Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 12-12-2007, 04:13 AM   #1
Winnie-Wise

Anyone have experience with chain sets for dual tires on an Itasca 35U/W24? Recommendations?
Old 12-12-2007, 04:13 AM   #2
Winnie-Wise

Anyone have experience with chain sets for dual tires on an Itasca 35U/W24? Recommendations?
Old 12-12-2007, 04:19 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

My recommendation is if the weather is so bad that you are considering using chains, don't drive!!
Old 12-12-2007, 04:44 AM   #4
Winnie-Wise

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by FLYTYER:
My recommendation is if the weather is so bad that you are considering using chains, don't drive!! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks. Agree: "don't drive" as primary intent.

However, some states (CA) require rigs over specified weights..must carry chains to continue up Interstate...and enroute wx conditions can unpredictably change. I'm looking to cover that "emergency" change-chain condition until I can get back to non chain road surface.
Old 12-12-2007, 05:26 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

I got my chains from Les Schwab tire centers. if you go in they can probablly fit your rig. My chains go on the outside wheel of the dually only. I've used them several times and they work fine. If you do get some practice putting them on in your drive way, you don't want to do it for the first time on raining/snowy night on the side of a road with trucks splashing slush on you.....

Happy Holidays

Seattle, WA
Old 12-12-2007, 06:10 AM   #6
Winnie-Wise

Chains have come a longgggg way since I used to have to help chain up the ski bus in high school. I carry chains as is required Nov 1 to Apr 1 in Wa state but would never consider using them if at all possible. The new "self adjusting" chains work well on our fire apparatus. Drive the inside dual up on a 6x6 block and put the chain on. I have heard of something called a tire sock that I haven't seen but want to check out. Hear they work as well as chains. Would want to check with WSP to see if they are a legal alternative.
Old 12-12-2007, 06:11 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

I have purchased chains from here in the past. You don't have to chain up both sets of the rear tires, only the outside tire.

Jim

Our Webpage
Old 12-12-2007, 08:29 AM   #8

Two questions:

1. Those of you who carry chains, do you have link chains? We prefer link chains but was wondering if any of you just use cable chains.

2. Why does the California DOT illustration show putting chains on the inside duals? Does that make any sense? On buses, we always put the chains on the outside duals as some of you have said. It just seems like such a hassle to put them on the inside dual.

http://tirechain.com/images/caltrans1.jpg

Thanks!
Old 12-12-2007, 08:38 AM   #9

I think I just found the answer to my second question. This is the quotation from the California DOT website's FAQ:

Are chains required on the inside "duals" on 2-axle vehicles (trucks, buses, RVs, etc.)?

Not usually, but under severe conditions, the California Department of Transportation (Caltrans) may require chains on the inside duals if conditions warrant. (If conditions are this severe, it may be better to postpone the trip.)
Old 12-12-2007, 08:48 AM   #10
Winnie-Wise

I manned chain control points for many years in CA and never saw chains on the inside tire of duals.

Chains go on the drive axle on both sides. In other words one chain on the right and one on the left of the same axle. I.e., Honda Civics and other front wheel drive vehicles get chains on the front.

As far as chaining up my motorhome, I'll delay or cancel my trip before I have to do that. Too much damage can occur almost instantly if a cross chain breaks.

'05 Meridian 36G
Old 12-12-2007, 11:28 AM   #11

Thanks for the info, Doug.

I wonder why they show the chains being applied to the inside duals in their diagram? ...interesting.

Yeah, I realize the damage that can occur if a cross link breaks when using link chains. I also know that cables can cause quite a bit of paint damage if a cross cable breaks which is quite common.

Yup, using chains on a motorhome is a loose-loose situation.

However, is it a fact that in California as well as some other states, that vehicles over a certain weight (which most class As would fall), must carry chains whether used or not during certain times of the year (usually November 1st to April 30th)??
Old 12-12-2007, 12:30 PM   #12
Winnie-Wise

CA requires you to carry chains when the signs are open requiring chains.

Chain control in CA is as follows:

R-1 = No snow tires on vehicle; must install chains. If you have snow tires you must carry chains that fit.

R-2 = Everybody chains up except 4 X 4 equipped with snow tires. 4 X 4 must carry chains that fit.

R-3 = Everybody chains up, no exceptions.

Snow tires help everbody but if your gross vehicle weight is over 6,500 pounds you must chain up. No exceptions.

The various chain conditions are set by Caltrans, not the CHP officer manning the chain control point. He/she does not want to hear your sob story why you don't need chains, i.e., you grew up in Alaska, yada, yada, yada. He/she will not waiver and give you a permit to go on. When he does that he is accepting liability for your upcoming accident.

If you must buy chains, buy the GOOD ONES! If I had a dollar for every cable chain I saw laying along side the road I'd be dictating this to my secretary in my 2008 Prevost.

Three items you need in the chain control areas.

1. Good chains.
2. A chain repair tool to remove the broken cross links. A broken one will do thousands of dollars of damage in seconds.
3. At least two sets of slack adjusters for each chain. They're big rubber bands that take out the slack so they don't destroy your
wheel wells.

Two things to do prior to traveling into a snow area:

1. Practice putting your chains on in your dry, warm, well-lighted driveway.
2. Did I mention practice putting them on?
(HINT): The simple little hook apparatus goes on the inside of the wheel. And, there are no left hand or right hand chains;
they're interchangable.

In the snow area:

1. Put your chains on.
2. Drive slow. Chains will last longer at slow speed. You can go 100 mph with chains on, but you can't stop or turn.
3. Stay off brakes, and when you must use them, don't lock them up, pump gently but firmly.
4. Park well out of the traffic lanes to put your chains on and put them on before you're in slush.
5. Use your gas pedal as though you had a raw egg between your foot and the pedal. Don't spin the tires.

THE BEST HINT FOR SNOW DRIVING IS A FOUR LETTER WORD: SLOOOOOOOOOOOOW

'05 Meridian 36G
Old 12-12-2007, 01:52 PM   #13

Good suggestions and tips!

But does California require you to have chains inside the vehicle (posses chains) even when the signs are not up and the road is clear.

I thought I read somewhere that any vehicle over 26,000 GVWR is required to carry chains inside the vehicle from November 1st to April 1st (or something like that).

Is this true in California or any state for that matter?
Old 12-12-2007, 10:02 PM   #14

Well, as you have the same topic posted in other forums, I will post the same comments as in the other forum.

You only need/or required to install chains on the outside duals.

I dont own chains, and never will buy a set, and we drive in the snow all the time up here.
Old 12-13-2007, 02:57 AM   #15
Administrator in Memoriam

This duplicate thread was closed. To continue posting, the other thread can be located in the Workhorse forum by clicking this link.
Closed Thread