Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-10-2011, 05:36 AM   #21
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve R View Post
I have a 2007 Winnebago 35 J on a Workhorse chassis I took mine to the cat scale to have it weighed, The propane and fuel tanks were full the water tank was empty. My steering axle was 6500 lb and my drive axle was 11740 lb for a grand total of 18240 lb. I have Michelin 245/70 19.5 XRV i run 85 psi in all the tires and that includes a big fudge factor for extra weight. My coach handles much better after adjusting the psi for my weight. I used a load and inflation chart on Michelin's web site
Thanks! Going to be weighing in a few hours. I'm confused though. The Goodyear chart shows weight's in the 3000's.(3640-4335). Do you divide your axle weight by the number of tires on that axle to get the weight on the tire? (I know it would be better to get a 4 point weigh but that is not possible anytime soon.)
Old 01-10-2011, 11:33 AM   #22
Winnebago Camper

Yes you divide the weight by the number of tire on the axle. I could have lowered the psi on the rear tires but left it a little bit high for extra weight.
steve R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 11:45 AM   #23
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belgique View Post
Thanks much for the great info! If you have a second, describe how one weighs on a CAT scale at a truck stop. Do you go in first and tell them or what? Presume it would be 2 passes get get the front and rear separately.
It can be a bit intimidating. I will fuel up first and when I go inside to pay, I'll talk to the guy about getting weighed because I can never understand what they're saying through those squawk boxes at the scales. You won't need two passes to get front and rear since the scale is segmented but you won't be able to get four corner weights in all probability. They'll give you a print out showing the weight of your steer axel and your drive axel. About $8 and you're on your way.

Best of luck to you.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 02:35 PM   #24
Winnie-Wise

Cats are safe

Thanks to all for your inputs. They certainly helped me and maybe they will be of use to others down the road.

The cats are safe! Did the deed today at CAT scales at a Flying J: Front= 6700; Drive= 13240. Had a full black tank; 1/2 full grey; 35 gal of fuel; and 1/4 tank of water. So, I'm very happy and surprised especially since we are loaded for snow birding in Key West and I normally run with holding tanks empty. So, at 19, 940 I'm under my gross of 20500 in the worst of conditions. The scale procedure was as one of descibed except this one had segmented sections so I did it all at once. She asked for my Company name and I responded "RV, name is Johnson". She said I have your weight come on in and get the printout...$9. No way to get 4 corners since you can't maneuver off the scale. If I read the Goodyear PDF right, I could run less than 80# in the tires but that is not wise I think. I'm going to call them.

Anyway, this was a huge surprise because I was sure I was over weight. I am now convinced that the encounter with the round barriers is what killed my tire. These were big and the reaction was violent on that tire (I cut too quick). That coupled with the fact that blowout came about 30 miles later convinces me...my tire guy too.
Old 01-11-2011, 07:06 AM   #25
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belgique View Post
Anyway, this was a huge surprise because I was sure I was over weight.
Told ya.

My scale print out from my '09 trip turned up this week as I was cleaning out some stuff. At the time I was 6540 + 13640 = 20180. That was with 8 people on board and packed to the gills for a 3-week trip.