Old 05-21-2010, 02:21 PM   #29
Winnebago Master

These two questions are easy:

Quote:
Originally Posted by skooper View Post
My two questions are:

1. Do you think I did any major damage to the drivetrain …bearings, axle, etc.?[/quote

No, I seriously doubt you did, However check the wheel well for damage to plumbing, electric lines or gas lines that may pass over the tire
Yes, you did Replace it, and since all tires on the same axle should be the same age.. The other two too (or perhaps move the front tires back and put new rubber on the front)
Old 05-21-2010, 06:06 PM   #30
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
Yes, you did Replace it, and since all tires on the same axle should be the same age.. The other two too (or perhaps move the front tires back and put new rubber on the front)
It's already been done. I took the advice of the owner and employees of a reputable tire shop that many local truckers use. As I explained in my previous post, I just replaced the bad tire and kept it in the same position. They told me that 12,000 miles is not enough tread difference to worry about.

I'll let everybody know if it turns out to be a bad decision. I figured when a professional tire person is actually recommending against replacing more tires than I need, they're not only honest but makes me pay more attention to their advice. They could have very easily told me I need to replace all the rear tires at $550 apiece but they didn't.
skooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 07:43 PM   #31
Winnebago Owner

I have had good luck with all types of tires and I think most people over think them. They are not like a metal than can exceed it's limits of stretch or strain. They can certainly be damaged but not in the way many seem to think. I would have done exactly what you did and put a new tire on the dual wheel. In fact that's exactly what I did when I bought my used '05 Adventurer. It had a sidewall cut that made it unrepairable and the tire company said put a new one on it a go.
inspectorudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 08:56 PM   #32
Winnebago Owner

The tread depth gauge came in handy when determining if my front tires could be safely put in the inside dual positions. All were about five years old but some had seen steer tire duty and I presumed they saw more wear. Turned out they were all within 1/32, so there was no issue with diameter. Old inside duals were 9-10 years old
CJ7ole is offline   Reply With Quote