Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Vintage Rigs - Retro is cool!
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 06-22-2017, 08:38 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

03 Chieftain 39C Opinions

Been having a hard time getting this years motorhome, have found a nice 39c. Seems to be a better quality than some of the other gasser's. Any opinions???
89sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 01:19 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

We looked very closely at the 02 39c before buying our UA. DW really liked the 39c. The primary reason we did not go for it was we were planning to full time in it, and we felt the ccc was not adequate for us ...as I recall it was apx 750lb.
Old 06-23-2017, 03:08 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

This one looks real nice.

2003 Winnebago Chieftain 39C, Class A - Gas RV For Sale in Phoenix, Arizona | Southwest Luxury Coach Sales - Turner 223 | RVT.com - 130987

I assume it's on the W22 chassis. This one has lots of options including the washer/dryer and 7000w Genset. I would guess with it all optioned out like that it would be near the GVWR without much personal gear and supplies. Maybe that's what Paul was talking about above. Looks like a very nice coach for the money. It has a big shower and a separate toilet area for a little more privacy. This one has a big generator too. Not sure why it needs so much generator but it's fuel injected so that has to be better than the carb'd version I would think. Alcoa's look good too.

100,000 miles is a little on the high side but these chassis have gone much longer than that. IF the tires and batteries are new or even newer then $35k might be a pretty fair price for a good looking coach.
AKIQPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 01:15 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

That is the one, came online last night, bought it first thing this morning. Was too good a deal even with the miles to pass up. I'm a mechanic so that makes buying with the miles a lot less stressful. Dealer said it's one of the nicest older coachs he's ever seen, was a trade in on a new unit, that's why they didn't just wholesale it. They have all service invoices including the one for the paint job that was done at the Winnebago factory in 2011. Previous owner must have been totally anal, like myself, to pay what he did just for the paint! The CCC doesn't bother me, we are weekend warriors. We go 180 miles round trip to ride atv's at the coast or 70 miles round trip to our favorite campground. Just take enough food and clothes for the weekend. Wife loves a big bedroom and I love a big living area, looks like we are both winners with this one.

Love that fuel injected generator, no carb to worry about clogging up. Tv's are already upgraded. In fact am planning on putting one and a dvd player in the outside storage compartment that has the stereo to complete the outside entertainment center. Alcoa's, surround sound, powered visors, eye level tv, residential heat pump, walk through bathroom, the list just goes on! Love the floor, no fighting keeping the carpet clean with grandkids. The batteries are a year old and the rear tires are 2015's. They are putting new Toyo's on the front as part of the deal. Can't wait to fly down to pick it up Wed or Thurs, just in time to take it out for the 4th Have been dying to get one with full body paint, but in my price range they are few and far between. I'm getting too old to be buffing 34-40 foot units every year with oxidized gelcoat and faded graphics Fell in love the moment I saw the pics, had to have it when I saw the price...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	7522708_17.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	135.9 KB
ID:	166163   Click image for larger version

Name:	7522708_19.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	137.5 KB
ID:	166164  

Name:	7522708_20.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	126.5 KB
ID:	166165  
Old 06-24-2017, 04:37 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Great buy sandman. That is an awesome coach. The floorplan is similar to our 38j up front and similar to our suncruiser in the rear only bigger. Sounds like you are familiar with the workhorse chassis but if not you will be very pleased. There are plenty of motor and suspension mods available for that girl that will make it run and handle like a dream. Keep us posted on how things look once you pick it up and bring it home. This place is a one stop shop for just about everything you could ever want to know about winnebagos and workhorse motorhomes.

Congrats on the purchase on a great looking coach.
Old 06-24-2017, 01:58 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

I had actually looked at a 06 38j earlier that I really liked. Only had 14k but the people had lived in it and weren't the cleanest people and somehow had managed to gouge every storage door on the outside.

Have owned two units with the workhorse and work on the 8.1l with the Allison in Chevy pickups quite often. I buy a unit at the beginning of the season every year and sell it around October and make a little money. Market was a lot tougher this year, usually have bought one by April. If I get a good enough deal and really like the unit sometimes I'll use it for 2 seasons. Since I got this one so late I hope it turns out to be a good one and will use it again next year. Will find out real quick it's a long trip from Arizona to Oregon.
Old 06-24-2017, 03:22 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89sandman View Post
I had actually looked at a 06 38j earlier that I really liked. Only had 14k but the people had lived in it and weren't the cleanest people and somehow had managed to gouge every storage door on the outside.

Have owned two units with the workhorse and work on the 8.1l with the Allison in Chevy pickups quite often. I buy a unit at the beginning of the season every year and sell it around October and make a little money. Market was a lot tougher this year, usually have bought one by April. If I get a good enough deal and really like the unit sometimes I'll use it for 2 seasons. Since I got this one so late I hope it turns out to be a good one and will use it again next year. Will find out real quick it's a long trip from Arizona to Oregon.
Sounds like you know what you're getting into. You flying down to get it?
You probably know this but there are guys on the WH forum that can run the VIN for you and get you a build sheet and details on any open or completed recalls. You may be able to get them yourself too. Good luck.

We bought the 38J in March on the east coast. Flew over in May to pick it up and drove it part way back to the south west. Virginia was a 9 hr flight from Anchorage and the whole way down I was telling my wife not to be too disappointed if it isn't in pristine condition. Pictures always looked better than reality. As soon as we laid eyes on it we knew we made the right choice. We found a good one in absolutely perfect shape with low miles and not even a scratch inside or out. We are super excited to own it.
Old 06-25-2017, 12:15 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Flying down Thursday, the little woman can't go so its gonna be a long solo drive home! Trying to plan my route now, hoping to stay away from the LA traffic as much as possible. Just noticed your avatar, I've been sledding since the mid 90's. Love to spend the days in the trees boondocking!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCN6821.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	120.4 KB
ID:	166318  
Old 06-25-2017, 01:05 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89sandman View Post
Flying down Thursday, the little woman can't go so its gonna be a long solo drive home! Trying to plan my route now, hoping to stay away from the LA traffic as much as possible. Just noticed your avatar, I've been sledding since the mid 90's. Love to spend the days in the trees boondocking!
Yea, there is nothing quite like getting into the backcountry and enjoying winter. I've been riding sleds since about 1973.

This is 10 minutes from home.

We do this all winter long.