Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-05-2019, 10:48 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

2020 Micro Minnie brakes question

When I went to pickup our new trailer, I went to test that the trailer brakes were functioning like I usually did with my previous trailers...I'd put my truck in gear and let it idle forward and fully engage only the trailer brakes using my brake controller...performing a "tug test". Well on all my previous trailers, this procedure would either lockup or almost lockup the trailer brakes, easily letting me know that the brakes were functioning. On this new trailer, this test almost is undetectable...no lockup, only a very faint indication that the trailer brakes are working. I got the tech to come and examine the brakes and he said they were functioning normally, the design is suppose to NOT lockup or hard brake even if you engage the brake control fully like I did to try and tug test the unit. I could hear the brakes engaging, but again, just strange that I could not perform a tug test, only feeling very light braking. The only thing the tech did was adjust the brake shoes as they were a little backed off, but this made no difference to the tug test procedure I use.
Not being used to this, I find it strange and I liked being able to tug test my old trailers...so is this really a correctly functioning brake system these days on new trailers?
RACKMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 01:18 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Sounds like you need to increase the force level on your brake controller.
blueridge-fl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 05:29 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueridge-fl View Post
Sounds like you need to increase the force level on your brake controller.
Ummm...no. I know how to use a brake controller. Plus no issues with exact same truck and brake controller as used with my previous trailers. Tried at all settings, including highest setting.
RACKMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 08:48 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Way undersized wire in the brake circuit, or a poor connection, either at the back bumper or in the trailer somewhere.

Charles
Old 08-18-2019, 04:40 PM   #5
Dives2Little

When we bought our last trailer (new 2017 Northpoint 387RDFS), I thought the brakes were disconnected. I discovered that they don't really set them at the factory, which seemed odd, however, we spent some interstate time and I would use the brake controller to trigger the brakes; 5 or six times, lightly, in short bursts for about 300 miles, since the Northpoint had forward adjusting brakes. By the time we finished the day, we had adequate brakes, without the pickup helping!
Dives2little is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 06:17 PM   #6
Winnebago Watcher

Hi Rackman: We just picked up a 2020 Micro Minnie 2106 and have the same issue. Set the brake control to max and very soft breaking at max voltage. Was told that the shoes may need to break in or that they put a coating on drums that prevents rust until delivered. Not sure but going to try using brakes and if they do not improve, back to the dealer.
gmosskvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2020, 03:17 PM   #7
Winnebago Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmosskvr View Post
Hi Rackman: We just picked up a 2020 Micro Minnie 2106 and have the same issue. Set the brake control to max and very soft breaking at max voltage. Was told that the shoes may need to break in or that they put a coating on drums that prevents rust until delivered. Not sure but going to try using brakes and if they do not improve, back to the dealer.
Did that work for you? Driving it around a bit? I just picked up a 2108 and it is the same braking situation.
Alisia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2020, 09:07 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

The brakes take a while to get adjusted.

Tags
brake, brakes