Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-05-2013, 03:18 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Brake fluid flush

2002 sightseer , plan to flush brake fluid , has anyone experienced problems, check lights etc . Thanks for all advice and tips
jimmyjnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 04:04 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

We've done it on our Adventurer at least half a dozen times without any problems. The bleeder screws are fairly substantial so you shouldn't have any problems even if they do stick a little bit. Just don't get carried away if they're really tight. If they are really tight use a little PB Blaster or other rust solvent and let them set a while.

The hardest part is probably going to be refilling the master cylinder. In ours it's close to the top of the hood opening. I have to use a pint can or smaller to get enough room to pour. Since you can't see in there well enough to know when it's filled I stick a finger in just below the top. When I feel the fluid on my finger I know it's enough to begin bleeding again.

Until you know how fast the reservoir empties I would only pump out a small amount before checking the reservoir level. If you go to low and get air in the system it's a pain to remove, and the job takes a lot longer. I believe I use about 3 quarts to make sure all the old fluid has run through.
Old 02-05-2013, 04:58 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Thanks for the advice , is there a specific fluid I should use
jimmyjnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 05:18 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Ford will obviously recommend their own brand. It might be a little more expensive than some others, but as I recall it has a little higher boiling point when wet (which is a good thing). If you change it regularly any brand name DOT4 fluid will do fine.
Old 02-07-2013, 11:17 AM   #5
Winnie-Wise

Hi Ho: Hikerdogs has it right. I find that having a couple of helpers is really important. And I have done it by myself, but don't recommend it. The trick is to not get air in the system. If you do, bleeding it is more work than changing the fluid. This means keeping the master cylinder full, which is a good job for a helper. You can also use someone to step on the brake pedal to force the fluid through the lines. I'm also sure you know that brake fluid is very corrosive, so try not to get it on things.

It sounds like you are past this, but changing brake fluid is a good idea because it is hygroscopic, i.e. it absorbs water from the air. Use only fluid that hasn't been sitting around open for the same reason. It's cheap enough that I just discard what is left over in an open can when the job is done.
dirko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 05:08 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Just curious if anyone has had it done lately at a Ford Dealer what is the cost?
Old 02-07-2013, 06:21 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by lost1 View Post
Just curious if anyone has had it done lately at a Ford Dealer what is the cost?
I had mine done at the Ford dealer in October for just over $200.
zippo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 06:29 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Speedbleeder.com has a good reputation. $7 for each bleeder ($28 plus about $6 shipping will get you set up for all 4 wheels). I don't know the Ford P/N (I'm a Chevy guy), but Whitney at [email protected] helped me get a good P/N.
tomwalt is offline   Reply With Quote