Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-14-2006, 07:27 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Ok well I looked at the dates on my tires and they are 11 year old Michelins and still knee deep in thread! Not many side wall cracks but yes a few on a couple.
I need some resonable priced replacements tires, dont have to be the same brand as the old.
Yea I guess tire size would help a little.

235-85 R 16
Load range E
Anyone have any suggestions for some reasonabley priced tires let me know?

DFW, Texas
Dougmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 07:27 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Ok well I looked at the dates on my tires and they are 11 year old Michelins and still knee deep in thread! Not many side wall cracks but yes a few on a couple.
I need some resonable priced replacements tires, dont have to be the same brand as the old.

235-85 R 16
Load range E
Anyone have any suggestions for some reasonabley priced tires let me know?

DFW, Texas
Old 02-14-2006, 08:17 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Is there still any air in those old tires? I hope you don't travel with any loved ones before you replace them. You don't say what size they are, but I think "reasonable priced replacements tires" is a real oxymoron. I paid just under $200 a tire plus junk fees and taxes (including mounting, balancing, and installing) last summer for Michelin XPS RIB LT 235/85R16 LRE's just outside Atlanta. I haven't had to buy a really big tire yet.

Hey Look !! I hit "Senior Member". A tribute to longevity, if not good advice.
Old 02-14-2006, 08:29 AM   #4
Winnie-Wise

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I hit "Senior Member". A tribute to longevity, if not good advice. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ken, That's a
Old 02-14-2006, 10:47 AM   #5
Administrator Emeritus

Call it what you may Ken....staying power?

Congrats!!
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 11:25 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dougmyers:

235-85 R 16
Load range E
Anyone have any suggestions for some reasonabley priced tires let me know? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Doug,

I didn't catch what vehicle these are for but they are from $97 to $208 each at the local Sam's Club.

Regards,

Neil
Old 02-15-2006, 01:33 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

Considering that your current Michelins have gone 11 years I certainly would buy the same tire if possible. You just did an 11 year tire test.
Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2006, 04:47 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Tom N:
Considering that your current Michelins have gone 11 years I certainly would buy the same tire if possible. You just did an 11 year tire test. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
======================================

That would be true if I thought I would keep it a long time, but it is a 1990 Winne and I hope to get a newer Pusher Diesel in the next year or two.

DFW, Texas
Old 02-15-2006, 04:58 PM   #9
Administrator Emeritus

Doug,this may not be the answer you're looking or hoping for but if I'm putting myself and my loved ones in that coach and going down the highways and byways,I'm going to spend money on tires.
Also,in the long run,IMHO anyway,the tires would then be a selling point rather than a negotiating point.
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2006, 05:20 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

I don't believe that you could not know that the recommended replacement for RV tires is around 6 years old for safety sake. If you conssider using the coach at all for the next 1-2 years GET NEW TIRES.

If you have ever seen the damage a blown tire does to the RV alone, it would make you replace the tires.
Old 02-17-2006, 06:01 AM   #11
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> I don't believe that you could not know that the recommended replacement for RV tires is around 6 years old for safety sake. If you conssider using the coach at all for the next 1-2 years GET NEW TIRES. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I can believe it.

Most folks that I have spoken with feel that if there is good tread on the tire and it has no cracks it is good to go. Rv dealers point out to customers how much tread is remaining. They never mention that the tires are the original tires on a 10 year old RV. Check the many RV ads on eBay and you'll see many closeup photos of the tire thread but I have never seen a mention of the manufacture date on the tire.

Tom
Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2006, 06:45 AM   #12
Winnebago Owner

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DSouthw524:
I don't believe that you could not know that the recommended replacement for RV tires is around 6 years old for safety sake. If you conssider using the coach at all for the next 1-2 years GET NEW TIRES.

If you have ever seen the damage a blown tire does to the RV alone, it would make you replace the tires. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
================================
To be honest I did not know tires had a time limit until I got on this board and found it.

The fact is I have only had this Winne about a year, and when I looked at it the tires looked great. After my research on here and checking the date on the tire I figured out how old they are.
My Family is very Dear to me thats why I am going to get new tires before the Winne takes any more trips.
By the way I look at tires yesterday at Sams Club, the BF Goodrich tires look very good to me and at $110.00 each thats not a bad deal compaired the brand on it now.
Also the tire sales man told me that Michelin had bought BF Goodrich about two years back and it is the same tire but 50 Dollars a tire cheaper.
I dont know if he is telling the truth but thats not the first time I have heard that.

DFW, Texas
Old 02-22-2006, 08:57 PM   #13
Winnebago Owner

Ok got new tires on the old Winne all the way around and the spare tire also.
Put on some Yokohama Geolandar HT-S at Discount tire with new tire replacement insurance on all 7 for just under $1000.
Tire guys said this is a tire a lot of tractor trailors use now, not my size tires but this brand. And they load range E they said.

Anyway I feel better now about the shoes on the old Winne!

DFW, Texas