Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-08-2008, 05:24 AM   #1
Winnie-Wise

When we attempted to depart the airbags did not inflate. I called Freightliner for assistance. They made two suggestions. One, that I lower and raise the jacks as that cycling sometimes causes the airbags to inflate. Two, crawl under the MH and find the manual airbag dump and inflation switches located in front of the fuel tank and associated with the air tank. I did the simplest fix first and fortunately all four bags inflated.

We went on our trip but did not dump the air bags as I was concerned we might not be able to inflate them. Freightliner explained that the control valve may have not received voltage and that the valve might eventually have to be manually reset to inflate the bags and to allow me to drive the MH to a repair center.

Since I have dumped and inflated and have had no failure. But the episode brought to mine that I might need to be better prepared in case this happens when I am remotely located. The problem is that the two buttons are not marked and the space in that area is really tight. Not much margin for error.

First, I went to the FMCA rally in Brooksville, FL and the Freightliner representative showed me the two switches located on one of their sample chassis.

Second, I have been changing my oils depending on the MH jacks to lift the MH for easier crawler access and have not been installing jack stands are anything else that would prevent the MH from falling if the leveling jack system failed. I carry a 12 ton bottle jack so I am thinking about using that and maybe getting a second so I have a jack supporting each side of the frame.

Third, if I ever actually have to use the manual switches I'll then know which is which and mark it accordingly.

Before I put this plan in gear, I am wondering what others are doing about providing backup jack support to prevent a crushing experience?

'10 Phaeton 36 QSH-
SteveG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 05:24 AM   #2
Winnie-Wise

When we attempted to depart the airbags did not inflate. I called Freightliner for assistance. They made two suggestions. One, that I lower and raise the jacks as that cycling sometimes causes the airbags to inflate. Two, crawl under the MH and find the manual airbag dump and inflation switches located in front of the fuel tank and associated with the air tank. I did the simplest fix first and fortunately all four bags inflated.

We went on our trip but did not dump the air bags as I was concerned we might not be able to inflate them. Freightliner explained that the control valve may have not received voltage and that the valve might eventually have to be manually reset to inflate the bags and to allow me to drive the MH to a repair center.

Since I have dumped and inflated and have had no failure. But the episode brought to mine that I might need to be better prepared in case this happens when I am remotely located. The problem is that the two buttons are not marked and the space in that area is really tight. Not much margin for error.

First, I went to the FMCA rally in Brooksville, FL and the Freightliner representative showed me the two switches located on one of their sample chassis.

Second, I have been changing my oils depending on the MH jacks to lift the MH for easier crawler access and have not been installing jack stands are anything else that would prevent the MH from falling if the leveling jack system failed. I carry a 12 ton bottle jack so I am thinking about using that and maybe getting a second so I have a jack supporting each side of the frame.

Third, if I ever actually have to use the manual switches I'll then know which is which and mark it accordingly.

Before I put this plan in gear, I am wondering what others are doing about providing backup jack support to prevent a crushing experience?

'10 Phaeton 36 QSH-
Old 02-08-2008, 06:46 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Can't help; you with the jack stands but I can shed some light on the air bags.
I had a similar problem and no one seemed to be able to help. However, after reading numerous posts I fiinally figured out my problem.

I had deflated the bags in order to make it easier to work along the drip rail. This was the first time I had deflated the bags without using the jacks and therefore didn't push the store button. Once I pushed the store button the bags inflated. There apparently is an interlock that requires one to store the jacks before the bags inflate.
I had always wondered how some folks could deflate their air bags and then drive into their barn. Also, once you're parked and set up this allows you to start the engine and make use of the onboard air compressor without the coach bags inflating.
You might want to try it out and check for yourself as you may not have a problem.
Best regards.
Old 02-08-2008, 06:47 AM   #4

This happened to us once. Fortunately we were just leaving our neighborhood when it became apparent that our 40' coach was "bucking" like a steer! We pulled over and just recycled everything and the bags inflated just fine. We followed up with the tech and he said sometimes it just gets out of sequence and you have to start over again. I think we did something different that day when getting ready to go, but I don't remember what it was. Now we are careful to do everything the same way and in order, and we have never had it happen again. So my guess is that is what happened to you.
glenda1908 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 11:42 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

I didn't know that was a manual deflate/inflate button.

"Two, crawl under the MH and find the manual airbag dump and inflation switches located in front of the fuel tank and associated with the air tank."

Steve, when you do this and hit the inflate button I hope the bags are already all the way down and you don't hit the wrong button.

With my bags deflated I can't get under the coach in several areas so I am reluctant to crawl under without putting jackstands under it.

Now you have given me something else to think about, if I crawl under when the bags are inflated and accidentally hit the deflate button, I may have a problem,.
Old 02-08-2008, 03:45 PM   #6
Winnie-Wise

Lower the jacks first, then crawl under and hit the button. That way if it goes down instead of up you won't get flattened. Once the bags are pumping up, raise the jacks.
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited - Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 10:26 AM   #7
Winnie-Wise

I did a little more research and found some helpful information regarding jack stands at rv.net.

6 tons = 2000# x 6 = 12,000# 12 tons = 2,000# x 12 = 24,000#

My 36G Journey's ratings in pounds:
Rated front: RF =4,805; LF = 4,805; total axle 10,410
Rated rear duals: RR = 4410, 4410; LR = 4410, 4410; total axle = 17,500

Indiviual tire weights:
Weighed front: RF =3,900; LF = 4,250; total axle 8,150
Weighed rear duals: RR = 7,900; LR = 7,750; total axle = 15,650

I don't think I need 4 jack stands as I'am only working under one end at a time. But to have the correct jack stand safety margin for the four corners would require two 6 ton jacks for the front and two 12 ton jacks for the rear.

Their bulk and weight (31+31+68+68 = 198#) would prohibit my carrying them around in the MH so they would only be used when I am working on the MH locally. Some are purchasing them at Harbor Freight for 6 ton at $28.99 and 12 ton at $69.99 / pair.

'10 Phaeton 36 QSH-
Old 02-10-2008, 01:49 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Harbor Freight Jack Stands
Be carefull when buying these, everything on the box MAY say 12 ton, 6 ton or 3 ton, but the actual rating is true ONLY when used in pairs. Thisis from the info/spec sheet in the box.
I have 2 sets & they are HEAVY, but they will never leave my garage.
Old 02-10-2008, 01:59 PM   #9
I helped | retired moderator

Crawling under a MH that is only supported by one method can be fatal.

Bob Gregory was leveling his MH when a hydraulic line burst, and the MH dropped like a rock.

The HWH techs stated they would never go under a MH without 2 means of support.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote