Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-21-2018, 09:40 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Oldie But Goodie

We have become the owners of an abandoned Winnebago Brave. I'm looking for information on what year it is, etc. Anything would be helpful. We are considering restoring it or selling it. Thanks!
Nyoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 09:57 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

Congrats and welcome. We're going to need more information in order to help. Do you have photos to share? Any tags or markings on the RV?
SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 10:10 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Brave

Here are some pictures of the Winnebago Brave we have inherited. What year is it? Any information on it would be greatly appreciated!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20181117_145752.jpg
Views:	240
Size:	477.3 KB
ID:	170606   Click image for larger version

Name:	20181117_145811.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	302.8 KB
ID:	170607  

Click image for larger version

Name:	20181117_145827.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	222.3 KB
ID:	170608   Click image for larger version

Name:	20181117_145919.jpg
Views:	224
Size:	399.1 KB
ID:	170609  

Old 11-21-2018, 10:43 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

Got some info like VIN number? That can be used to get lots of straight scoop by decoding the VIN.
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 10:50 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Where do I look for the VIN? i have nothing to go on except the license plate but that's not even for this rig according to the DMV. Thanks!
Old 11-21-2018, 11:00 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahW View Post
Congrats and welcome. We're going to need more information in order to help. Do you have photos to share? Any tags or markings on the RV?
Where do I look for the VIN? is there a plate on the dashboard? It's locked so I can't get inside unless I break a window. Don't really want to do that. Thanks!
Old 11-21-2018, 01:44 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

VIN should be visible from the outside on the dash - a small steel plate.

Take a good close squint at the tail lights, you'll often find a date stamped into the those, along with the other codes. It's a sure thing those lights (and the headlights) are actually from some other car or truck, so it's possible the lights are a model year or two older than your RV, but it would at least get you in the ballpark.

Then take a good close look at the headlights, there is a code stamped into them. Give that code to Google and they will tell you what model and year vehicle those are from.
Old 11-21-2018, 01:48 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Have you tried those sliding windows to see if they'll move enough to let you in?
Maybe swing by your favorite hardware store and buy one of those suction cup handles that folks use to carry big pieces of glass or mirrors, that'll give you a better grip.
I wouldn't be surprised if one of the windows is unlocked, but stuck due to age.

Before you break a window, think about going in through one of the big holes already in the roof. Skylight, vent, whatever looks like it would be easy to remove and replace. Doing that WILL create a leak that you'll want to fix right away, otherwise you'll start rotting the inside of the RV (if that hasn't already happened).
Old 11-21-2018, 01:54 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

Truth is that it may not be worth the effort! If no title to get the vin, it's locked and no keys, that is likely to just be the start of the money needed and old ones that get down too far are more the type thing that people offer up for free if it is hauled off!
But then, I also may be way to down on it. Do you have any idea of the history? Like if a relative had it and has passed, do you know how long it has been since it run?

This is the sort of ads where they sometimes wind up:
https://waco.craigslist.org/zip/d/ol...747807424.html
Old 11-21-2018, 01:57 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

This just in?
I did find this on the Winnebago site and might help once you get access:
https://winnebagoind.com/resources/m..._Motorhome.pdf
Old 11-21-2018, 02:16 PM   #11
Winnebago Camper

I know it's been sitting for at least 12 years. The plate expired in 2006. The county sheriff knows who the owner is but aren't authorized to tell me. The owner left the state in 2013. I'm hitting lots of roadblocks trying to get a title and keys so I'm going to assume it's abandoned and try to take possession.
Old 11-21-2018, 02:19 PM   #12
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Podivin View Post
Have you tried those sliding windows to see if they'll move enough to let you in?
Maybe swing by your favorite hardware store and buy one of those suction cup handles that folks use to carry big pieces of glass or mirrors, that'll give you a better grip.
I wouldn't be surprised if one of the windows is unlocked, but stuck due to age.

Before you break a window, think about going in through one of the big holes already in the roof. Skylight, vent, whatever looks like it would be easy to remove and replace. Doing that WILL create a leak that you'll want to fix right away, otherwise you'll start rotting the inside of the RV (if that hasn't already happened).
I can see through the windows. Doesn't look like it has roof leaks or water damage but has been ransacked inside. Appliances are gone, generator is gone. Looking on the bright side. Could be a big project depending on the motor and tranny.
Old 11-21-2018, 02:21 PM   #13
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morich View Post
This just in?
I did find this on the Winnebago site and might help once you get access:
https://winnebagoind.com/resources/m..._Motorhome.pdf
Thank you! As soon as I find the VIN I'll decipher it. I think it's an '82 looking at body style and old photos.
Old 11-21-2018, 02:25 PM   #14
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Podivin View Post
VIN should be visible from the outside on the dash - a small steel plate.

Take a good close squint at the tail lights, you'll often find a date stamped into the those, along with the other codes. It's a sure thing those lights (and the headlights) are actually from some other car or truck, so it's possible the lights are a model year or two older than your RV, but it would at least get you in the ballpark.

Then take a good close look at the headlights, there is a code stamped into them. Give that code to Google and they will tell you what model and year vehicle those are from.
Thought so. I'll have to get a ladder and climb up there. Looks like it's and '82 judging by pictures I've found lately. Thank you!
Old 11-21-2018, 02:28 PM   #15
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morich View Post
Truth is that it may not be worth the effort! If no title to get the vin, it's locked and no keys, that is likely to just be the start of the money needed and old ones that get down too far are more the type thing that people offer up for free if it is hauled off!
But then, I also may be way to down on it. Do you have any idea of the history? Like if a relative had it and has passed, do you know how long it has been since it run?

This is the sort of ads where they sometimes wind up:
https://waco.craigslist.org/zip/d/ol...747807424.html
I've called 3 different towing companies. Offered to pay to have them take it away so we don't have to plow snow around it this year. So far nobody has come to get it. It's sure not as bad as the one in that craigslist ad! LoL!
Old 11-21-2018, 02:58 PM   #16
Winnebago Master

If it's been that long and trouble to get the title, then it gets really hard to figure it being a motorhome again as there are so many that do have the appliances left in them. In my area they get hauled out and used as hunting cabins but once the appliances are gone, they are just scrap. New tires will be more than I would want to spring for as it will still not be worth enough to bother putting a frig, stove, and furnace back into it. Back when hay hauling for a smaller operation, they could be handy as a farm truck but those days are pretty scarce now.
Old 11-23-2018, 02:39 AM   #17
Winnebago Camper

Can you get in through the outside fridge access panel?

Picture Posting Guide
charge-it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 08:01 AM   #18
Winnebago Camper

I'll have to work on a few things today. I'll try that. I've gained some good information about where to find the VIN, etc. thanks!
Old 11-23-2018, 08:04 AM   #19
Winnebago Master

The air condition still there? That is one of the more expensive items and they get removed pretty quick if they are still working. If you have not checked, there may be a very large hole in the roof!
Good luck to the project but do keep in mind that this is a pretty steep hill to climb?
Old 11-28-2018, 04:29 PM   #20
Winnebago Camper

You have a perfect item to restore providing the inside is sound.