Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-28-2018, 04:38 PM   #21
Winnebago Camper

This is around a 1979 model. Go to Google images on your computer and search 1979 Winnebago Brave and check the pictures. (There will be some other random pictures in there as well). Don't punch a window out. Get a locksmith to pick the lock for you. It'll be cheaper in the long run. Winnebago used Dodge and Chevrolet chassis at that time so it will be powered by a 440 cu. in. Dodge or 454 cu. in. Chevrolet engine. Once you get into the coach, you will be able to find out a lot more. Usually, RV owners keep a pouch of papers the came with it. They will give you all the information about what equipment it has. Good luck and keep us posted!
Trophyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 04:40 PM   #22
Winnebago Owner

Just have a mobile locksmith make you a couple of keys. You will need them anyway. I know with motorcycles there are ways to get title to untitled bikes in certain states, then transfer that title to your home state. IIRC there are services that asist with this. Check with your clerk to see if thay can help you get title. Google some title services for antique cars to see what they cost.
Old 11-28-2018, 05:04 PM   #23
Winnebago Owner

Check your area for a mobile RV tech, quite often these old puppies have door keys that will fit others. If not a locksmith can come out and open it cheaper than buying glass. If/when you get inside look at the wall next to the driver's seat for a decal that should have all the info you need. At this point check the mileage and see if things like the floor are solid. If that's good, try and get it started. Next problem is that old units do NOT like the current ethanol gas, so fuel lines and the carburetor present a challenge. Sorry, but it might not be worth saving.
jmo01830 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 05:56 PM   #24
Winnebago Camper

Old Winnie

Folks have a hard enough time keeping their much more modern RV s in running condition....with what you have said, save yourself a whole host of headaches, call a wrecker and pay to haul it away (sometimes they will do it for scrap value)
1953m38a1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 06:00 PM   #25
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawpawboyce View Post
You have a perfect item to restore providing the inside is sound.
Thank you! I got inside it the other day. The stove and sink are still there but there is a big space where the fridge used to be. I will have to find an expert to look at it. Not sure where the keys are or how to get a title on it but I'm being optimistic .
Nyoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 09:29 PM   #26
'08 Itasca Ellipse 40WD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyoung View Post
We have become the owners of an abandoned Winnebago Brave. I'm looking for information on what year it is, etc. Anything would be helpful. We are considering restoring it or selling it. Thanks!
You are making this too complicted. Hire a lock smith. When you get in, the VIN will be on a plate on the left side of the driver's seat. No sense in damaging the coach at all. Then call Winnebago service , 800-537-1885, and explain your plight. They can then send you the build sheet on when the coach was built and how it was originally equipped. These guys are incredibly helpful. Your next problem will be to contact your local license bureau and go through the steps to obtain a new title as an abandoned (?) vehicle and get it licensed. The coach looks to be good shape so dive In and have fun. Winnebago service can also walk you through the website to find all the electrical, plumbing etc. manuals on line and away you go. They can also provide the key codes and perhaps even send you new ignition, door and compartment lock keys to.
rkennedy1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 09:50 PM   #27
Winnebago Master

A locksmith might be able to help get in the door.
Old 11-28-2018, 09:55 PM   #28
'08 Itasca Ellipse 40WD.

Glad you got In to find the VIN. Now call Winnevago service @ 800-537-1885 and they can walk you through the website for the electrical, plumbing manuals and send you the original build sheet that provides the build date and list of all the original equipment. They can also send you new ignition, door and compartment keys too. These guys are incredibly helpful. Don't send this coach to salvage. Dive in and have fun.
rkennedy1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 10:32 PM   #29
Winnebago Master

SeHave the major things checked out, engine, drive train, etc. Also signs of leaks, which could have done significant damage.

Hold off on spending any significant money until you have your hands around what you're facing in total. You don't want to start and find yourself in over your head after spending serious money.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 08:38 AM   #30
Winnebago Master

Some small points that can get really large are how things go downhill much faster when not being used. Things like the oil not being changed? It often leaves the acids in the oil to etch things which would not when used. A bit of moisture in the brake fluid asit sets? Brake fluid goes bad, once open, so in the RV it can mean the wheel cylinders are rusted. I bought an old one that had been used by folks who took pictures at Wal-mart and didn't drive it much, only to find that the master cylinder and all wheel cylinders were ruined.
Moisture does weird things when it collects and stays like on the furnace. The inside may not be as good as it looks on the outside, so I would not want to sleep in it until I had somebody look at the furnace.
Bottom line question to ask yourself? Why does nobody else want to tackle this project?
It's pretty odd when I know something nobody else has figured out!
Good project for the experience and mental exercise but not a good investment, maybe.
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 09:47 AM   #31
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkennedy1966 View Post
You are making this too complicted. Hire a lock smith. When you get in, the VIN will be on a plate on the left side of the driver's seat. No sense in damaging the coach at all. Then call Winnebago service , 800-537-1885, and explain your plight. They can then send you the build sheet on when the coach was built and how it was originally equipped. These guys are incredibly helpful. Your next problem will be to contact your local license bureau and go through the steps to obtain a new title as an abandoned (?) vehicle and get it licensed. The coach looks to be good shape so dive In and have fun. Winnebago service can also walk you through the website to find all the electrical, plumbing etc. manuals on line and away you go. They can also provide the key codes and perhaps even send you new ignition, door and compartment lock keys to.
Thank you! I've gotten inside with no problems. Found the VIN and sent it to the factory in Iowa. They have been very helpful with them build sheet but I didn't know they could make keys for it. Today our local DMV is open so I'll go there to start getting a title for it.
Old 11-29-2018, 09:59 AM   #32
Winnebago Camper

Oldie but Goodie

So, has anybody ever seen a VIN plate stuck to the outside of the coach near the entrance door? Is this common? It just looks strange to me.
Old 11-30-2018, 02:38 AM   #33
DGRBRUV

Lovely old example of a classic. Well worth the effort to get in back into service. Good luck
DGRBRUV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 06:22 PM   #34
Winnebago Camper

Brave FIND

Feel around fenders for a set of keys
Indy Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 06:19 PM   #35
Winnebago Watcher

Age of RV

Try looking at the tail lights lens. You should see the 2-digit year. That should be +/- a year because the manufactured date might be different from the model year.

Another idea is to get the VIN # and try to find it on the Winning website.
asalvitti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 06:20 AM   #36
Winnebago Camper

Oldie but Goody VIN

Thank you for the info. I did find the VIN thanks to the help of this site. It's an '83. I'm now in the process of taking possession and getting a title. I've found a local mechanic who will look at the engine to see if it's worth saving.
Old 01-02-2019, 07:31 AM   #37
Winnebago Camper

Free to a good home! Oldie But Goodie!

If there is anybody out there who is interested in this fixer upper contact me about it. We have decided it's a little too much for us to take on. Free for the taking. Our county sheriff has passed judgement that it's definitely abandoned and can be taken possession of legally by anybody.
Old 01-02-2019, 09:49 AM   #38
Winnebago Master

You're smart to make this decision before sinking money into it. Hopefully someone with experience in rehabbing old rigs will take it off your hand.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 06:29 AM   #39
Winnebago Camper

Thank you for your advice. It left our parking lot today and I will probably never see it again. A little sad in a way but it was too much of a project for me being a first time renovator.
Old 01-03-2019, 06:32 AM   #40
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morich View Post
Some small points that can get really large are how things go downhill much faster when not being used. Things like the oil not being changed? It often leaves the acids in the oil to etch things which would not when used. A bit of moisture in the brake fluid asit sets? Brake fluid goes bad, once open, so in the RV it can mean the wheel cylinders are rusted. I bought an old one that had been used by folks who took pictures at Wal-mart and didn't drive it much, only to find that the master cylinder and all wheel cylinders were ruined.
Moisture does weird things when it collects and stays like on the furnace. The inside may not be as good as it looks on the outside, so I would not want to sleep in it until I had somebody look at the furnace.
Bottom line question to ask yourself? Why does nobody else want to tackle this project?
It's pretty odd when I know something nobody else has figured out!
Good project for the experience and mental exercise but not a good investment, maybe.
Yes, you are right. I gave the 1983 Brave away yesterday with just a tinge of regret but it was just too much for a first time renovator like me to tackle. Thanks for your advice!