Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-03-2006, 01:06 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

I was listening to an RV Talk radio program Saturday morning. One of the guests was the Southeastern Sales Representative from Winnebago Industries.
He mentioned that Winnebago was the "only" RV Manufacturer that performs drop tests !!!
He went on the describe the last video he saw when the dropped a "View" on it's roof !!!
I would love to see that video, any ideas????
Old 07-03-2006, 01:06 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

I was listening to an RV Talk radio program Saturday morning. One of the guests was the Southeastern Sales Representative from Winnebago Industries.
He mentioned that Winnebago was the "only" RV Manufacturer that performs drop tests !!!
He went on the describe the last video he saw when the dropped a "View" on it's roof !!!
I would love to see that video, any ideas????
Old 07-03-2006, 02:53 PM   #3
Winnie-Wise

I remember seeing a comercial of Winnie dropping a unit on its roof years ago. I have often wondered if they still do that. Would love to see the video too.
Kazoo Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 03:02 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise

Call WIT, 800-643-4892. They may be able to provide a PR VCR tape of Winnebago factory environs, with the "drop" in it.

Thudman

Koni FSD's, TracBar rear, SteerSafe, 50A SurgeGuard, Eternabond; 2012 Honda CRV EXL w/Nav & AWD
Thudman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 03:46 PM   #5
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Industries has their own test track right across the street from the plant and they test every prototype model on the track at speeds that any one of us would cringe at. I was brought on the track in a mini-van and it was hairy then. I can only imagine how beat up a motorhome would get.

The tour director also said that they wire the thing with all types of sensors before they leave for the track so they do get a lot of valuable data from the run that the engineers can analyze once they get the data plugged into their design computers.

Winnebago controls the entire construction process of the motorhome from inception to delivery.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006, 10:23 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

I got a copy of the DVD from our local Suncoast Dealer. It is titled "A Closer Look How to build a better motor home". It was put out by Winebago and is about a 30 minute commercial for their products.
THutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006, 05:37 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

I have seen the "drop test" video snippet but I can't remember if it was on the prior version of the marketing DVD or a video playing in the Visitor's Center. The drop test I saw looked like it was filmed/videoed many, many years ago. If Winnie has done one recently they haven't publicized it very much.

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006, 09:55 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Hey Tom I will give Sun Coast a try. That is where I purchased my Ultimate Freedom.

When will you be taking delivery of the Meridian?
Old 07-05-2006, 11:51 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

RMM,

We hope to get it next week. Between the credit union financing and our salesman's schedule...looks like that's the soonest. But we visit it every weekend .

If you can't get the video, drop me a private message with your address, and I'll see if I can make you a copy .
THutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 04:58 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Thanks Tom, I will try to pick one up next weekend after we get back from River Ranch. Hey you guys are welcome to join in on the Florida Boomers adventures anytime you like.
We generally get together once a month or so for long weekends somewhere in the State. Check out the posting under "Regional Chapters"
Old 07-05-2006, 05:03 PM   #11
iRV2 Marketing

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by RMM:
Check out the posting under "Regional Chapters" </div></BLOCKQUOTE>I can vouch for that group of folks, couldn't find a better bunch of people. I had a lot of fun while camping with the "Florida Boomers".
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 09:57 AM   #12
Winnebago Owner

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DriVer:
Winnebago Industries has their own test track right across the street from the plant and they test every prototype model on the track at speeds that any one of us would cringe at. I was brought on the track in a mini-van and it was hairy then. I can only imagine how beat up a motorhome would get.

The tour director also said that they wire the thing with all types of sensors before they leave for the track so they do get a lot of valuable data from the run that the engineers can analyze once they get the data plugged into their design computers.

Winnebago controls the entire construction process of the motorhome from inception to delivery. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Last year at the Winnebago Grand National Rally I had the opportunity to go on demo test ride on their test track. They used a Vectra. The speed was 15 mph. I was shocked at the stress caused by ruts, bumps, cobble stones of different sizes mixed. The slide-outs bounced like they were coming off their slides and cabinets doors flew open. But was most surprising was the quietness..no rattles, no squeeks.

I also learned that using the data collected as Driver descibed, they are able to use the design software to simulate the damage caused by a roof drop. Besides onced dropped a $150,000 coach is junk !!
FLYTYER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2006, 04:02 AM   #13
Winnie-Wise

The "drop test" video is interesting and entertaining but that's about it. I've seen it at my Itasca dealer when I bought my Suncruiser. Both Winny and Itasca dealers have access to a set of promotional videos - one is the structural video with the drop test, one is about basement air, and I forget what the other two were about.

However, in reality it says nothing about the real-life strength of the roof. How many RVs do you see being dropped squarely on their roof? Just the one in the video. The ability to survive this has nothing to do with strength in a roll-over situation which would tend to pry the roof supports or any other real-life situation.

When I installed my solar panels I was surprised how thin the fiberglass was and also how few roo0f supports there actually were. After the first winter I could see where they were because wherever they weren't, the roof sagged slightly. When I set up my Allegro Bus I found that the roof was much more substantial and that the supports were on 16" centers, just like Newmar. But, Tiffin doesn't do a drop test so it's not as marketable.

Still, it is an entertaining video. I'd just be a bit careful about reading too much into it.
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited - Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote