Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Running Gear, Axles, Brakes, Wheels and Tires
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-12-2007, 06:45 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

I have been looking through the manual and can't figure out how to get the wheel covers off. I would like to know before I have a flat tire so I can instruct the tow truck guy on the proper method.
Old 04-12-2007, 06:45 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

I have been looking through the manual and can't figure out how to get the wheel covers off. I would like to know before I have a flat tire so I can instruct the tow truck guy on the proper method.
Old 04-12-2007, 07:02 PM   #3
Winnie-Wise

Bidred,
If they're like mine, every other chrome nut cover (the ones with the dimples on them) can be pulled off. They make a cover pull-off tool. It looks like a large pair of pliers with vinyl coating on the ends to grip the cover easier. You can pull them off with your hands by wiggling them a little and pull toward you..After you remove the nut/lug covers there will be keeper nuts that hold the rim cover to the steel wheel/rim
When re-installing make sure you line-up the valve stem...
Trek-Cyclist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 09:49 PM   #4

FrontRangeRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 03:15 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

On my 1999 F53 chassis the nuts with the dimples screw off.

1999 Chieftain 35U
RonTon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 03:50 AM   #6
Winnie-Wise

On my Brave, there is a tee handle wrench that looks like a big socket stored in the compartment with the lug wrench. Use it to screw off a couple of the lug nuts that is really a cover. Look close and you can tell which ones are a little different. Mine has a barely noticable hash mark on the side of the nut. I remarked the hash with a sharpie to make it easier to see.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 10:54 AM   #7
Winnie-Wise

Ok what's funny?
Trek-Cyclist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 12:21 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Mine only has two per wheel and they screw off with the light wrench. The tee handle broke off mine and a friend welded it back together bbut much stronger
Cousin Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 02:41 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Send a message via AIM to Fossilhog
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Cousin Ed:
Mine only has two per wheel and they screw off with the light wrench. The tee handle broke off mine and a friend welded it back together bbut much stronger </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I had the wrench break also. I had already called road service, they were on their way and I even told them to bring an 1.25 socket and extension but they wouldn't belive me that they were screw-offs. The guy insisted the caps pop off then the lug wrench should remove the lug. I was lucky that in this case the valve extender worked loose and let the air out. I was able to tighten it up and fill the tire. Sent the road service on their way, they were no help.