Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-09-2005, 06:23 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

A few weeks ago I posted about an air leak. Turned out to be a hole (small slit) in the forward air bag.

Freightliner is replacing under warranty, but has no idea how it happend.

Has this ever happened to anyone? Is it something I did wrong?

Thanks,
Walt
Old 03-09-2005, 06:23 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

A few weeks ago I posted about an air leak. Turned out to be a hole (small slit) in the forward air bag.

Freightliner is replacing under warranty, but has no idea how it happend.

Has this ever happened to anyone? Is it something I did wrong?

Thanks,
Walt
Old 03-09-2005, 03:29 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

I have never heard of this problem being discussed on this, or any other RV Forum. Looks like your the lucky one.
hogbreth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2005, 05:49 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Walt,
Did the bag hold air while the compressor was running? What exactly were the symptoms? When I shut my engine off I hear air hiss-someone told me that was normal. I'm not sure if I have a problem or not.
Bill

2003 Fleetwood Discovery 39s Saturn LS2
Xeroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2005, 10:27 AM   #5

KiWi,

I asked that same question of my friends at Freightliner a year ago. To their knowledge it's not happened so far, but it could. These bags are out in the open and are subject to the elements. Road debre can flip up and do almost anything.
I think FreightLiner did you right and covered it. I'll be see those folks in a couple weeks and commend them for an "AT-A-BOY".

Tomcat F15
Old 03-11-2005, 04:36 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Xeroid:
Walt,
Did the bag hold air while the compressor was running? What exactly were the symptoms? When I shut my engine off I hear air hiss-someone told me that was normal. I'm not sure if I have a problem or not.
Bill </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Bill, That was exactly my symptom. Yes the bag did hold air when the compressor was running. As soon as I shut the engine off and got out, I could hear a continually hissing. The bag was filled enough to not be riding on the bottom. BUT, my ride height was off. Now, the coach steers much better and does not hiss when I stop the engine. (unless I dump the air bags).

The handling is a major difference.

The bag had what appeared to be a short diagional ragged cut about 3/8" long. I was told that it could have happened by me moving the coach before air bags were fully inflated. If the coach rocks, it can pinch the bag. I suspect this cause. The bag is of a very very heavy rubber, no rock could puncture it.

It really rides great now.

Walt
Old 03-11-2005, 07:48 AM   #7
Winnie-Wise

Hi Walt,

Just to clarify the hissing you were hearing was constant. It wasn't related to movement of the coach.

I've had a couple folks ask me about hissing of the air suspension when the motorhome is shut off and the bags aren't dumped. It is normal to have hissing if you rock the coach by stepping on the entry step. Your weight causes the air suspension to add and release air to the air bags. A constant hiss like you had would be a leak in the system.

Glad to hear you got it fixed, and FL covered it.
Old 03-11-2005, 11:07 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Right Joe....
It was hissing and hissing and hissing. No one was in the coach or stepping on the steps.

BTW... I noticed a new toad!! What year?

Walt