Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-24-2010, 08:22 PM   #21
Winnebago Master

Might be a little high, I've been quoted $3,100 for 6 Michelin 275/70 22.5 and as I understand you pay extra for the Michelin name. Some times you really don't have a choice when it comes to a RV tire replacement shop, you just have to take what's resonalby close without traveling a long distance.

Wagonmaster2
wagonmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 08:23 PM   #22
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbesdale View Post
Thanks Fellows

You convinced me. Going to put on 6 Goodyear G670rv tires. Dealer quoted 2500.00 installed and balanced. Am I getting a fair price

Bill
I just did that at Wingfoot in Cedar Rapids, IA and my bill was $2412.98 before sales tax.

1999 Chieftain 35U
RonTon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 07:49 AM   #23
Winnebago Master

It's about the normal price for that tire in our area. I just called several tire dealers looking for a pair of the same tires for the steer axle on our coach. Everyone I called gave me a price of $356.00 per tire plus mounting, balancing, and tax. Mounting and balancing (with Equal) is $50.00, and sales tax here is another 5.5%.

Be sure to ask if there are any "instant rebates". All the dealers I called said there was currently a $15.00 per tire rebate in effect.
Old 03-25-2010, 08:12 AM   #24
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron55 View Post
how long will it be until we have no choice but chinese tires?
I'll run retreads first!
I looked up the tire list and where they are made and it seems almost all tires are made in china.
ProPride P3 1400#Bars.
Campingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 09:32 AM   #25
Winnebago Owner

I had to replace one of my Michliens and the replacement Michlien was $335 plus balancing, installation and tire disposal came to $404. I would have gotten a better deal on all six tires if I had needed them. The dealer told me that his costs have gone up twice this year and that last year they didn't go up at all.
inspectorudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 11:44 PM   #26
Winnebago Camper

Not making a commercial, but I won't run anything but Michelin, on any of my vehicles. Firestone, Goodyear, Bridgestone, all good brand names, just had too much trouble with all of them. Belt separation, tread separation, belt shift. and in MHO the Michelin XRV is a much better tire than the Goodyear G670RV Smoother ride, and better tracking.
Old 03-31-2010, 05:41 AM   #27
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by wagonmaster2 View Post
Is anything less than 1 year old okay. I'm starting to look for new tires because mine are showing cracks at 6 1/2 years old so I was thinking of insisting of 6 months or less. Will that be unreasonalbe?

Wagonmaster2
When I contacted a dealer and asked about tire freshness they told me that I could expect tires that would only be a few weeks old -- probably depends on how much inventory the dealer carries (and his distributor) but more of them are using "just in time" and will actually have to order them (with a wait of a few days). I'd rather wait a week or 2 and get "fresh" ones than something 6 months old. Think about that. It is 8% of the expected life of the tire gone before you mount them. When you are paying close to $3000 for 6 it is like throwing away $240 just because the dealer has old stock.
Old 03-31-2010, 05:54 AM   #28
Winnie-Wise

With the problems with Chinese tires on trailer, I would not put Chinese tires on my lawn tractor. For the cars, I have had great success with Sumitomo and Michelin. For the motorhomes and trucks, it is either Michelin or Bridgestone (commercial highway tires).

Just think about the few $$$ you save with a cheaper tire compared to the total cost of the RV and what it is worth to not have a problem.

Ken
Old 03-31-2010, 06:46 AM   #29

I have been researching the purchase of 6 new tires for our coach before leaving for Alaska May 1st. I use 295/80R 22.5 Load H and the original tires on the coach were G670 Goodyear's. Since all Goodyear tires as of now are about a year old to start with because they have not made a new tire run in over a year, I immediately crossed them off of my list. Yesterday after months of reading and research, I finally decided to buy 6 Bridgestone R250F tires DOT coded no more than 3-4 months from Parkhouse Tire in LA for $3200 out the door. This was a $1200 savings over a set of Michelin tires. I was told by the sales counter person that Bridgestone is a "second tier" tire actually made by Michelin. I guess each major tire manufacturer such as Goodyear, Michelin, etc. have "second tier" tires sold under a different name. So, I wasn't able to justify another $1200 for a name.

All of my drive tires were coded 00 or 01. The 2 front steer tires I replaced in late 2004 after buying the coach as the original owner never had the front end aligned and both tires were cupped on each edge. The alignment has since been corrected. Those are coded 41/03 so I am taking one of those with me to have as a "spare" in case of problems somewhere in the boonies on the way up to Alaska.

FWIW......

Dr4Film ----- Richard.
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 06:54 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr4Film View Post
I was told by the sales counter person that Bridgestone is a "second tier" tire actually made by Michelin.
I guess I would be very surprised if that were the case since these are two independent companies. Bridgestone (a Japanese company) purchased Firestone and is a major supplier of truck tires. Michelin (a French company) purchased B.F. Goodrich and is also a major supplier of truck tires. Michelin and Bridgestone were fierce competitors in Formula 1 racing until about 2 years ago, so I can't really see them manufacturing product to be sold under each others' labels.

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 07:29 AM   #31
Winnie-Wise

I can hardy believe the Bridgestone and Michelin build tires for each other. You just cannot believe anything a sales person tells you.

Ken
Old 03-31-2010, 07:47 AM   #32

You guys are probably right with the brand information and I got my names mixed up as he was rattling off the various top tier brand names along with the second tier brand names.

Sorry if I caused any confusion more than my own!

I did tell him that after my trip to Alaska and back that if I have any problems with the Bridgestone tires, I will be coming back to give him a piece of my mind and 6 new Michelin tires. He remarked, "no problem".

Dr4Film ----- Richard.
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 06:38 PM   #33
Winnebago Camper

Michelin XRV

Could somebody help me locate a good RV tire shop in California, that sells the Michelin XRV tires ?

Thanks
Old 04-01-2010, 11:11 PM   #34
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKK47 View Post
Could somebody help me locate a good RV tire shop in California, that sells the Michelin XRV tires ?

Thanks
What part of Cali? North, central, or southern?
Old 04-01-2010, 11:20 PM   #35
Winnie-Wise

McLeas in Petaluma, CA sells Michelin and they service a lot of large trucks and RV's.

UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 04:49 PM   #36
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotMech View Post
What part of Cali? North, central, or southern?
I am located in Southern CA., in the greater Los Angeles area.

Thanks, Pete
Old 04-08-2010, 06:07 PM   #37
Winnebago Watcher

Goodyear G670rv

Just got my Goodyear G670rv tires installed> They are all dated week 48 year 09. I did not think that was too bad. Love the tires after a 600 mile drive both my wife and I agree that the coach rides better and has less side to side movement.
jbesdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 07:38 PM   #38
Winnebago Owner

I've been running Bridgestone R250 295/80R 22.5s on our coach for about 2 years now. First with two stearing tires than the remaining 4 a year later. They ride slightly stiffer than the Michelin, but are considerably lower in price. The pressure range on these is the same as on the original Michelins. I think you'll be happy with them.

As a side note, you couldn't give me a set of chinese tires!
robbstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 10:24 AM   #39
Winnebago Owner

I would not have considered tires made in China on any of my vehicles a couple of years ago. I went to a Toyo dealer here in California about a year and and a half ago and purchased a set of Toyo Tires for my 2002 Chevy Tracker tow behind. Now I know this is a very light duty vehicle but I thought I was buying tires made in either Japan or the USA. Guess what, they are made in China. The tires say Toyo right on the sidewalls and also made in China. I did not notice this until a month later when I was washing the car. I was not happy and told the dealer so. The dealer offered to replace the tires but assured me that anything with the Toyo name was a quality tire. Time will tell. I love these tires, the ride and the handling are better than the original Uniroyal USA made tires.
Would I put tires made in China on my motorhome? No, not yet but I think it is just a matter of time until more tire manufactures, like so many others move their plants to China.
I don't believe that Toyo would risk their excellent reputation on tires made in China if they were not very good quality. Perhaps it is not so much the fact that something is made in China, but who is making it in China.
I can remember when most things made in Japan or Korea were junk, boy has that changed.
Good luck!
millsrv is offline   Reply With Quote