Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-15-2007, 03:11 PM   #1
Winnebago Master

I took my Horizon to Transwest, the local Freightliner Oasis dealer, for my M3 maintenance. I requested they balance the rear (drive) wheels. Later, I was told Transwest took my coach to a local truck tire shop to have the wheels balanced since they did not have the balancing equipment. To Transwest's and my surprise, the truck tire shop put Equal in the 4 drive wheels.

What is your opinion? Should they have used weights or is Equal satisfactory?

I have also been told that many coaches do not have their drive wheels balanced. Your opinions on this as well please.
2016 Independent Publishers Book Awards Winner
LK23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 03:11 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

I took my Horizon to Transwest, the local Freightliner Oasis dealer, for my M3 maintenance. I requested they balance the rear (drive) wheels. Later, I was told Transwest took my coach to a local truck tire shop to have the wheels balanced since they did not have the balancing equipment. To Transwest's and my surprise, the truck tire shop put Equal in the 4 drive wheels.

What is your opinion? Should they have used weights or is Equal satisfactory?

I have also been told that many coaches do not have their drive wheels balanced. Your opinions on this as well please.
2016 Independent Publishers Book Awards Winner
LK23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 03:32 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

I think you are fine. I did a bit of research on large truck tire balancing before I got my G670's. Equal rose to the top of my list and the tire shop (even though they had other balancing equipment) also recommended it.

I used Equal in all 6 tires and there has never been any hint of vibration or uneven tire wear.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 03:44 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

I have used Equal with similar success. None of the tires on my current coach have any balance method.

So, a question back to you. Can you tell a difference in the wheels. I am assuming that you had a vibration coming from the rear. If you still have the vibration check the driveshaft.

On big truck tires, they are much more likely to be mounted out of round than to be out of balance. The first solution both Michelin and Goodyear recommend for a tire reported out of balance is to deflate the tire, rotate on the rim, and reinflate.

1995 Newell, 470HP Detroit Diesel Series 60
Bikeboy57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 06:57 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

You did not indicate if they installed the special valve stem cores when they installed the Equal. The special cores have a screen built into them to insure you do not get a bead of Equal stuck in the core seal when you check tire pressures. If they did, fine. If not, have them installed.
US Gear UBS
FleetMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 02:19 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

I had equal in all my tires and still had some vibration. Had it removed and spin balanced on computer and metal weights added, to the front tires, no more vibration.
I still have it in the rear tires.
I am suposed to have the valve stems and yet it stopped up a tire guage of the type that reads and holds the reading and then you push the lever to let out the air and place the dial back on zero..
I have a letter from the President of Pressure Pro stating that equal(with valve stems) should not affect the operation of their sensors but after the tire guage thing,,I wonder..If and when I go with Pressure Pro, I think I will have the equal removed from the rear tires just to be sure. By the way,,the valve stems comes with a bag of equal. My tire dealer showed me the stem was included. He could not spin the tires.
Equal is used in the tires by weight. It comes in different ounce bags and so many ounces goes in the front and a different amount in the rear. Why? I dunno.
From what I was told, if the weight of the equal used is enough to "balance" the tires fine. If not there will be vibration.

A friend of mine used it on his Sumimoto tires and it is doing just fine..Didn't work on my G670"s.
The trick is to find a shop that has a machine that can spin 19.5/22.5 tires. I did and it
cost 15.00 per tire to break down and remove the equal and 30.00 per tire to spin balance.
Good Luck and if it works it works..Just not my luck for anything easy, to work.

Another thought in our area some Truck Tire Dealers can't spin the 19.5/22.5 tires but they can do alignment and the other way around..Crazy ,,,if they are a truck tire dealer then you would think they could do it all. I found Tire Center and in our town they could spin and allign, so they are who I will use from now on.
ichn2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 04:13 AM   #7
Winnie-Wise

What is 'equal'?

2002 Itasca Suncruiser - WH Chassis - 35U - 2006 Jeep Liberty
hamguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 04:48 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

hamguy,
look up www.imiproducts.com for information on Equal. There are other similar products on the market also, Dyna Beads is one that has been discussed on this forum.

ichin2go,
I used Equal in a truck fleet operation with good results. At that time, the different quantities of product per tire were determined by tire size. I don't remember anything about different amounts of the material based on wheel position, things may have changed.
US Gear UBS
FleetMan is offline   Reply With Quote