Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-21-2017, 11:27 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

For Sale: Cummins Onan Diesel Generator QD3200 3.2kW

Bought an RV in January that came with it but I don't have a use for it. It has about 1hr of runtime so pretty much new.

It has mounting brackets, exhaust pipe, wiring cables, etc. Everything goes with it.

$4500 OBO, Local pickup only Sacramento/Bay Area
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2106.jpg
Views:	581
Size:	252.5 KB
ID:	169050   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2107.jpg
Views:	729
Size:	298.4 KB
ID:	169051  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2108.jpg
Views:	440
Size:	98.8 KB
ID:	169052  
fourgonbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 12:12 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

Removing it from your View/Navion will decrease the value of your motorhome by 20-30% or more. Just because you don't think you are going to use it, the next owner will want it.

Ever done any travel in really hot weather? While you might stay comfy in the cab, the rest of the coach is going to heat up past tolerable. You can run the A/C on your generator to keep it reasonable while you travel. Ever have the power fail at your home, your generator can at least keep your frig running and your food fresh. And so on...
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 10:44 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

20-30% really? When one can just buy a new one and put it in for like $7K probably?

I upgraded my batteries to LiFePO3 so I can run the AC on the inverter (3kW) now for like a couple of hours if needed, more if I leave the engine idle. And I figured if I really need a generator, I'll buy a small honda one to run the AC.
Old 09-24-2017, 06:42 PM   #4
2010 Winnebago Via 25r

Diesel gen remove

I would leave it where it is. Exercise it every so often I would never buy a coach in any condition if it had been removed. I have the same generator in my Via and it is great. Good to always know it is there for a backup
Mbarton557 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 09:20 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Usually new for $6500:
https://www.amazon.com/3-2KW-Cummins.../dp/B00DIM6R04
Old 10-01-2017, 05:43 AM   #6
Winnie-Wise

You may not think you need a generator but if you ever decide to take some adventures then you will certainly need it.

I'm in Labrador City, Canada now. There are no hookups. Dry camping for over 2 weeks including the trip up. There are below freezing nights.

LP is around $2/L and diesel is $1.34/L. I obviously use the gen (diesel) when I can for heat (ceramic heater) and the LP for the furnace to keep the water lines from freezing and a light bulb in the wet bay to keep it above freeze for those colder nights.

As previous poster noted the same goes if you travel to a warmer place and you need AC.

My solar keeps the batteries well for normal use but not enough for heat or AC.
Old 10-01-2017, 12:45 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

To the OP:

Your excellent onboard generator provides backup, options, choices, and a Plan B or C when situations arise that you cannot predict will happen or cannot control if they do happen.

Here's some RV circumstances where your generator can be priceless:

1. A heat wave that sticks around longer than expected when you're camping in a great place such that two hours of air conditioning is not anywhere near long enough and you may not want to idle your main engine to provide air conditoning for, example, 10-12 hours a day for multiple days.

2. A cold wave with sleet or snow that sticks around longer than expected and is dangerous to travel in and your propane system experiences a propane run-out or system failure such that you might want to run electric heaters powered by the diesel generator for long periods.

3. Dead coach batteries along with low sun conditions coupled with a failed interconnect solenoid so that the idling main engine's alternator no longer tops up the coach batteries (this has happened twice to us) ... hence wanting to use the diesel generator to top up the coach batteries because the small generator is out of fuel.

4. A cold wave that sticks around longer than expected and is cold enough to render the lithium batteries nearly impossible to charge (cold temperatures are their weakness), such that hour after hour the diesel generator or idling of the main engine is the only way to get heat into the coach (the propane furnace requires 12 volts from somewhere).

I could go on with more unpredictable scenarios, but you should be able to see now that the name of the game is options - and a big generator powered from the main fuel tank can provide priceless options to help minimize trip-ending, or even dangerous, situations.
Phil G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 06:41 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Wow, then all those new Winnebago Revels won't sell then since they don't have a generator on board. Likewise for all those DIY Sprinter conversions none of which have generators or can even plug into shore!

@NYBobbo:
In the US, LP and diesel are similar prices, especially in CA. If I use the furnace, it's all LP and it'll keep water lines from freezing. Don't happen often anyway unless you go to very cold places. It'll have to go well below 30 to freeze them.

@Phil:
Plan B? This is why I said I may get a Honda generator. I can leave it at home 99% of the time and only take it when I know I will need it.
1. If it's that hot that I need 10-12 hours of AC, I don't consider that great camping.
2. Umm. If I have LP failure, I have more to worry about than heater. My fridge won't work and I won't be able to cook.
3. Well that's a lot of ifs here.
4. Not going to happen since the battery is inside the coach. It'll be at least 32 degrees otherwise the kids won't be happy..
Old 10-01-2017, 09:43 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

fourgonbound,

"Wow, then all those new Winnebago Revels won't sell then since they don't have a generator on board. Likewise for all those DIY Sprinter conversions none of which have generators or can even plug into shore!"

Yep .... they're relying on the sun shining often enough and/or technology to work well enough, long enough, to keep them out of trouble no matter what unforeseen circumstances may present themselves. After spending a 37 year career in high tech and 70,000 miles in our RV all over the U.S. - I've learned not to trust technology or only Plan A's. We have a couple of generators in our RV and do trust statistics to ensure that one of the two or the engine alternator will always work.

"1. If it's that hot that I need 10-12 hours of AC, I don't consider that great camping.
2. Umm. If I have LP failure, I have more to worry about than heater. My fridge won't work and I won't be able to cook."

On multiple thousand mile RV trips we want to be able to thumb our noses at hot (or cold) weather ... to do this requires a generator. My built-in Onan can do everything that hookups can ... including run the refrigerator, and power a hot plate to cook on. We also carry three different types of small propane bottle powered outside cooking appliances for great Plan B options, in addition to the Plan A outside ambiance they make possible.

I think it is the Marines(?) that say "Plan for the worst and hope for the best". Probably that works for everyone else, too.
Phil G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 04:57 AM   #10
Winnie-Wise

The new Revel is nice for a short trip. It's a class B. It's very limited with cassette toilet and a shower that is in the closet which also is the toilet. The bed is in the storage compartment. I took a look at it when it was announced, it's not for me.

Hey if you want to get rid of your gen by all means do it, there would be a fight if anyone wanted to take mine.
Old 10-02-2017, 09:33 AM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYBobbo View Post
I took a look at it when it was announced, it's not for me.
That's it Everyone has different lifestyles. People think that Revel would be for short trips but I know people who live in van that size full-time.
Old 10-02-2017, 09:45 AM   #12
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil G. View Post
Yep .... they're relying on the sun shining often enough and/or technology to work well enough, long enough, to keep them out of trouble no matter what unforeseen circumstances may present themselves. After spending a 37 year career in high tech and 70,000 miles in our RV all over the U.S. - I've learned not to trust technology or only Plan A's. We have a couple of generators in our RV and do trust statistics to ensure that one of the two or the engine alternator will always work.

On multiple thousand mile RV trips we want to be able to thumb our noses at hot (or cold) weather ... to do this requires a generator. My built-in Onan can do everything that hookups can ... including run the refrigerator, and power a hot plate to cook on. We also carry three different types of small propane bottle powered outside cooking appliances for great Plan B options, in addition to the Plan A outside ambiance they make possible.

I think it is the Marines(?) that say "Plan for the worst and hope for the best". Probably that works for everyone else, too.
So let me summarize, you have:
- 2 generators on one RV on top of engine alternator
- Electrical cooktop on top of LP cooktop
- 3 extra propane bottles on top of the main one
Sounds a little excessive to me unless if you live in the middle of nowhere.
Why would I want to have a double of every single items in my coach?
It's not like we're adventuring in the middle of the Sahara desert...
Old 10-05-2017, 10:32 AM   #13
Winnie-Wise

You mentioned idling the engine to recharge your lithium batteries. When you screw up the emission system and Mercedes denies your warranty claim for excessive idling, are you going to wish you still had the generator? BTW, idling is very much frowned on with diesel engines with advanced pollution equipment. The DPF and SCR (DEF) components and their related support hardware and sensors just do not want to be idled. And yes, Mercedes can read your engine computer and check idling time.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 01:56 PM   #14
Winnebago Camper

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourgonbound View Post
So let me summarize, you have:
- 2 generators on one RV on top of engine alternator
- Electrical cooktop on top of LP cooktop
- 3 extra propane bottles on top of the main one
Sounds a little excessive to me unless if you live in the middle of nowhere.
Why would I want to have a double of every single items in my coach?
It's not like we're adventuring in the middle of the Sahara desert...
I have a 2000 Winnebago Ultimate Advantage. I purchased it just before Christmas 2016. I have not had a problem with the generator yet, but would not mind having an extra portable honda generator. I live in Las Vegas NV and it does get hot here. I like to boondock and like to use my generator for electrical power. Like I said I have not had a problem with my generator yet, but I have had power problems. My first outing, I went to my Sister's house for Christmas 2016. Slept in the MH the night before and ran everything. The next day I killed my batteries trying to make coffee with the inverter on the Drive to California. The batteries were so dead they would not start the generator. We had no power or heat for Christmas. I have learned more about power management after that. I learned my MH will only charge the batteries from the Inverter/charger when plugged into shore power or the genset running. This is not the first time I have had trouble charging the batteries. In July I lost my Inverter/charger by plugging into an open neutral and seeing sparks fly from the inverter/charger. The inverter still works, but the charger will not charge the batteries anymore. I want to upgrade my inverter, add solar, and some sort of device that can switch the alternator from charging the chassis batteries to the house batteries. I find my generator useful.

I do carry an extra 5 lb propane tank for my outside kitchen. I do not want to tie into the coach LP system as I would be scared to blow myself up with a propane leak.

I want an electrical induction cook plate for my RV. I think it would be useful.

I have had intermittent problems with the LP system. Once I could not get the hot water heater to work on Propane and ran the generator to heat the water.

I know my unit is older and things are falling apart. I feel once I get some things replaced this will be a great unit for me. For me it is important to make everything that came with the motor home work. I will keep my generator.

Thanks
Old 10-05-2017, 07:04 PM   #15
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvlabs View Post
You mentioned idling the engine to recharge your lithium batteries. When you screw up the emission system and Mercedes denies your warranty claim for excessive idling, are you going to wish you still had the generator? BTW, idling is very much frowned on with diesel engines with advanced pollution equipment. The DPF and SCR (DEF) components and their related support hardware and sensors just do not want to be idled. And yes, Mercedes can read your engine computer and check idling time.
I mentioned that as a last resort option but definitely not what I want to do on a regular basis. Likewise for AC, in the end I don't even want to use AC.

I know it's frowned upon but it seems like from reading online, you gotta abuse it to really cause issues with the engine.

For us, since we don't haul a car, we tend to move a bunch with the RV, so if needed it'll charge the battery. But right now, I don't even turn that on (I added a master switch to disable alternator charging). My 400w of solar is more than enough.
Old 10-05-2017, 07:09 PM   #16
Winnebago Camper

Bill,
By default, RV coach batteries are crap. This is why I upgraded to lithium battery and also added a bunch of solar panels.
Before, I could barely boondock for like 24h before the coach batteries were low. Now I can boondock forever in the summer no problem, electric kettle for coffee/tea morning and evening, instant pot for cooking, plenty of TV if we stay in, laptop charging, and even electric water heater (to speed up water heating on top of LP heating), etc. And never ran anywhere low, not even close.
Old 10-11-2017, 11:14 AM   #17
Winnebago Owner

What brand coach batteries did you have before the lithiums?
staggerlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 11:32 AM   #18
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by staggerlee View Post
What brand coach batteries did you have before the lithiums?
NAPA 8240 I think.
Old 02-25-2018, 11:31 AM   #19
Winnebago Camper

still available

Tags
cummins, diesel, generator, onan, sale