Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-23-2018, 05:42 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Hanger bolt on slideout rails broke, now what?

Hi all,

I recently purchased a diesel pusher. It is a 1998 Itasca Sunflyer. Given its age, I knew I was going to have to fix a few things. While most have been minor, I have now run into a big problem.

There is a "hanger" bolt attached to the slideout rail that has snapped in two. (The other side nut was completely missing, I'm guessing this side snapped do to the extra weight.)

At any rate, I am an average welder and am thinking about just welding it back together. However, before I go that route, I wanted to see what other suggestions this community had to offer.

[I'm working on attaching a picture or video.]

Regards,

ezjamm
ezjamm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 05:55 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Video uploaded.

See this video for clarification on which bolt snapped in two.
Attached Files
Old 06-23-2018, 05:57 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Picture added.

It appears I'm not able to add video here. Can only link externally. Recommendations on external video hosting server?
Old 06-23-2018, 06:52 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezjamm View Post
It appears I'm not able to add video here. Can only link externally. Recommendations on external video hosting server?
I can see your video.
SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 08:36 PM   #5
Winnebago Watcher

Just had my 99 apart and if it is the rear bolt that attaches to the cargo bin one on each side and attached to the slide channels. It screws in, so if it is broken drill it out use a “easyout” (screw extractor)and replace with new bolt. (Winnebago part )Don’t weld it! It is very close to the hydraulic ram which may be damage plus you need to be extremely good welder for it to hold. Do it right!
Edneas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 09:39 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

I did a couple of screen grabs of from the video, in case others cannot see it. Click on the pictures to enlarge.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Hanger bolt.jpg
Views:	383
Size:	155.9 KB
ID:	169753   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hanger bolt2.jpg
Views:	296
Size:	114.7 KB
ID:	169754  

Old 06-23-2018, 11:52 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edneas View Post
Just had my 99 apart and if it is the rear bolt that attaches to the cargo bin one on each side and attached to the slide channels. It screws in, so if it is broken drill it out use a “easyout” (screw extractor)and replace with new bolt. (Winnebago part )Don’t weld it! It is very close to the hydraulic ram which may be damage plus you need to be extremely good welder for it to hold. Do it right!

Yes, there are two bolts, front and rear. However, as far as I can tell, it is not screwed in. It appears that the 6 point nut above it is one piece with threaded part. I'll look at it again tomorrow. If it is indeed screwed in, that's the route I'll take. Any idea where I can find the part number?

Regards,

ezjamm
Old 06-24-2018, 05:51 AM   #8
Winnebago Watcher

Great picture Sarah thank you. This is an easy fix the bolt does screws into the slide rail. just be sure that the flat side of the bolt is not up against the frame rail when you remove it, if it is you can pry the slide rail away from the Frame rail with the screwdriver. ( at the outer end of the rails ) just be aware of any nylon shims that may be present. I had one that came right out the other one I use a big screwdriver as a wedge. Have a good day! Ed
Old 06-24-2018, 05:54 AM   #9
Winnebago Watcher

I’ll send you some resources and part numbers later in the day when I get a chance to look them up.
Old 06-24-2018, 10:44 AM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Much appreciated. I've looked high and low here (Welcome to HWH Corporation) and here (http://www.winnebagoind.com) but I'm not sure what I am looking for.

Regards,

ezjamm
Old 06-24-2018, 06:28 PM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Bolt does not screw on. :(

I've cleaned up the bolt area and shot close up video. Unfortunately, the bolt does not screw on. The right thing to do would be to take the entire thing off and replace with correct part. However, I have a trip coming up and don't have time to do it right. I'm thinking of welding it on and redoing it properly after my trip.

Thoughts?

Here's the video:
Attached Files
Old 06-25-2018, 11:38 PM   #12
Winnebago Camper

Where can I find dual end bolt?

Edneas was correct. Easy to take off. Took me all of 3 minutes to remove. Finding a replacement however, has proven a challenge. I called 5 RV places here in Sacramento (including 2 Winnebago authorized dealers). No joy.

Since I have a trip coming up, I made a temporary one using grade 2 bolts. (Grade 5 and grade 8 do not have enough thread in them.) I know grade 2 is not what I should be using, but I could not find anything else.

Anybody know where I could find these? (I think it is a 3/8-16)

Check out the video to see what it looks like. Note that I glued the two halves together for the picture.

Regards,
Attached Files
Old 06-26-2018, 12:15 AM   #13
Winnebago Master

Will any of these work?? https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...ds=hanger+bolt
Old 06-30-2018, 08:59 AM   #14
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezjamm View Post
Hi all,

I recently purchased a diesel pusher. It is a 1998 Itasca Sunflyer. Given its age, I knew I was going to have to fix a few things. While most have been minor, I have now run into a big problem.

There is a "hanger" bolt attached to the slideout rail that has snapped in two. (The other side nut was completely missing, I'm guessing this side snapped do to the extra weight.)

At any rate, I am an average welder and am thinking about just welding it back together. However, before I go that route, I wanted to see what other suggestions this community had to offer.

[I'm working on attaching a picture or video.]

Regards,

ezjamm

YUP. Common problem. I think welding is the only cure. Make certain to isolate your DC power before welding so as not to get the welder RF into the engine and traney electronics.
Old 06-30-2018, 10:00 AM   #15
Winnebago Master

Now that you know what it is, you should call HWH. If they can't help you, I'd contact a commercial supplier like Fastenal: https://www.fastenal.com/products?term=bolts
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 04:51 PM   #16
Winnebago Owner

Just going thru that process

Winnebago Adventurer, 2000 year, 32 ft. gas.

I had a broken hanger bolt which had a few threads left so I found something for a temporary fix.

Fast forward to march 2018 left for a month long trip but developed a hydraulic fluid leak when first put the jacks down. Leak was from the forward slide out cylinder. Called HWH right away. They took my number and said I would receive a call back in about 2.5 weeks. Someone called a month later, but I was already in process of replacing cylinder.

Hang on, I'm getting to the hanger bolts. I ordered replacement bolts from HWH. Obtained the part # from Winnebago parts lists online.

The bolts turned freely in the hole in the ram, so I knew they had to come out the top thru a hole in the side of the ram (Like the one I saw in the video).

Both cylinders had to be removed to allow the bolts to come out thru the hole. The replacement bolts turned out to be as shown in the picture with threads on both ends. They were obviously the wrong ones and too short at that. So I found a grade 8 bolt that worked but it had enough threads. Otherwise would use a lesser grade bolt.

In summary, weld it if you can, otherwise it's a big job removing and reinstalling the cylinder is a big job.
Chuckmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 08:37 PM   #17
Winnebago Master

Careful about using grade 8 bolts, you want the easiest and cheapest part to break before something expensive must be replaced.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 08:52 PM   #18
Winnebago Watcher

I looked through the part book that I have for the entire vehicle and could not find that bolt. I do have a phone number this company is couple miles up the road from Winnebago plant and has been very useful to me in the past.
Mobility RV Inc. 800-933-7742. If they can’t be of assistance call the factory.
Worst case scenario take the two pieces grind the broken ends like pencil points then weld them together. The nice thing is that you will be able to wire brush them to clean metal and weld them up nicely on your workbench hopefully the welding will not interfere with the adjustment for the Storage bin.
Another suggestion would be to take the broken pieces to a machine shop and have them make you a new part. Good luck.
Old 07-02-2018, 04:32 AM   #19
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
Careful about using grade 8 bolts, you want the easiest and cheapest part to break before something expensive must be replaced.
I totally agree with that philosophy, however in this case replacing that bolt involves removing and replacing the slideout cylinder, which is not a simple and easy task.
Chuckmor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide, slideout