Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Running Gear, Axles, Brakes, Wheels and Tires
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 03-03-2019, 04:54 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Bent rim. Dang dang dang. Advice?

2017 fuse 23a heading to SoCal. I 40 W Just east of Gallup nm I could not avoid a massive pothole..there are many but this one was huge. I took the next exit to see if anything had come loose and I have a ruined wheel cover and a bent rim on front passenger tire. Sunday and no tire shop or truck stop has the 16" rim. I'm at an rv park until the Ford dealer opens in the am. Have called a couple of other places with no luck. Tire is not flat or deflating...yet anyway and thus happened about 4 hours ago. Two tire guys said I sh I uld not try to push on to the next larger town, winslow az. See picture. Should I wait or should I go?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1551656105022-207896865.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	559.9 KB
ID:	171224  
highfeather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 01:19 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

I'd wait. As it is now, its a blowout waiting to happen,
Old 03-04-2019, 11:25 AM   #3
Winnie-Wise

Do you have a spare? Put it on now just to be save. Doing it now means you control the location to do the fix. In a snow storm or on a city street is not much fun. It is possible to fix that wheel but it may be cheaper to find a good used one.
Old 03-05-2019, 12:29 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Don't travel with it like that. The next bump could brake the bead from the rim and now you have to control a front tire flat safely to the side of the road.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 12:48 PM   #5
Winnie-Wise

What was the outcome? New, used, flat?
Old 03-10-2019, 04:16 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

bent rim

If you are desperate swap out a dually wheel and proceed with caution.
Old 03-10-2019, 05:07 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

From a tire guy. Get a big hammer and give it a few good wachs. Get it close and then drive to the nearest tire shop. Does not look that bad
onholdguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 05:28 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

Exactly why I carry a 4 lb hammer. But after beating it back into shape, I'd find Wifi and look for junk yards near where I was or where I was going. And then come Monday I'd limp to near one and visit trying to find a used 16". I've seen lots of 16", not quite as many as 19", and a few 22.5" at junk yards.

But, OP likely has his issue all straightened out by now. Wonder if he'll come back and let us know how it went?

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 02:53 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for all the advice and I did NOT drive further; found a great clean RV Park USA RV and spent an afternoon researching my options. The lady at USA RV gave me 4 places to call. Could not get anything productive done in Gallup, NM on a Sunday but I got lots of ideas...junk yard, bang on it with a hammer, which tire shop might have a 16", etc. I decided against the junk yard unless I was desperate and parked in front of the local Ford dealer at 7:15. Was hoping they would have a 16" but they didn't and would have taken 2 days to get one so with a little pleading they decided they could bang on it with a hammer which I was glad to let them do! It looks great and they even smoothed out the wheel cover too. $87. I drove on to SoCal and am now back a total of about 1300 miles on the reformatted rim and absolutely no problem.
Old 03-11-2019, 02:55 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

No spare is provided with this Class C...I asked when I bought it new. Winnebago doesn't want me changing tires is what I was told. Don't know where I would mount it either!
Old 03-11-2019, 06:28 PM   #11
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by highfeather View Post
Thanks for all the advice and I did NOT drive further; found a great clean RV Park USA RV and spent an afternoon researching my options. The lady at USA RV gave me 4 places to call. Could not get anything productive done in Gallup, NM on a Sunday but I got lots of ideas...junk yard, bang on it with a hammer, which tire shop might have a 16", etc. I decided against the junk yard unless I was desperate and parked in front of the local Ford dealer at 7:15. Was hoping they would have a 16" but they didn't and would have taken 2 days to get one so with a little pleading they decided they could bang on it with a hammer which I was glad to let them do! It looks great and they even smoothed out the wheel cover too. $87. I drove on to SoCal and am now back a total of about 1300 miles on the reformatted rim and absolutely no problem.
Well done! I guess I'll have to re-evaluate my attitude that a bent wheel is only fit for the junk pile.
Old 03-12-2019, 07:27 AM   #12
Winnebago Camper

I would have never thought it could be repaired but after talking to several people and seeing posts on this thread I became a believer (especially when a new one meant a two day layover!). Thanks again everyone for the input!
Old 03-12-2019, 10:01 PM   #13
Winnie-Wise

Wow! I'm shocked. I thought the rim would be toast. Good to know.
Rear Trac Bar, Safe-T-Plus, and 480 watt solar system.
Rossi6998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 06:27 AM   #14
Wheelcrazy

I would take it to an alignment shop and get the wheel alignment ( front suspension) checked. The pothole could have knocked it out and if so it could rapidly wear the front tires out.
Old 03-13-2019, 01:58 PM   #15
Winnebago Master

Generally US shops won't try to straighten a bent rim for liability reasons. Surprised you found one that did and it worked out for you. When I had a bent rim on my Class C a few years ago I found a seller in the DFW Texas metro that sold me one for 1/2 what local shops wanted to charge me. Don't remember the name but Google is you friend to find parts without paying 100 % shop markup.
powercat_ras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 02:23 PM   #16
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynadave View Post
I would take it to an alignment shop and get the wheel alignment ( front suspension) checked. The pothole could have knocked it out and if so it could rapidly wear the front tires out.
Most definitely do that!!!

And hopefully the shop that fixed the wheel also carefully inspected the tire. It seems unlikely that a hit hard enough to bend the wheel wouldn't have damaged the tire too.

Tags
advice