Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-24-2009, 07:15 AM   #21
Winnebago Master

Thank You for the photos.

Jim

Our Webpage
jimandsue60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 04:53 PM   #22
Winnie-Wise

Hi Jim, Missed you this year.
Yes, you can run all three with generator or 50 amp. One thing not mentioned so far is that the CCC (loading capacity) is an awesome 9,800 lbs. (More than double the current models?)
Also, it has a 55 degree turning radius and the wheel base is another 5 inches longer. The rear tire "lifts up" on turns so there is no dragging. I want it; I want it.
>> Dennis
dengraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 08:14 PM   #23
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by dengraham View Post
Hi Jim, Missed you this year.
Yes, you can run all three with generator or 50 amp. One thing not mentioned so far is that the CCC (loading capacity) is an awesome 9,800 lbs. (More than double the current models?)
Also, it has a 55 degree turning radius and the wheel base is another 5 inches longer. The rear tire "lifts up" on turns so there is no dragging. I want it; I want it.
>> Dennis
I was told that the tag could not be lifted but there was a switch on the dash for dumping the air to the tag. Tags are great for carrying capacity and straight line stability.
Jerry J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 09:51 PM   #24
MrG
Winnebago Camper

Location: at exit 308 on I-65 between Huntsville and Birmingham
Can anyone get a retail price list published for Phaeton tag and Fleetwood tag so we can compare pricing. I have a 42AD one. JG
Old 07-26-2009, 10:12 AM   #25
Winnebago Master

That steering wheel looks as bad as someone "texting" on the cell phone. Wow!
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 11:56 AM   #26
Winnie-Wise

I know what you mean.
Later I thought I like the way the radio is mounted on the bottom of the wheel like that and not the velcro remote mounted somewhere on the wheel. I took mine off the upper right of the wheel and I think I will put it back on the bottom of the wheel. I find I don't usually put my hands down there. Still the radio on the dash is a short reach. After thinking about it, I like the new wheel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne M View Post
That steering wheel looks as bad as someone "texting" on the cell phone. Wow!
Jerry J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 05:42 PM   #27
Winnebago Camper

Does anyone have any pricing on this coach? It's very interesting to see them come out with this coach. I believe they are a little behind the times in the market with it. I had a conversation, two seasons ago, with a Winnie Rep and was flat-out told they would never build anything bigger than 40'.......Go Figure!

They are going to be eaten up by the competition ! JM2CW !
Raca-roni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 06:32 PM   #28

Price is $330,000 and this surprised me. Thought it would list higher considering what our 08 Vectra was listed for.
glenda1908 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 10:42 PM   #29
Winnebago Camper

I think they are way off with this coach in the market. The price is tooooo high for what you get. There are competitive coaches that will eat them up! Fleetwood, Newmar and Tiffin for a few......
Old 07-29-2009, 07:00 AM   #30
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raca-roni View Post
I think they are way off with this coach in the market. The price is tooooo high for what you get. There are competitive coaches that will eat them up! Fleetwood, Newmar and Tiffin for a few......
Opinions... you know what they say about 'em.

I seriously doubt that you know more than Winnebago's market research people. Their new 42 tag-axle coach, with a 330k list price, has a LOT going for it, that is not available from anyone else. A new roof system with 6.5" of insulation, along with a new approach to insulating the entire coach, makes it so quiet inside (while driving), you cannot hear anything. It has over 9000 lb carrying capacity, a 15,000 lb towing capacity, a 10,000 watt diesel gen, just to name a few.

Did you see and drive it at GNR? So where did you get your conclusive information about it?
Indian River, De
CaptBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 10:54 AM   #31

Capt. Bill,

RIGHT ON
Old 07-29-2009, 11:39 AM   #32
MrG
Winnebago Camper

Also includes Aqua Hot and a 400hp Cummins ISL, not 360 Cummins ISC engine
Old 07-29-2009, 11:42 AM   #33
MrG
Winnebago Camper

How about HWH leveling system as standard, 150 gal fuel tank as standard.
Old 07-29-2009, 12:44 PM   #34
I helped | retired moderator

Just a friendly reminder folks.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion........popular or not.

From our rules;

Quote:
Do not engage in personal attacks. Challenge others' points of view and opinions, but do so respectfully and thoughtfully. Sarcasm, belligerence, insults, profanity, extreme anger, offensive comments about race, gender, sexual orientation, religion, national origin, and political views, are not acceptable.
Thanks.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 01:41 PM   #35
Winnebago Camper

Gentlemen,
I'm not trying to rain on anyone's prade, but look into what other mfr's have to offer in this class of coach. For example, the Tiffin Phaeton is the number one selling diesel coach in the industry. Their 42' coach lists out, loaded, for under $300k......It has more options than Winnie offers and some are standard.

I've owned five coaches over a 15 year period. I've done my homework prior to every coach buy. Many comparison checkouts.....were extensive. I know what's out there. I've owned four diesel pushers and two were 43' coaches with tag axles. I'm just voicing my opinion. As I said earlier. Why did Winnie wait so long to do this? The competition has been building that size coach for years and been very successful at selling them......

P.S. I apologize if I fuffled anyone's feathers..........
Old 08-01-2009, 07:57 AM   #36

Quote:
Gentlemen,
I'm not trying to rain on anyone's prade, but look into what other mfr's have to offer in this class of coach. For example, the Tiffin Phaeton is the number one selling diesel coach in the industry. Their 42' coach lists out, loaded, for under $300k......It has more options than Winnie offers and some are standard.

I've owned five coaches over a 15 year period. I've done my homework prior to every coach buy. Many comparison checkouts.....were extensive. I know what's out there. I've owned four diesel pushers and two were 43' coaches with tag axles. I'm just voicing my opinion. As I said earlier. Why did Winnie wait so long to do this? The competition has been building that size coach for years and been very successful at selling them......

P.S. I apologize if I fuffled anyone's feathers..........

I wish I had the knowledge to compare the two coaches and all their "whistles and bells". I am sure someone out there smarter than me can do that. However, that being said, I know that Winnebago makes a great coach...we have also had 5 in the past 12 years...both gas and diesel. The other question you ask is why did Winnie wait so long to offer this size coach? I don't know why you care if it was this year, last year, or 5 years ago. Winnebago has made good decisions in their product line in the past which is why they are still in business, so I will defer to their decision to wait until this year to introduce the tag. I saw it and it is a real beauty. It has some great features along with some new inovations. It seems that it is very troubleing to you that the cost is higher than other brands at that size. Why does that bother you unless you are considering buying one? When we decided to change over to the DP level of coach, there were less expensive ones out there, but we were very satisfied with the Winnebago product and stayed with them. You chose the coach you are in for whatever reasons..style, cost, options, etc. We did the same and it came out Winnebago. No feathers ruffled here!
Old 08-01-2009, 09:06 AM   #37
Winnebago Owner

I've owned RVs for over 30 years, the last two being motor homes to full time in. I also do extensive homework before buying, as I do with any major purchase. We can only speculate why Winnie waited to bring out the tag until now. My decision to buy Winne first a gas and now my DP was reinforced twice by venders over the last year.

I bought a fire supression system for the engine compartment. The alarm system was not ready so the vendor brought it to an FMCA rally and installed it for me. His first words when he lifted the bed to access the extinguisher in the engine compartment were amazement at the substantial steel decking covering the engine. He stated he had worked on most others and has never seen so good of a covering. He went on to say some use wood there .

Several months ago I purchesed the Onan 30W gen auto start. The Onan guys installed it at a rally so when I began having problems with it I thought it must be the unit and not an installation issue. The unit would keep going back and forth into the "establishing communications" mode and every week or so lock up. Onan could not figure out the problem but we mutually decided to have them look at it at GNR. By the time GNR got here they discovered the problem. It is a problem they are having with Winnes. Winnebago puts, in thier words "so much steel" in the cab/firewall area the signals are not getting through. They have a fix for it now.

Yes, the bells and whistles are nice to have. There are some things I would not be without but knowing what Winnebago puts into the things we can't see will have me buying one every time. I did look at other manufacturer processes in the past which is what led me to Winne in the first place.

Like Glenda said, no feathers ruffled. We each buy for our own reasons and our own price point.
Numbers 6:24-26
Olive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 12:49 PM   #38
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Gentlemen,
I'm not trying to rain on anyone's prade, but look into what other mfr's have to offer in this class of coach. For example, the Tiffin Phaeton is the number one selling diesel coach in the industry. Their 42' coach lists out, loaded, for under $300k................
The Phaeton is not in the same class though. It does not have Hydro hot. It does not have a 400HP ISL. No 15,000lb hitch. No 150gal fuel tank. Optional HWH jacks. Still has luaun backed fiberglass outer skin. I think the comparison should be with the Allegro Bus.
forest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 06:34 PM   #39
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by forest View Post
The Phaeton is not in the same class though. It does not have Hydro hot. It does not have a 400HP ISL. No 15,000lb hitch. No 150gal fuel tank. Optional HWH jacks. Still has luaun backed fiberglass outer skin. I think the comparison should be with the Allegro Bus.
You are correct. We looked hard a Tiffen a couple times, and there are things that are important to us, that keep us from buying one.

The Phaeton also does not have a Smart Energy Management System; (nor is it an option in ANY Tiffen). Standard equipment on Winnebago. If we are staying in a CG with only 30A power, the EMS takes care of all load-shedding, on a priority basis, so that you can ignore the fact that the microwave is running, the DW just started the hair dryer, and it just happens that the water heater and/or air conditioner kicked on. No tripped breakers at the pedestal. EMS is awesome. Personally I would not be with out it.

The Phaeton also just has vinyl-wrapped cabinet frames and trim; no finished wood frames in Phaeton. The Winnebago cabinets, frames, trim... all of it, are not vinyl-wrap. The woods and finishes are hi-Q, and look like they came from an Americal Eagle.

Winnebago motorhomes all have a steel driver-passenger roll-cage, for protection in a rollover accident. And the windshields are bedded into a steel frame, just like the automotive industry. No big rubber gasket holding in the windshield like most other manufacturers.

Winnebago labels all wiring in the coach, individually numbered every six inches like the aircraft industry, and provides (free) wiring diagrams, (and plumbing and heating), to the owners.

There are others that cost less, and may have more chrome and glass, but this is our 3rd consecutive Winnebago, and I would buy another.
Indian River, De
CaptBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 08:25 PM   #40
Winnebago Camper

Folks,
You really do know your products and competitors products........

I used the Phaeton as a comp because it has a Freightliner chassis with a straight axle and a rear radiator setup. Similar to the Winnie 42' coach.

Winnebago does build a very good quality coach. It's as some one already mentioned. It all comes down to personal preference......

It was a pleasure discussing views with you all......THANK YOU !