Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-23-2017, 03:10 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Cheap Handling Fix Question

Has anyone done the CHF on the front without lengthening the front connecting rods? Does it work if you don't lengthen them? I'm considering this for my 2016 Sunstar LX 27N but don't want to go through the hassle of getting things welded up since the closest welder is an hour away. Thanks in advance.
starcrwzr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 07:26 AM   #2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by starcrwzr View Post
Has anyone done the CHF on the front without lengthening the front connecting rods? Does it work if you don't lengthen them? I'm considering this for my 2016 Sunstar LX 27N but don't want to go through the hassle of getting things welded up since the closest welder is an hour away. Thanks in advance.
I did it for a bit with no ill effects. I did eventually go with a set of plates made by Tejay from irv2.com. They are 1/4 inch welded plates that bring the angles back to normal settings with the ability to move the link to the CHF location plus a combination of about 5 other settings. They're doing well.

Some people don't like the angle that the bar will sit without doing something to lengthen the links while others have experienced a clunking because the link bolts will touch the springs. I think it's just a matter of how yours sits when completed.
Old 11-27-2017, 05:36 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

I have a 2015 27N so think our chassis are the same other than the design change Ford made to the better transmission.

I have done CHF both front and back without changing the connecting rods. Works great. Have never experienced any clunking. Have inspected underneath and see no evidence of any new contact points when the suspension moves after the CHF. Without changing the connecting rods the angle of the connecting rod and the end of the sway bar is not as close to a right angle than before. So the increase in sway control is not quite as much as what one gets if the connecting rods are lengthened. It greatly improved the handling of my RV.

I also added a Safe-T-Steer and that makes the 27N much less steering effort to drive and provides more control if one has a steer tire blowout.
powercat_ras is offline   Reply With Quote