Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-15-2012, 11:01 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

What's the difference between Itasca Sunflyer and Winnebego Chieftain? Same company?

I just downloaded the brochure on the Itasca SunFlyer and I am amazed at the similarity, about 80% identical to my 85 Winnebego Chieftan. Would the basic frame, structure components, and construction method be the same? Just curious. They both look well built for the year. Thanks for any help with my curiosity.

20016 - Starcraft Launch Ultra Lite - 26BHS travel trailer
Gary G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 06:52 AM   #2
Winnie-Wise

I don't know if the Chieftan and Sunflyer are "identical" twins or not, but they are brands of the same company....Winnebago Industries.

Kinda like Chevy and GMC pick up trucks, except those may not be produced in the SAME factory, whereas the Itasca and Winnebago models ARE produced in the same location-Forest City, Iowa.

Usually, the primary difference between the Itasca and Winnebago coaches are the fabric and paint scheme colors. Pricing is almost identical, they just package the options differently to make it appear there are differences....and some will try to tell you the Itasca coaches are more "upscale". IMO, the differences are slight and I believe that "beauty is in the eye of the beholder".
Old 04-16-2012, 08:43 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

Back when Winnebago first started they had a contract with Dodge for chassis. In order to go with General Motors they had to start a new brand, Itasca.
1999 Jeep Cherokee & 1991 Jeep Wrangler Renegade
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 09:03 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

Aesthetics!
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 10:02 AM   #5

Why ask ::: One says ITASCA SUNFLYER THE OTHER SAYS WINNEBAGO CHIEFTON; Thats the differance;;
bachler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 10:44 AM   #6
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary G. View Post
I just downloaded the brochure on the Itasca SunFlyer and I am amazed at the similarity, about 80% identical to my 85 Winnebego Chieftan. Would the basic frame, structure components, and construction method be the same? Just curious. They both look well built for the year. Thanks for any help with my curiosity.
I have an '02 Suncruiser (Itasca). My buddy has an '02 Adventurer. Both on W22 Chassis, both 8.1l Workhorse. Only difference is some upgrades to finishes and fixtures. Also, I get a consistent 7.3 MPG. Best he can do is 6.8. We both tow ~ same vehicles and drive ~ same ~ 58-62 MPH. Can't explain the difference.

YMMV

2002 Itasca Suncruiser - WH Chassis - 35U - 2006 Jeep Liberty
hamguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 01:18 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for the responses. You all confirmed my suspicions. The Itasca brochure just shows/tells a lot more about how the unit is constructed, etc. than the Winnebego one does. I am anxious to go and get it from the dealer, drive it home and get to the detailing. He is installing an awning I found on craig's list (free labor) so I thought I'd just have him do it. I'll pick it up in a few weeks (he is also storing it for me free of charge). No room here at my home. I am really enjoying this forum. I'm a rv newbie and trying to learn all I can about rv'ing!

20016 - Starcraft Launch Ultra Lite - 26BHS travel trailer
Gary G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 01:30 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by bachler View Post
Why ask ::: One says ITASCA SUNFLYER THE OTHER SAYS WINNEBAGO CHIEFTON; Thats the differance;;

And that's the truth!
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
itasca