Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-24-2006, 10:17 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

While in Forest City a couple of months ago I discovered one of my hub caps missing off an Accuride wheel. I asked to have it replaced and $100 later it looks like new.

hub cap It is the part of the wheel with the word, "Freightliner" on it.

I found they can come loose on their own. Another lesson learned. I check them for tightness regularly now.

Annapolis, MD
JamesOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 10:17 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

While in Forest City a couple of months ago I discovered one of my hub caps missing off an Accuride wheel. I asked to have it replaced and $100 later it looks like new.

hub cap It is the part of the wheel with the word, "Freightliner" on it.

I found they can come loose on their own. Another lesson learned. I check them for tightness regularly now.

Annapolis, MD
Old 04-24-2006, 10:56 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

How do you tighten them if they are loose? Do you have to remove the tire?

2004 Journey 32T
MNGolfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 11:40 AM   #4
Winnie-Wise

The front hub caps snap into the inside of the aluminum wheel rim. The stainless steel cap uses spring steel retainer clips that wedge in. Whenever you pry one off to check the front axle gear lube check thosde clips do make sure they aren't cracked. It's better to buy new clips than a whole new hubcap.
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited - Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 11:41 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

I'm assuming your talking rear hubcap. There is a tool to tighten them. I just carefully use an oil filter wrench.

Just remember that the drivers side hubcap has a left hand thread.
3huskies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 12:04 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I'm assuming you talking rear hubcap. There is a tool to tighten them. I just carefully use an oil filter wrench.

Just remember that the drivers side hubcap has a left hand thread. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

This sounds right from what I remember at the factory. But we covered a lot at the end of a long day and I must admit this part didn't get much of my attention except for checking them periodically. Sorry.

Annapolis, MD
Old 04-24-2006, 02:11 PM   #7
Winnie-Wise

I lost my rr hubcap, too. I think I remember Freightliner telling me that the lefthand threat goes on the right side and the right hand thread goes on the left.

Anyway the mounting brackets on mine were on the wrong sides. Call F'liner and make sure.

I'd go out and look at mine but its not here at the house.

Doug

'05 Meridian 36G
CHIPPYSGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 01:50 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Left side...Left Hand Thread
Right Side ..Right Hand Thread
Old 04-25-2006, 03:57 AM   #9
Winnie-Wise

3 Huskies is correct, left on left, right on right per Freightliner. I just called them.

Doug

'05 Meridian 36G
CHIPPYSGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 04:26 AM   #10
Winnie-Wise

The fronts snap in. Those I could see losing. The rears are held on by that large Freightliner hex nut with the really long threaded rod. That would take a whole lot of spinning for that to fall off. I bought a nylon wrench to remove the spin-off nuts. I found out about it in the Freightliner Chassis Owner's Club newsletter sometime last year. It's a safe way to remove them without marring the flats. It sure beats a large channel lock pliers with a rag. It even has a sticker on it reminding you that the left side is left hand thread.
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited - Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 04:29 AM   #11
Winnebago Master

Cruzer, I got the same tool and it is nifty. Makes it very easy to remove those big caps when polishing the wheels.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 08:11 AM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Wrench info and picture here:

http://www.discoveryowners.com/donwrench.htm
Old 04-26-2006, 02:41 AM   #13
Winnebago Camper

I used the handle with rubber strap thingy tool but I think I'll get the nylon wrench. Now I know why I couldn't get the left side off - it's left hand thread.
TOM A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 12:05 PM   #14
Winnebago Master

Hard to believe but my left rear nut and cap fell off today at 45 mph! I heard a clanging noise and just saw both the cap and nut heading to the side of the road. Found a place nearly 1/4 mile down the road to pull off...walked back but could not find either in the weeds and beer cans.

Called FL dealer in Richmond, VA (where we now are) and hub cap is $60 and FL logo nut is $35. Not sure why this happened since I checked nut tightness before we left.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 12:20 PM   #15
Winnebago Owner

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Hard to believe but my left rear nut and cap fell off today at 45 mph! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

What a bummer. I am beginning to wonder if there is a way that the hubs could be put on the wrong side. I guess I need to loosen mine and see if the threads are as described in the posts above.

BTW, the factory charged me 1/4 hour labor to install my new hub cap. I'm not complaining, just pointing out how my bill came to over $100.

Annapolis, MD