Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-27-2008, 05:33 PM   #21
Winnebago Master

On some very rough roads my brake buddy would jiggle foward and turn on the toad brake lights (just the lights not the brakes)

So I bought a long bungy cord that I fasten to the brake pedal and to a small (but sturdy) loop of rope around the headrest of my SUV toad

Works great for me ... the brake lights do not come on anymore
skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 08:21 PM   #22
Winnebago Watcher

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Georgia Flash:
IMHO the best reason for having the brakeing device is to stop the car if it should come off of the hitch. I could just imagine my car passing me on the freeway doing 60 miles an hour. Scary! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

This is exactly the type of thing I'd expect from my spirited little Mini Cooper S, (and why I've got the break-away setup on extra sensitive).
2005 Mini Cooper S
Ceratto's Grotto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 04:40 AM   #23
Winnie-Wise

The brake Buddy is designed to not only apply the brakes during a breakaway, but ALSO for added assistance during a Panic/Hard Braking situation. Your coach breaking is adequate to stop your toad in a NORMAL braking situation within the weight limit guidelines. However, during a Panic Stop it prevents the Toad from PUSHING the COACH, causing inert force to lift the rear of the coach taking weight off the rear wheels or worse case whipping around the side and taking out others. Also, when mounting the Breakaway switch mount it to the vehicle not the tow plate. I've seen where people mounted the switch to the tow plate and the tow plate welds broke. The Breakaway system didn't work because the plug was on the part that came off!
Setting the sensitivity to high could cause premature break wear and over heating of the Tow Vehicle brakes rendering them useless in time of need.
Trek-Cyclist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 08:02 AM   #24
Winnebago Watcher

Hi Trek,

If you are referring to 'my' post, I am afraid I failed miserably to impress you with my dry humor!
2005 Mini Cooper S
Ceratto's Grotto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 09:35 AM   #25
Winnie-Wise

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ceratto's Grotto:
Hi Trek,

If you are referring to 'my' post, I am afraid I failed miserably to impress you with my dry humor! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
No not at all! Just wanted to give others more information.
I took the edge off my previous reply. I hope I didn't offend anyone...
Old 08-04-2008, 10:26 AM   #26
Winnebago Camper

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Trek-Cyclist:
The brake Buddy is designed to not only apply the brakes during a breakaway, but ALSO for added assistance during a Panic/Hard Braking situation. Your coach breaking is adequate to stop your toad in a NORMAL braking situation within the weight limit guidelines. However, during a Panic Stop it prevents the Toad from PUSHING the COACH, causing inert force to lift the rear of the coach taking weight off the rear wheels or worse case whipping around the side and taking out others. Also, when mounting the Breakaway switch mount it to the vehicle not the tow plate. I've seen where people mounted the switch to the tow plate and the tow plate welds broke. The Breakaway system didn't work because the plug was on the part that came off!
Setting the sensitivity to high could cause premature break wear and over heating of the Tow Vehicle brakes rendering them useless in time of need. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Trek - have a question. I set the pressure to the range for my car (2,500#) and the sensitivity to 3. What I am not clear on is how the change occurs with the different settings, i.e., does a higher number mean more brake pressure, or just quicker activitation? In other words, do I turn to a higher or lower number to get the brakes to apply more often? Which way do I go to get the brakes apply only upon panic stop? (Not going to set it there, just want to be sure I know what I'm doing.)

Thanks for any light you can shed on this.
Old 08-04-2008, 03:08 PM   #27
Winnebago Owner

Well I hope Trek (or others) corrects me if I'm wrong but my understanding is that the higher the sensitivity (more lights) the more BB will sense MH breaking and react to it. Each time it reacts it will apply what ever pressure you have selected on the pressure regulator. Sensitivity controls how often and pressure regulator controls how hard.
Indy Itasca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 03:10 PM   #28
Winnebago Camper

The higher the setting the more often the brakes will be applied. The amount of braking will be the same, it will just be more sensitive to braking action of the coach. Setting 1 would be the least sensitivity.
Our Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 03:21 PM   #29
Winnie-Wise

Indy Itasca and Our Time has it right.
If in fact the sensitivity is at its highest you could drag the brakes going down a steep hill especially if you pump the MH Brakes to slow down... The BB has a pendulum like switch that activates the brake pressure.. In the mountains I run ours on 2 yep 2... If I'm in a high traffic area like CA highways flat land I run it at 3... Just in case I need them quicker...
Another method is to wipe your Toad rims on the front wheels before you tow. When you get to your destination check and see how much brake dust, if any, you have after a day of towing... That will tell your whether you have the right number selected for the conditions you drove.. Should be little to none unless you needed to set the Toad brake for a quick stop or two..
Have a Great Day.
Old 08-04-2008, 07:25 PM   #30
Winnebago Camper

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Another method is to wipe your Toad rims on the front wheels before you tow. When you get to your destination check and see how much brake dust, if any, you have after a day of towing... That will tell your whether you have the right number selected for the conditions you drove.. Should be little to none unless you needed to set the Toad brake for a quick stop or two..
Have a Great Day. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Good idea! Thanks!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 06:10 PM   #31
Winnebago Watcher

capt mav, for your towing situation, a breakaway control device is the law in most all states! Don't get caught without it! And it better be working properly!
igor2brvn is offline   Reply With Quote