Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-14-2018, 08:22 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Winter Camping - Micro Minnie

Hello!

My husband and I are considering purchasing a 2018 or 2017 Micro Minnie 1700BH. One of our primary uses for the trailer would be camping while skiing, as many ski resorts near our house allow RV parking in the parking lot and hotels in the area are limited and very expensive. Before we take the plunge I'm trying to find out as much information as I can about how these trailers fare in winter conditions. The temperatures at the resorts near us do tend to drop into the single digits at night (weather report predicts a low of 4º this coming Saturday night!), so the trailer would need to withstand real sustained cold.

Does anyone on here have first-hand experience with winter camping in a Micro Minnie? How have you fared? Did you make any modifications to your trailer to make the experience more comfortable?

I'm concerned both about comfort in the trailer and also about water tanks freezing. Some of our target destinations have RV hookups and some do not; I'm contemplating investing in extra tank heaters to use when we have power and then just keeping the trailer winterized and not using the water (only the toilet when necessary, flushing with antifreeze) when we don't have power.

Thanks so much for any information you can provide!
Beloculus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 06:39 AM   #2
Winnie-Wise

Most of my winter camping experience is with a different trailer where the water lines ran outside the envelope along the frame. I have never been into single digits. Usually it was just into the high 20's for a couple of hours which didn't cause us any problems. For the few times we knew we were going to be below freezing for long periods we just left the trailer winterized and used the campground's facilities. I also dumped some antifreeze into the holding tanks and we would use bottled water for things like brushing teeth or cooking. When we were prepping for our last trip we did have temps below freezing for around hours. I plan to do the same with out MM.

If we were using our MM in the temperatures you are talking about I would just leave the trailer winterized and use the campground facilities. While the water lines are inside the trailer envelope some are in areas where it would be hard to get heat to them. The outside shower in particular. I would also have concerns about the fresh water tank and holding tanks since they are also exposed to unheated areas and wouldn't take long to freeze at the temps you're talking about. You might be able to get by if you enclosed the undercarriage area and heated it but with frozen ground I doubt it would be effective. Not to mention it would be a lot of work for a weekend trip.
old_engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 08:10 AM   #3

“I'm concerned both about comfort in the trailer and also about water tanks freezing.“

Four degrees? Forget about your comfort and any water will freeze.
LarryW is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camping, winter