Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-02-2019, 03:06 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Ball Joints

When I greased the chassis of my 06 Sightseer (P32 chassis) I noticed that both upper ball joint boots are torn, needing replacement.

Since he shop has to take everything apart I decided might as well replace the lowers as well. After looking at numerous sites I ordered the ball joints from, Ultra RV Products. When I asked the sales person about the brand and origin all he could tell me that they get them from Workhorse. I went ahead and ordered them anyway along with a set of Super Steer springs.

I paid a little over $200.00 for the ball joints, shipping was free and they arrived within two days. To my surprise they were Moog ball joints and made in the USA. I guess that is as good as it is going to get. No idea yet though what the shop will charge me.

Retired "Quiet Professional". Lifetime HSUS and ASPCA member and supporter.
71_340 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 10:10 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

I had the ball joints and new springs installed and while the RV was in the shop had them flush the brake fluid and obviously bleed the system.

What a difference in handling now. I am even more impressed with the way my brakes work now. I read so many threads about the Workhorse brakes and the excessive pedal travel that I thought my brakes were normal. They are much better now with a lot less free travel.

Next things on the to do list are tires and an alignment.

Old 10-16-2019, 11:14 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Moog are a good bet and have set high standards for many years.

On the brake flushes those should be done every two years and this is especially critical with anti-lock brakes to protect the pump and control valve.

My own wife kept putting this off until I forced the issue and there was literally algae in the system from all the humidity it had absorbed. I had to remove the reservoir from the master cylinder and clean it with a algeacide and a bottle brush to get it cleaned out plus it took more than a quart of brake fluid to flush the brake system clear. Many times even when the brake fluid in the master cylinder looks good that can be deceptive as the fluid in the wheel cylinders/calipers can be dark and acidic.

Motor homes are considered to be in Severe Service so its the Severe Service Schedule that should be followed when maintaining the chassis.
Old 10-17-2019, 08:22 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

You are correct about changing the brake fluid on a biannual basis. My guess is that the brake fluid in my system was from 2006.

I am just about caught up with all overdue maintenance, repairs and upgrades. Still need an alignment and a new tires.