Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-23-2008, 02:01 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Getting ready for my first trip towing the toad.
Saturn Aura, full roadmaster set up. Previous owner gave me his brake buddy for my supp brake.
It is not connected to the car at all, just the power plug in the cig lighter to power up compressor. Prev owner said just plug it in and set it between the seat and brake lock in place and its good to go, inertia sets it off. I tested it and it works like he said. Is this an adequate system/set up for now or is this unsafe? Does it need to be wired into my toad or coach in some way? thanks...
capt mav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 02:01 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Getting ready for my first trip towing the toad.
Saturn Aura, full roadmaster set up. Previous owner gave me his brake buddy for my supp brake.
It is not connected to the car at all, just the power plug in the cig lighter to power up compressor. Prev owner said just plug it in and set it between the seat and brake lock in place and its good to go, inertia sets it off. I tested it and it works like he said. Is this an adequate system/set up for now or is this unsafe? Does it need to be wired into my toad or coach in some way? thanks...
Old 07-23-2008, 02:33 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

In case he didn't give you the manual also I would read and print out the following first:Brake Buddy Instructions
I have the break away switch attached from the toad to the MH that activates the BB in case of tow bar failure and a charging line from the MH to the toad to insure enough power for long trips. I consider the complete setup adequate.
Good Luck
"Philippians 4:11-13 KJV"
Rocky Larson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 03:30 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise

Not trying to hijack this thread but the OP brings to mind a question I have that is similar. If you adjust the sensitivity to the least amount on the BB and then engage your two stage exhaust brake will the BB activate with the sudden slowing of the coach?
I have always been curious about this. I know when the second stage kicks in you really can feel it so I would think the pendulum would also swing which would activate the BB?
Anyone know the answer or have any experience with this? Thanks
Moderator: if you feel this is hijacking then please feel free to start a new thread or delete. Thanks
fun time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 03:40 PM   #5
I helped | retired moderator

I keep my Brake Buddy sensitivity set on 3, and my Jake Brake (engine brake) will not active the BB with Jake Brake on the high setting.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 03:50 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Get the manual online and read it thourghly.

After you connect the BrakeBuddy to your tow and SHUT OFF THE TOW'S ENGINE, be sure to test it 5 times to bleed the vacuum from your brake system. We forgot about this step and our tow brakes skidded causing flat spots on each tires. Immagine Four new tires for a tow with 3,000 miles on it (4 square tires.)
Bob and Vicki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 03:57 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Wow, great stuff guys, thanks so much, I just read the manual. Question, will this run my battery down on my toad. (saturn Aura)And finally what is all this breakaway stuff, Im lost in the threads when folks start discussing breakaway setups, I have none?
Old 07-23-2008, 07:20 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

capt ...

I use an older brake buddy ... but the principle is the same whether new or old ...

BrakeAway:
There are two plugs (red and black on mine) that plug into the top of the brake buddy. These plugs are on the end of an electrical 2 conductor wire that is threaded through your toad from the hitch area to the cockpit. In the hitch area there is a small "switch" that has "eye" on it ... when the "eye" is pulled it closes the circuit to the brake buddy ...

There is a very small metallic (non-electrical) wire that is connected to your coach and to this "eye" ... and in case your hitch fails completely and your toad starts coasting down the highway on its own ... the metalic cable will pull the "eye" which in turn will activate the Brake Buddy .. stopping your toad.

Setting the air pressure: There is table showing what air pressure you should use based on the weight of your toad ...

Sensitivity: You will have to decide on that based on your driving habits ... I have mine set about medium because when I put the brakes on firmly I want my toad to quit pushing the coach ... so my advice is set it in the middle to begin with ...as you get more familiar with the Brake Buddy you can tweek it to your liking

Battery: The Brake Buddy has never run my battery down ... I have towed for three days (leaving the toad connected overnight) ... and never run my battery down ... I do pull two fuses on my toad to shut down some some circuits that would drain the battery if I did not (because of the position of the ignition key)
skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 10:17 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

There has been a LOT of debate about any of these braking systems on the various forums. Even though your rig may weigh well in excess of x4 the toad and you have full control, at the end of the day when standing in front of the judge facing what could be life changing charges, you are gonna have a hard time convincing the jury you did all in your power to keep your runaway toad from killing someone because you decided not to bother with the breakaway switch. I keep the Brake Buddy at 3 on the sensitivity, but the real and only reason it's in the car is to stomp on the brakes if it ever gets loose. Legally and morally I'm covered. JMO

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350
SCVJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 02:40 AM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Thanks to all this was terriffic. The previous owner gave me nothing in the way of a hook up for the break away portion of the bb. Guess its a trip to Campers World and see if they can wire it up for me. Thanks again to you all for helping me be safe.
Old 07-24-2008, 04:46 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Route 66:
I keep my Brake Buddy sensitivity set on 3, and my Jake Brake (engine brake) will not active the BB with Jake Brake on the high setting. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's also what I do, set the BB on 3, and it never activates with the exhaust brake. When set to 3 it takes a medium hard braking for it to activate.
Ready2Travel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 03:04 AM   #12
Winnebago Owner

capt Mav,
Communicate with Brake Buddy and they can give you all the information you should need to have for installing the Breakaway and even a remote activation control. You can either contact them via email or phone.
Old 07-26-2008, 03:29 AM   #13
Winnebago Owner

I found out by chance that the sensitivity setting on my system really does make a difference. I accidently left it on 9 after doing a set up and it came on with even just slight braking. My TOLD is a light CR-V and I usually set the sensitivity at 4. At that setting I've only had it activate once during heavy breaking which is just what I want it to do.

I also have a breakaway system and remote activation light indicator. It's all a PITA but comforting.
Old 07-26-2008, 04:07 AM   #14
Winnebago Owner

The brakeaway system can be purchased on ebay or at some RV dealers. Not sure if CW sells them.
Chocolate lab (Buster)
2007 Jeep Wrangler
codgerbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 04:41 AM   #15
Winnebago Watcher

IMHO the best reason for having the brakeing device is to stop the car if it should come off of the hitch. I could just imagine my car passing me on the freeway doing 60 miles an hour. Scary!
Old 07-26-2008, 08:14 AM   #16
Winnie-Wise

FYI, I called BB yesterday on another technical issue. Told the Tech that I bought my BB in 2002. He said BB is offering BB owners a "thanks for being a BB customer" deal: Send in your BB, and for $495 they will provide a new BB, ALL accessories, 5 year warranty, incl S&H. I took the deal. 800-470-2287, x8472 Frank.

Thudman

Koni FSD's, TracBar rear, SteerSafe, 50A SurgeGuard, Eternabond; 2012 Honda CRV EXL w/Nav & AWD
Thudman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 03:08 PM   #17
Winnie-Wise

I have found it helpful to place a pieces of inexpensive 1/8" clear plastic that I purchased at either Home Depot Lowes underneath the Brakebuddy. The Brakebuddy moves slightly when appling brakes and the plastic reduces friction.

'10 Phaeton 36 QSH-
SteveG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 06:13 PM   #18
Winnebago Watcher

I had trouble with mine in the Suburban moving on the floor. I placed a wooden cutting board under it and used some bungy straps to keep it from moving forward. That seems to work the best for me.
Meandering Retiree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 09:53 AM   #19
Winnebago Watcher

Capt MAV:
I second to call Brake Buddy first. They just may send you a breakaway switch or make you an even better offer. It's a free call.

2006 Newmar Dutch Star 4027
Harm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 11:22 AM   #20
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by capt mav:
Thanks to all this was terriffic. The previous owner gave me nothing in the way of a hook up for the break away portion of the bb. Guess its a trip to Campers World and see if they can wire it up for me. Thanks again to you all for helping me be safe. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>I'm not sure Camping World has any Brake Buddy specific parts, but if you look locally ad any good tow and hitch shop, they'll have what you want and probably do a better job.

If you can climb around the car and drill a few holes it's a really easy install. The biggest hassle is getting through the firewall.

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350
SCVJeff is offline   Reply With Quote