Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-06-2015, 09:53 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Chrome Wheels vs Stainless Steel Wheel Covers

An option on the View is Chrome Stylized Wheels. Do these provide any functional advantage over the standard stainless steel wheel covers or only esthetics?

Thanks
DLoy1324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 10:19 AM   #2
Winnie-Wise

Polished alloy wheels provide some weight savings , but sometimes those on the rear are on the outer dually only, inner is a steel wheel , and the outer, can be fractured if you happen to clip a curb when cornering.

JMHO: The alloys look great ; but not worth the extra $$$.
Old 07-06-2015, 10:27 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

DLoy1324, want come off or rattle, easy to clean, and look good. May be a little weight savings.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	chrome wheels.jpg
Views:	579
Size:	64.3 KB
ID:	99334  
grtharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 08:09 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

Chrome wheels are not the same as polished aluminum wheels. Aluminum would weigh less, but chromed steel would not. I wonder if they are really chrome? ---or polished aluminum?

In any case, I would.d always prefer a solid wheel over a tin-can cover.
Old 07-07-2015, 12:36 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLoy1324 View Post
An option on the View is Chrome Stylized Wheels. Do these provide any functional advantage over the standard stainless steel wheel covers or only esthetics?

Thanks
I looked at the web site for the View and it states that it has stainless steel wheel liners so I am not sure what you have seen.
Old 07-07-2015, 12:56 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

As much as I would love to have aluminum wheels on my coach, it seems like at least once a year we get caught in the salt and slush. Just a quick blast with the hose when we get home and my stainless covers are clean.
Old 07-08-2015, 06:46 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

For me a chromed steel wheel that is going to rust over time would be a downgrade over the stainless steel covers that will never rust.

With the stainless steel cover if the part of the bead that might be visible with the cover installed does exhibit some rust you can more easily and cost effectively clean it and touch it up with some black paint than refinish a chrome wheel.

My 2001 is 14 years old now and the original stainless steel covers are still in great shape while a chromed steel wheel would have condition issues by now and require some level of refinishing.
Old 07-09-2015, 08:21 AM   #8

My story is;;; In 1993 I bought A new Winnebago Vectra... I was not happy with the steering. I took all 6 wheels off and checked them for run out, out of round ness . they were all in the 3/16 or .185 our of round ;; now you can balance tell the cows come home , and although you can balance an egg it will never be round ... go figure;;; I put Alcoa aluminum wheels on the coach the results were unbelievable.. then ask your self why do all the long haul trucks have aluminum wheels on them..... I for one don't care about the looks of my houses foundation ,it must be the best I can put under it..... words cannot explain the difference in driving ease.... life is good
tony Bachler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 08:42 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony Bachler View Post
My story is;;; In 1993 I bought A new Winnebago Vectra... I was not happy with the steering. I took all 6 wheels off and checked them for run out, out of round ness . they were all in the 3/16 or .185 our of round ;; now you can balance tell the cows come home , and although you can balance an egg it will never be round ... go figure;;; I put Alcoa aluminum wheels on the coach the results were unbelievable.. then ask your self why do all the long haul trucks have aluminum wheels on them..... I for one don't care about the looks of my houses foundation ,it must be the best I can put under it..... words cannot explain the difference in driving ease.... life is good
I believe a major reason for long haul trucks to use Aluminum is weight savings. 18 times the weight savings can be considerable and allow more freight to be hauled which means more income to the trucker or trucking company.

RE out of round wheels. Your numbers sound high. One thing to consider and to check if you have what feels like a balance problem is to simply rotate the wheel on the hub. Many times this can "re-center" the wheel and eliminate the OOR which was actually non-concentric mounting of the tire & wheel on the hub. You can also have a tire not completely seated on the wheel. I know of cases when simply de-seating, lubing and re-seating the tire solved a ride complaint. This de-seating and re-inflating should not be attempted outside a safety cage on steel body tires or tires larger than 17.5" for safety reasons.

Machined Aluminum wheels are however probably "rounder" than their steel counterparts.

Wheel covers can make a tire & wheel become out of balance in extreme cases as can out of balance hubs and brake drums.

There is much to think about when trying to solve ride problems.

I would suggest staying away from chrome plated aluminum as once the chrome gets nicked or if not done properly you can see corrosion "shelve" under the chrome and even have air loss.
Old 07-09-2015, 03:55 PM   #10

Things to remember #1 Have all alignment work done at a truck shop.. And On a 22.5 Inch wheel aluminum Verse Steel. on a truck that Usually Pulls 70,000 LBs I'm not sure That the Wheels Would make a difference . ( It didn't when I was long hauling) If we stick to the facts we don't have to dance around, With May bees ;;
Old 07-10-2015, 06:37 PM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLoy1324 View Post

Thanks
I have a 2002 Adventurer, my stainless covers shine like the day they came from the factory. I love them.
RickeyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 02:46 PM   #12
Winnebago Camper

I have the wheel covers, easy to clean.
Old 07-14-2015, 07:55 AM   #13

I wish I could be happy with the looks of things;;; I'm more into performance and comfort .. Enjoy them you paid for them...