Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-09-2011, 06:57 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Exhaust Brake never turned on!! WTH!

Here's the story. That might pertain to others problems with the exhaust brake
Bought a Winnebago Destination 39W with 10K about a month ago. Exhaust brake pretty much useless Came with no service records.

Anyway to establish a baseline off to Gaffney I go. Wonderful experience, 48 month maintenance, alignment, wheel balance, and check out the exhaust brake. At Gaffney after a hour of messing with the e/b they determined that the problem was a Cummins issue and set up a appointment for me with Cummins Atlantic in Spartanburg. Next morning I run over there, unhook the toad and right into the shop it goes. Real nice folks there, no messing around they were all over it. A few hours later they tell me that pre select appears not to be turned on in the Allison and I have to head there for them to look at it. I live in FL and frankly I'm freezing my rear end off, so back to home I go. While at Cummins Atlantic one of the mechanics recommended a Allison place in Ocala FL. So I call Florida Detroit Diesel - Allison. Talk to them and they say sure bring it over. They determine that the Allison preselect was turned on but not correctly. Yes!! So they work their magic with the lap top and off for a test drive we go. No joy! Now everybody is scratching there heads. Out come the schematics and the search for the TCU begins. Can't find the darn thing, we tore everything apart no box. Called Winnebago they say it is behind the panel at the shore power hook up nope it isn't there. Call Frieghtliner they say it is in the same compartment but behind a different panel. Nope not there. The labor clock is running and I'm sweating. So up in the air it goes and bingo, it is above and a bit forward of the differential and a sob to get a tool to. Anyway there are no wires attached to the terminals that the schematics indicate. Something just isn't right is the consensus. Across the street is a Cummins shop, call them and they happily send over a mechanic with a lap top and again find nothing. More head scratching one of the Allison guy's says "I was going through some old FSB's a few months ago and I think I glanced at one that mentioned something like this". So a search is on. Hmmmm, here it is says the manager.

Pay attention to this. In 2007-2008 FRIEGHTLINER put out a bulletin concerning this issue and listed about 150-200 chassis numbers that the chassis computer would not talk to the Allison TCU to activate the exhaust brake and a re flash was called for.

Did the re flash and wonder's never cease, it worked!!

So I'm happy that a solution was found. Not all that happy that it cost me a bunch of money for diagnostic labor every place I went and a few day's running around when it should have been caught and repaired at the first stop.

One of the positive things is that I found some real good Allison and Cummins shops in FL and in Spartanburg.

Hopefully this story might save others from a bunch of aggravation.
Fastcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 09:29 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

I feel for your loss of $$ but once in a while things like that do happen, at least the silver lining is that someone finally got it taken care of for you.

Thank you for sharing, as you say it just might help someone out in the future
See My RV Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 05:54 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRR View Post
I feel for your loss of $$ but once in a while things like that do happen, at least the silver lining is that someone finally got it taken care of for you.

Thank you for sharing, as you say it just might help someone out in the future
I am amazed about a couple of things.

1, The original owner ran around with it not working. Even though Freightliner says all owners were notified.

2, Freightliner didn't pick it up when I brought the exhaust brake not working to there attention. After all it was their issue and they put out the bulletin.

But it is working and I found some knowledgeable folks, which could be invaluable.

I'm also wondering if some of the problems regarding the exhaust brake which are attributed to the turbo might actually be a programing issue.
Old 12-10-2011, 06:26 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

Fastcar,
Since this was covered in a FSB, and letters most likely went out to the owners, wouldn't all that work still be covered under warranty? That model year has a 5 yeare warranty on engine and transmission.

Maybe you can recoup some of that money wit a few well placed letters, praising them for their customer service but asking for some restitution.

The worse you can get for asking would be a "no."

Happy trails.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 08:48 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne M View Post
Fastcar,
Since this was covered in a FSB, and letters most likely went out to the owners, wouldn't all that work still be covered under warranty? That model year has a 5 yeare warranty on engine and transmission.

Maybe you can recoup some of that money wit a few well placed letters, praising them for their customer service but asking for some restitution.

Happy trails.
Hi Wayne,

The warranty is 5 years for the Cummins and Allison but not Freightliner. Freightliner is the party that initiated the FSB but I'm sure they will say that they made a reasonable attempt to reach affected owners. They did, they sent out letters, why it wasn't a recall is another thing. The rub imo would be at Gaffney. They again imo, should have picked up on the FSB and didn't. They felt the problem was the turbo and referred me to Cummins for a solution. Mis diagnosis happens frequently, but darn, it was right there in their 'putor.

Maybe I'll write a letter, I don't know if the gittin' is worth the goin' at this point. I'm just real happy it is working.
Old 12-10-2011, 09:11 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

It is amazing that a cheap $10K car has better coverage through recalls and campaigns than a $200K plus motor home. I have been amazed to see how the responsibility has been split up between the coach builder, chassis builder, transmission builder, and engine builder.

If any automobile company tried to pull this junk, they would tank faster than Yugo.

It's too bad that the idiots in DC can't get their jobs done. A revision on the Magnuson-Moss warranty act could stop this.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Yellowstone Lake 6-1-2012
bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 09:28 AM   #7

I'm still trying to figure what a chassis TCU is.
Perry White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 09:48 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Send a message via Yahoo to MegaRoadie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastcar View Post
Here's the story. That might pertain to others problems with the exhaust brake
Bought a Winnebago Destination 39W with 10K about a month ago. Exhaust brake pretty much useless Came with no service records.

Anyway to establish a baseline off to Gaffney I go. Wonderful experience, 48 month maintenance, alignment, wheel balance, and check out the exhaust brake. At Gaffney after a hour of messing with the e/b they determined that the problem was a Cummins issue and set up a appointment for me with Cummins Atlantic in Spartanburg. Next morning I run over there, unhook the toad and right into the shop it goes. Real nice folks there, no messing around they were all over it. A few hours later they tell me that pre select appears not to be turned on in the Allison and I have to head there for them to look at it. I live in FL and frankly I'm freezing my rear end off, so back to home I go. While at Cummins Atlantic one of the mechanics recommended a Allison place in Ocala FL. So I call Florida Detroit Diesel - Allison. Talk to them and they say sure bring it over. They determine that the Allison preselect was turned on but not correctly. Yes!! So they work their magic with the lap top and off for a test drive we go. No joy! Now everybody is scratching there heads. Out come the schematics and the search for the TCU begins. Can't find the darn thing, we tore everything apart no box. Called Winnebago they say it is behind the panel at the shore power hook up nope it isn't there. Call Frieghtliner they say it is in the same compartment but behind a different panel. Nope not there. The labor clock is running and I'm sweating. So up in the air it goes and bingo, it is above and a bit forward of the differential and a sob to get a tool to. Anyway there are no wires attached to the terminals that the schematics indicate. Something just isn't right is the consensus. Across the street is a Cummins shop, call them and they happily send over a mechanic with a lap top and again find nothing. More head scratching one of the Allison guy's says "I was going through some old FSB's a few months ago and I think I glanced at one that mentioned something like this". So a search is on. Hmmmm, here it is says the manager.

Pay attention to this. In 2007-2008 FRIEGHTLINER put out a bulletin concerning this issue and listed about 150-200 chassis numbers that the chassis computer would not talk to the Allison TCU to activate the exhaust brake and a re flash was called for.

Did the re flash and wonder's never cease, it worked!!

So I'm happy that a solution was found. Not all that happy that it cost me a bunch of money for diagnostic labor every place I went and a few day's running around when it should have been caught and repaired at the first stop.

One of the positive things is that I found some real good Allison and Cummins shops in FL and in Spartanburg.

Hopefully this story might save others from a bunch of aggravation.
Soooooooo, tell us Florida dwellers the names and addresses of these Allison and Cummins Dealers !
Old 12-10-2011, 09:50 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Send a message via Yahoo to MegaRoadie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne M View Post
Fastcar,

Happy trails.
Worst of life's failures are those that end in NOT EVEN TRYING !!!
Old 12-10-2011, 09:58 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegaRoadie View Post
Soooooooo, tell us Florida dwellers the names and addresses of these Allison and Cummins Dealers !
At Ocala the Allison shop is right across the Street from the Cummins Coach Care.

I have used the Cummins CC shop many times and always get good service. Allison shop I have only bought filters & fluid from at reasonable prices.
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 10:16 AM   #11
Winnebago Watcher

Turbo control unit, i would guess Perry.
Old 12-10-2011, 01:52 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perry White View Post
I'm still trying to figure what a chassis TCU is.
Transmission Control Unit. It isn't a chassis item it is Allison.
Old 12-10-2011, 02:00 PM   #13
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegaRoadie View Post
Here's the Allison

Florida Detriot Diesel-Allison
224 S.W. 52Ave.
Ocala
1-888-883-7977

The manager is Steve Winstanley, he has some real sharp folks working there. They are actually mechanics, not part replacement tech's

It is located off SR 40 Just west of I-75

Somebody else posted the Cummins info.
Old 01-07-2012, 01:38 PM   #14
Winnebago Owner

Back to report that after thinking about the mis diagnosis at Gaffney and subsequent running around to Cummins then to Allison I made a call to Freigtliner.
I expressed my disappointment regarding the situation and told them that I felt that I shouldn't have to bear the expense for their error. The fellow on the phone said he agreed that since they issued the bulletin they should have caught it. So I sent in all the paper work and documentation and today received a check for the total of the various repair orders and diagnostic work performed.

Now that is standing behind your product and taking care of your customer.

Thank you Freightliner !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-07-2012, 01:57 PM   #15
Winnebago Master

Good!!
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 03:24 PM   #16
Winnebago Owner

Thank you for the update, it seems we don't get to see enough of the good ones
See My RV Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 04:03 PM   #17
Winnebago Camper

Also it's a good idea to let the exhaust brake on most the time It helps on brake pad wear and keeps the exhaust brake from seizeing up
DaveyD1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brake

« Toyo tires | Tires »