Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-18-2010, 06:00 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Alcoa Aluminum Wheel Issue at CW?

I'm planning to buy Goodyear G670 (275/80R16) to replace my aging Michelin XRV (255/80/R16) tires. Camping world has told me that they will no longer install tires on my 04 Journey Winnebago if it has "Alcoa Aluminum Wheels" because they are afraid of damaging or scratching the wheel. They will not budge even if I am willing to take responsibility.

Has anyone ever heard of this?
My wheels look like aluminum but there is no marking to tell me if they are Alcoa. Why would Alcoa aluminum be more subject to damage that any other aluminum?
Is this a Camping World policy or just the policy of my particular store?
Can anyone comment on this?

thanks

jim & debbie, 04 Journey 34H
jimmccreary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 06:06 PM   #2
I helped | retired moderator

Don't know about CW, but I suggest going to a truck tire shop.

They work with aluminum wheels all the time.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 06:20 PM   #3
Winnie-Wise

Sounds like they are making excuses for inept tire installers.

I'd take my business to a real tire dealer.

Ken
Old 11-18-2010, 07:55 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Agree with the others. I'd run from CW and find a good truck tire shop. They install tires on wheels nicer than the ones we have on our motorhomes all the time. I suspect your wheels are Accuride wheels but that would make no difference to any quality truck tire dealer.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 08:40 PM   #5
Winnie-Wise

Take them to a truck dealer, didn't hurt our aluminum wheels.
Old 11-18-2010, 10:06 PM   #6
Winnie-Wise

Camping World has the worst service bar none. I went to a Camping World at the request of Michlin, to have my Michlins inspected. Camping Word service said that they were unable to inspect my tires. Inspect, as in eyeball them. It is too bad that the owner of Camping World does not read or hear about their service reputation especially that he spends as much as he does promoting Camping World.
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 11:47 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Since Camping World Is One of the Sponsors of the RV Forum Site. Wouldn't You think that They would have someone Reading ALL The RV Discussion Groups and actually Respond to the Complaints that are Directed at Them!
They rarely even respond to complaints on Their Own Site!

As Far a Aluminum Wheels go there have been several People in the Last While who have had Cosmetic Damage done to Their Wheels and insisted on having them replaced by the Tire Dealers. I would suspect that this happens frequently and has simply become too much of an expense.
Old 11-19-2010, 12:17 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Thanks to all for your helpful comments and advice. will be looking for a truck tire dealer in my area.

regards,

jim & debbie, 04 Journey, 34H
Old 11-19-2010, 04:49 AM   #9
I helped | retired moderator

Quote:
Since Camping World Is One of the Sponsors of the RV Forum Site.
Just a note that Camping World is not an iRV2 sponsor.

Most businesses will not get involved with issues posted on forums as many complainers just want to rant.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 06:44 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Send a message via AIM to Oemtech
Get a different installer. I just had 6 tires installed on my MA gasser by a small local shop. While I was there my installer and the owner installed 2 font tires on a Freightliner tractor, with aluminum rims, and never remove the rim. All they used were tire irons and some tire soap that looked like grease.
Old 11-19-2010, 06:48 AM   #11
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmccreary View Post
I'm planning to buy Goodyear G670 (275/80R16) to replace my aging Michelin XRV (255/80/R16) tires. Camping world has told me that they will no longer install tires on my 04 Journey Winnebago if it has "Alcoa Aluminum Wheels" because they are afraid of damaging or scratching the wheel. They will not budge even if I am willing to take responsibility.
First of all there are several types of tire changing machines in service today. Some grip the wheel itself while others simply hold the wheel in place with a cone and put pressure only on the tire.

Those that grip the wheel are generally only used on steel wheels since they can damage or scratch the shiny surfaces of an aluminum wheel. If Camping World has one of these machines they have probably damaged a rim or two and aren't willing to take the chance it will happen again.

Aluminum wheels are expensive and rarely in stock anywhere. That means if one is damaged it'll have to be ordered. Not many people would be willing to wait a week or two to get a replacement and pay $300.00 - $700.00 each.

Most people say they "would take the responsibility" but once the damage is done the story usually changes.

Case and point: I was in the auto service business many years ago. One cold and snowy day a customers car wouldn't start. After trying several times I told him he'd have to get it towed to the garage. At that point he asked if I'd push it in with my service truck. I said no because the push bumper on my truck would probably break a tail light lens and I didn't want to pay for one if it did happen.

His response was, "it's an old car and if it does happen I'll take responsibility". Well it did happen and the first thing out of his mouth was, "now you owe me for a tail light lens". So much for taking responsibility.
Old 11-19-2010, 08:00 AM   #12
Winnebago Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmccreary View Post

Has anyone ever heard of this?
My wheels look like aluminum but there is no marking to tell me if they are Alcoa. Why would Alcoa aluminum be more subject to damage that any other aluminum?
Is this a Camping World policy or just the policy of my particular store?
Can anyone comment on this?

thanks

the problem with Alcoa wheels is the clear coat the manufacture applies to make them "maintainence free". there is polished alum wheels and Alcoa. CW doesn't want the responsiibity of possibly scratching them. break the coating and they will start looking like crap (shine starts to haze over). Only way to properly care for Alcoa wheels is with soap and water with a soft cloth...any thing else will scatch them. Polished alum can be cleaned with "almost" anything, but takes more elbow grease to maintain a shine. Alcoa wheels are usually well marked.... if you can't find a stamp or label then they are probally polished alum.
lp5151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 09:31 AM   #13
Winnebago Master

I do not recommend CW for Tires.. Like others.. There are very good Heavy Duty tire stores out there.. For example in Michigan there is Belle Tire Truck Centers (Some selected Belle Tire Auto centes also do trucks, but they have special truck stores) the Truck stores do not touch a tire less than 20 inches less it's on their own ride.

The auto stores do the smaller tires.. The Auto/Truck (The one on Enterprise Drive just off I-94 in the Taylor area (Not sure if it's taylor or not) is an Auto/Truck) do both.

In other states.. The only difference is the name of the store.
Old 11-19-2010, 10:04 AM   #14
Winnebago Owner

DO NOT use CW! Worst service and even worse management. Used the store in Little Rock, since I bought the MH from them, and it was the worst experience ever. Contacted CW HQ several times only to be handed back to the inept store management. Never again......
ROMAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 10:44 AM   #15
Winnebago Owner

FYI, I agree with the others who recommended a commercial truck shop. I put six new GRV 670 tires on my Journey this past spring and used a local Good Year truck shop. They knew what they were doing and it took about four hours start to finish.

BugSlayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 05:07 PM   #16
Winnebago Owner

Your wheels should be 22.5 not 16 inch. I doubt that cw can even replace them. I had mine replace at a tire shop and they used cardboard to protect them while changing the tires. Didn't work. I had to buff out the scratches from the rims laying on the cardboard. Next time I would make sure to wash the wheels first to remove dirt that might scratch them and then use a blanket to lay them on.
Don G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 05:08 PM   #17
Winnebago Owner

Thanks for all the useful information and advice from all of you. Its obvious to me that I need to find a qualified dealer for truck tires.

Old 11-19-2010, 08:13 PM   #18
Winnie-Wise

I have Alcoa aluminum wheels and have been through two sets of tires. Both times, I went to a professional truck tire shop. Neither time did they put the wheels on a machine --- used hand tools and breaker bars to break them down and put the new ones back on -- used some type of lubricate to aid in the mounging. None of my rims have been scratched either time. A good shop knows what they are doing and that is the only way I will go.
Old 11-20-2010, 09:52 AM   #19
Winnebago Master

One other comment... Daughter's first real car (A very nice Ponticac Grand Am) had Mag-alum wheels.. Dealer did a brake job, failed to instruct her about checking the lug nuts a few miles after takeing it off the lot (She should have come back the next day) lugs came loose, wheel came off and .. Several hundreds of dollars in body work ensued, Dealer ate the cost since it was their fault No argument (Nice dealer)

I do not know if this applies to the Alcoa rims or not.. but be sure to ask about it when you get the tires changed.
Old 11-21-2010, 08:09 PM   #20
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
One other comment... Daughter's first real car (A very nice Ponticac Grand Am) had Mag-alum wheels.. Dealer did a brake job, failed to instruct her about checking the lug nuts a few miles after takeing it off the lot (She should have come back the next day) lugs came loose, wheel came off and .. Several hundreds of dollars in body work ensued, Dealer ate the cost since it was their fault No argument (Nice dealer)

I do not know if this applies to the Alcoa rims or not.. but be sure to ask about it when you get the tires changed.
any time you remove and reinstall a wheel on any vehicle or trailer, the lugnuts require retorquing after they are run for a while. aluminum or alloy wheels are even more sensitive to this requirement.
the lugnuts on my moho require 475'# of torque. when i purchased it it was about 5 years old with <8k miles and the lugnuts had about 250-300'# of torque. i think that the wheels were never retorqued since new.
i carry a 42'' long 600'# harbor freight 3/4'' dr. torque wrench and 33mm socket and extensions for this purpose.
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L SW Wa, Hi. Good Sam, SKP. AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '14 smart car
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote