to a tire size increas. I'm not interested in increasing the weight rating, rather the ride.
The 235's are the original tires that came with the coach.
Thanks again for all the info and suggestion.
Dave
Old 01-31-2008, 09:23 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

I have a 03 Horizon which also came with 235s. Last summer I replaced them with 255 G670s. I did not think that the extra cost of the 275s was worth it since the 255 more than exceed the capability of the coach. You can compare the diameter of your tires with any replacement tire and determine the difference you might see on the speedometer. After getting the new tires I used my GPS to check the speedometer and take the two MPH difference into account. I did not bother with having the speedometer recalibrated.
Navy Flier is offline   Reply With Quote